My warranty states it will be voided with lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just read my extended warranty. It say drivetrain warranty will be voided if I lift my truck without approved Mopar OEM components or if I use anything not offered on a new vehicle purchase.

It also states that any approved lift has to be installed by the selling dealership or approved Mopar shop.

It also says no oversized tires must be the tires size listed on door placard.

I was going to install a 6” lift guess now I’ll have to wait.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Are you fawken serious ? Lol ..... Do you have a picture of that ?

They have to actually prove that any lift caused your drivetrain to fail and about tires lol ...they themselves add 35" tires ....

I wouldn't worry about it my friend ....

OP
OP
Hammer22801

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya I was reading my extended warranty while I’m sitting at work. It states any lift offered by Mopar on new trucks for sale can be installed on used vehicles but it must be a lift Mopar offers and can only be installed by dealership or authorized shop.

it didn’t say anything about tires Mopar offers on new vehicles it just said no tires larger than what’s on the door placard.

the writing is hazy it wouldn’t be read able in picture format.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Are you fawken serious ? Lol ..... Do you have a picture of that ?

They have to actually prove that any lift caused your drivetrain to fail and about tires lol ...they themselves add 35" tires ....

I wouldn't worry about it my friend ....
Wrong. If they specifically state that there are exemptions to the warranty that WILL void it, by purchasing the warranty you accept those terms. According to the OP, a lift and tires will void his warranty. If that’s what it says, that’s what will happen. This is not the same thing as the magnuson moss warranty act. “Just do it” is bad advice.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
This is a pretty good read.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...ll-aftermarket-parts-will-void-your-warranty/

**EDIT**

Wrong. If they specifically state that there are exemptions to the warranty that WILL void it, by purchasing the warranty you accept those terms. According to the OP, a lift and tires will void his warranty. If that’s what it says, that’s what will happen. This is not the same thing as the magnuson moss warranty act. “Just do it” is bad advice.

If you read the link above, you'll see it actually is a Mag/Moss covered issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Again ... a lift kit "CAN NOT" void a warranty .... now it can void warranty on suspension parts like the coils, shocks, control arms anything that was changed or is tied into the suspension but to say it will void the drive train warranty is completely false ...

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a lift on my truck that's aftermarket never had any problem when getting service. They love my truck and always ask, "what mod have you done lately?". The last oil change the manager said," hey you have 35950mi you need to get an extended warranty. So I bought a 4 year unlimited mile Warranty. Probably won't even have the truck that long... You should be just fine.7350ea30783feade111782c7c5518837.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hammer22801

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any repairs or replacements related to or caused by any parts of the vehicle that have be substituted for or modified with parts not considered as standard or optional equipment by the manufacture of the covered vehicle.

Any drivetrain or suspension failure will not be covered if a lift kit, lowering kit, or non-standard tires size other than those offered as standard or optional equipment by the manufacture of the coveted vehicle at the time of vehicle sale have been used on the covered vehicle.

this is word for word from my extended warranty on part 2, subsection 7 on what’s not covered.

OP
OP
Hammer22801

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like as long as I use the same lift kits Mopar offers and tires they offer I’ll be ok.

tires I’m not worried about I can always swap my stock back for the ones I’m going to run but I’m not sure what lift kits Mopar used on their jacked up off road trucks and if it’s offered on the big horn editions.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Ok here it goes ... a lift kit will not affect your drivetrain, however non-standard tires size can and do affect shift points therefore voiding anything covered by warranty ...

Again, they have to prove that whatever aftermarket parts you installed or had installed actually caused the malfunction ....

A lift kit will affect your suspension, but most lift kit companies now warranty those very parts that are replaced by their lift kit and some like Pro Comp have "lift shield warranty" that actually covers the powertrain on your trucks ...

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm wondering if those telling OP not to worry will be there to help him pay when things go sideways?? Maybe start a warranty company for those with lift kits and over-sized tires??

