Navigation Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called Uconnect to see if I could reinstall my old 14 25.5 Firmware into my radio. Of corse the guy didn't know if I could or not. He said that the problem with the screen blacking out on Nav is due to a problem with the signal not the Firmware which makes sense due to the fact that the updates worked fine untill Saturday when everyone started having problems at once. The part that doesn't make sense is that the radios with the older Firmware don't seem to be affected. Maybe the radios with the new Firmware receive there signal differently because of the security enhancements? Who knows. He
said they are working on the problem but don't have a time frame on when it might be figured out. I thought our radios just hooked up to the satellites like any other GPS. I am not sure what signal they are talking about other than the satellite. I use my Nav a lot but I realy don't want to even activate it untill they get this figured out.

OP
OP
G

Griebz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So ridiculous .. Hope it gets rectified quick, I always use my nav . Checked my satellite signals , I have 12 slots and only 10 are working .. Accuracy at 26 . What is it normally at ? Would that also be a reason why it isn't storing addresses ? I tried earlier and they weren't there.. Came back after work and they appeared

klossfam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6 EcoD
Add me to the Nav blackout club. Traded my 2014 1500 5.7 for a 2015 EcoD Laramie with the 8.4 N and Sunday 8/30 was when the nav blackouts started (it was already updated with the lastest firmware). Seems to definitely be a sat issue - maybe ALIENS screwing up the signal - but it looks like everyone shows the issue starting over last weekend...On a side note, made it to 955 miles before the RAM threw a code...CEL/MIL for active shutter issue...Whole new set of shutters and the motor on order...I'd prefer an active shutter DELETE option if I could.

OP
OP
G

Griebz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks ... What is the sat accuracy supposed to be at in the first place ?

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Odd response from useless-connect. A bad signal huh? If so wouldn't the nav stutter or something kind of like a delay in updating while showing the map?? Why would it blackout then show nav initializing like it just rebooted? Just asking. [emoji55]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Odd response from useless-connect. A bad signal huh? If so wouldn't the nav stutter or something kind of like a delay in updating while showing the map?? Why would it blackout then show nav initializing like it just rebooted? Just asking. [emoji55]

A good question and for those of us who have fiddled with these radios, we recognize this screen as the one that shows up (1) after flashing firmware or (2) after a factory reset.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Griebz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just used the Nav for 30-40 min.. No issue . When I checked the connection all of the sat connections were working

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Mine did the same thing on Sunday...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used my Nav on the way home. It's about a 30 minute commute worked with no problems. Couldn't get it to go for more than 5 or 10 minutes without going to a black screen on Monday. Not sure if it's ok now or I just happened to get lucky and it worked on the way home....hopefully whatever it was is fixed....knock on wood!

OP
OP
G

Griebz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep us posted .. Won't have my truck until tomorrow .. Getting steps and some other things done to it

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok my status update. Same as Ricks Ram. Multiple blackouts Tuesday when I used it on commute home; About 45 min. Today, same commute and no blackouts. [emoji53]

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Bad satellite signal they say, horse****, with a capital S. All navigation systems in cars are designed to work even if there is no sat signal most have software that uses the VSS to guestimate your location in case of just such a loss and that is usually when you have a total loss of satellite communication.
If what they were saying were true the following things would be happening and would have happened before.

1. Everyone would be having these issues even the folks who have not done the latest update. I have not done the latest update and have not experienced this at all.

2. This would be an issue with other make vehicles and at the very least would be a minor news item about a problem with the government satellites that provide said signal.

3. everyones radio would have been doing this all along whenever you entered a blackout area like a TUNNEL. I was stuck in traffic for close to and hour and a half in the big dig (Mass) and my Nav never went black, no sat radio whatsoever though.

This is just typical Fiat and useless-connect outright lying to customers, something that seems to be business as usual for these jerkoffs.

rpasetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Bad satellite signal they say, horse****, with a capital S. All navigation systems in cars are designed to work even if there is no sat signal most have software that uses the VSS to guestimate your location in case of just such a loss and that is usually when you have a total loss of satellite communication.
If what they were saying were true the following things would be happening and would have happened before.

1. Everyone would be having these issues even the folks who have not done the latest update. I have not done the latest update and have not experienced this at all.

2. This would be an issue with other make vehicles and at the very least would be a minor news item about a problem with the government satellites that provide said signal.

3. everyones radio would have been doing this all along whenever you entered a blackout area like a TUNNEL. I was stuck in traffic for close to and hour and a half in the big dig (Mass) and my Nav never went black, no sat radio whatsoever though.

This is just typical Fiat and useless-connect outright lying to customers, something that seems to be business as usual for these jerkoffs.

Problem happened Sunday on my Ram; that is the screen-blank-then-activating nav thing. Happened about 3 times on a 50 mile trip. Then on Monday the wife called me from our Jeep Cherokee and said same thing happening ... but it got worse.... Nav failed to calculate routes, got stuck in one location and wouldn't update. I later discovered the Nav version showed as 15.06.1, even though dealer was supposed to have put in the "security" update (15.17.5) last week. Evidently they did not; probably just messed up the 15.06.1 I had put on there back in June. I reinstalled 15.06.1 last night.

Meanwhile, on many FCA product forums there reports of this problem.... Jeep, Ram, Dodge, Chrysler with Uconnect 8.4xx versions all having same symptoms. The only thing that seems to vary is the reasons people are being given... satellites, Google, Garmin just fingerpointing I think. Real problem is likely never to be announced.

Now it seems that the blank-screen-activating-nav problem stopped happening sometime today. Hope it does not come back.

I have lost confidence in FCA and my dealer.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe hackers found a way to jack with the units this way and thought this would be funny and still show it still can be done. Just a thought, nothing else is making sense - mass reports of the same symptoms starting then stopping at what appears to be the same timeframe.

OP
OP
G

Griebz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with Everyone .. But realistically if it stopped happening today .. It Prob was a sat issue of some sort . Especially in this day in age where Everythjng is electronic .. I'm sure chevy my link has had their share of issues too. Just my two cents

rpasetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Maybe hackers found a way to jack with the units this way and thought this would be funny and still show it still can be done. Just a thought, nothing else is making sense - mass reports of the same symptoms starting then stopping at what appears to be the same timeframe.

It may be a satellite issue in the sense that something was being sent from the satellites which caused the Nav system to go haywire. Whether this was a bug in some software system or the act of hackers we don't know; but for sure, some of the answers being given by support reps to Uconnect owners had to have been BS... 'satellites', 'google', 'the hurricane', ;Garmin' ??? really! Various threads around the net are reporting all sorts of excuses from FCA, likely none are the truth.

Whether there was an intentional command to reboot-reactivate nav or an unintentional message of a sort the software was not able to handle and crashed... we'll likely never know. Clearly it wasn't a general satellite failure since other brand Nav's were not exhibiting the same symptoms and other sat services, radio, TV, etc. remained seemingly unaffected.

OP
OP
G

Griebz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I def agree with you.. Hopefully it gets fixed .. That's all I care about

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine didnt go black on sunday, but i was having issues also. mine would tell me i was on different streets than i was, and completely different cities.

rpasetto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
mine didnt go black on sunday, but i was having issues also. mine would tell me i was on different streets than i was, and completely different cities.

A few had problems which were similar. Was the map in the wrong location? the street name at top of the screen wrong?... or both simultaneously? Were you able to calculate a route? Did you ever see the "activating navigation" message?... not at all or only after starting up?