I'm not trying to be a **** but the people that offer warranties do have rules and there are reasons for those rules. Over-sized tires put excess strain on drive train components. Lift kits alone don't impact drive train but has anyone in the history of the world ever installed a lift without also installing over-sized tires? I'm pretty sure I've read that FCA will allow a 2" lift and one up-size in tires (whatever that means?) without voiding warranty coverage. Engineers design these trucks and the manufacturers offer warranties based on this design.

OP
OP
Hammer22801

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a lift on my truck that's aftermarket never had any problem when getting service. They love my truck and always ask, "what mod have you done lately?". The last oil change the manager said," hey you have 35950mi you need to get an extended warranty. So I bought a 4 year unlimited mile Warranty. Probably won't even have the truck that long... You should be just fine.

If you don’t mind me asking what lift do you have

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'm wondering if those telling OP not to worry will be there to help him pay when things go sideways?? Maybe start a warranty company for those with lift kits and over-sized tires??

I'm not trying to be a **** but the people that offer warranties do have rules and there are reasons for those rules. Over-sized tires put excess strain on drive train components. Lift kits alone don't impact drive train but has anyone in the history of the world ever installed a lift without also installing over-sized tires? I'm pretty sure I've read that FCA will allow a 2" lift and one up-size in tires (whatever that means?) without voiding warranty coverage. Engineers design these trucks and the manufacturers offer warranties based on this design.

Again man ... comprehension is key here lol ... the lift kit "DOES NOT" void the warranty on the drive train ...yes you will obviously add bigger tires with a lift kit but if people are smart enough they will play the game as well too ... I have taken off lift kits from trucks and so have friends so that they can be fixed under warranty before they are taken to the dealerships ...

And again ... there are quite a few lift kit companies that offer warranty for those things that the dealership will not cover ....

And no you are not being a **** .... but understand the language of how things are written in a contract ... loop holes everywhere especially in the favor of dealerships but if you are smart enough even with your lift kit on you can still get service for most things ... I mean come on are you really going to hold the dealership responsible for your drivetrain going out when you know that you have over sized tires with less than optimal gears on your truck ? lol ....

So keep that in mind .... you lift the truck then yes there is the possibility that any dealership can void you refuse to fix what was mentioned ..... but everything else is going to be covered ...

OP
OP
Hammer22801

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read somewhere that superlift is basically the same lifts as Mopar but cheaper.

I may do a superlift lift with bigger tires and if something does go wrong I’ll put my old tires back on and see what happens.

I’m thinking of going from a 20x9 wheel and 275/60/20 to 20x12 with -44 offset wheel and I’m not sure of tire size was thinking about 320/50/20 or something along those lines nothing bigger than a 35”

OP
OP
Hammer22801

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m going to have whatever I get done installed but I’m going to keep anything taken off so I can go back stock if I need to another reason I’m going to 2 different wheel/tire sizes I can swap the originals if I need.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
A manufacturer’s warranty is one thing.

A maintenance contract is another thing.

Don’t mistake one for the other when it comes to legal requirements. My thought is if you can’t afford more lawyers than the other party then it’s pretty clear what the outcome of a dispute will be.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
A manufacturer’s warranty is one thing.

A maintenance contract is another thing.

Don’t mistake one for the other when it comes to legal requirements. My thought is if you can’t afford more lawyers than the other party then it’s pretty clear what the outcome of a dispute will be.

Absolutely correct, it's a service contract not a warranty. They do allow some latitude as described early in this post but the bottom line is if they refuse to repair based on the fact you have some parts installed, then you need to get legal help, foot the bill and eventually break even or be out the cost of the contract and litigation.

If you really want the lift then settle for the value of the contract and use it to fund the lift.

It's the real definition of dead right.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^ 100% accurate.

You can get a mopar 2" lift installed and it will be covered - after that all bets are off.

AND your dealer has a lot of say in repairs, some are better than others.