Need advice on model purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal
Hey everyone,

I'm about to purchase my first Ram.

Here's my situation.

I drive on average 75-125 miles a day.

So I want the Eco-diesel engine. I want the truck in all black with no chrome. The sales guy said my best option is to get the outdoorsman. He can get me one for 41k out the door. He told me I could just order the front and rear bumper in black and have their shop switch it out. I was happy. He then called and said they can't do it because it's more complicated than just switching them out.

I was settling with the outdoorsman because I wanted the full luxury package with leather seats, etc. This model didn't have those things.

I Basically want the Limited but he said there's too much chrome for my liking.

I love the way the black ram sport looks, but I guess I can't get it with the eco-diesel!

I also like the headlights better on the limited than the outdoorsman.

Basically my question is,

Anyway to get the more luxury interior with the Ram sport all black look?

Any suggestions on what you guys would do if you had the same preferences as me?

I'm driving the overland grand Cherokee now with the hemi, and it's just not practical for the amount of miles I put on a day.

I really like the ram and would prefer not to go to Chevy/gmc/ford!

Thanks in advance!

Oh I'm also willing to order a 2016 if that helps me get what I want.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
See if you can't order the limited with the diesel and the "Black Appearance Package".

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
The limited is your best option. All you would need to do is swap out the grill, mirror caps and door handles. I'm in the process of doing the exact same with my white limited.

You could also swap the headlights and tail lights to sport version if you like them better than the chrome look of the limited.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Get the Limited and swap out a few things like mentioned above... viola!

OP
OP
G

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal
Thanks! When you say swap out those items, does that mean they're Mopar parts that I can just get at the dealership and have them do the swapping?

I'm surprised the sales guy would tell me to get the outdoorsman , when the limited seems to be easier to black out.

With the outdoorsman, I was going to have to get the seats stitched in leather at a private shop, and get a sunroof installed from somewhere else. Not to mention the front bumper and rear bumper changed...

Hopefully I can find a 15 limited around here! I don't want to wait 2 months for a 16 build.

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Thanks! When you say swap out those items, does that mean they're Mopar parts that I can just get at the dealership and have them do the swapping?

I'm surprised the sales guy would tell me to get the outdoorsman , when the limited seems to be easier to black out.

With the outdoorsman, I was going to have to get the seats stitched in leather at a private shop, and get a sunroof installed from somewhere else. Not to mention the front bumper and rear bumper changed...

Hopefully I can find a 15 limited around here! I don't want to wait 2 months for a 16 build.

The dealer could get the parts and do the swapping for you, but it would probably be a lot cheaper to do yourself.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You indicated the Jeep was 'Impractical'

Since when is modding a 55k Eco D Limited considered 'practical'?

Just like planes or boats,,,,If you can afford one, you ought to be able to afford the fuel! :)

Last edited:

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He said the jeep is not practical due to the hemi...
I did not realize you couldn't get the EcoDiesel in a sport package. That makes no sense!

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not realize you couldn't get the EcoDiesel in a sport package. That makes no sense!

Overland GC comes with 3.6, 5.7 or EcoD. Perhaps he should get a Jeep with a EcoD or a 3.6 if the 5.7 is not 'practical',,,

As far as the Limited, if you can afford to buy a 'top end' item and mod it, the cost of fuel should be a non-issue, unless you think there is some other feature the EcoD has over the 5.7 other than MPG,,,

Something else to remember,,,, The Eco D has 240 hp,,, 155 less than the 5.7. (It's a lug'er, not a racer,,,) Maybe the OP tows, but even then, Quibbling over fuel price with oil under $40 barrel is splitting hairs when you compare it to the $3k+ premium of the EcoD.

Hate to say it, but until oil gets back to 80+ a barrel, 90% of todays buyers will not see a ROI with an Eco D. $2 gas is the last thing the EcoD needs to remain as a viable option.

Also, with 240 HP, there is no 'sport' in a 3.0,,,, Why put a 3.0 in a Sport?

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I see where you are going SlowRoller... he wants to upgrade because the Jeep isn't giving him good enough gas mileage, but the cost of upgrading to a more fuel efficient vehicle will require hundreds of thousands of miles before he gets to his break even point.

His money, his decision. Thankfully I don't have problems like that. I needed a heavier truck than my half ton and stumbled into a good deal on a pretty bare bones used CTD. My requirements were power windows and locks, AC, cruise control, 6 seats and sufficient payload. Anything else was a luxury!

RamRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 5.7 CC 8-Speed
I was in the same position. I do a lot of driving and was looking for a truck with no chrome and the diesel. The outdoorsman just did not do it for me. I ended up with a Rebel and V8 lol. I just love the Hemi too much

OP
OP
G

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal
You indicated the Jeep was 'Impractical'

Since when is modding a 55k Eco D Limited considered 'practical'?

Just like planes or boats,,,,If you can afford one, you ought to be able to afford the fuel! :)

As I mentioned earlier, I'm driving a lot of miles a day with work. I am a court officer, and constantly driving serving people etc.

My current GC is getting me 13.5mpg!
The Eco diesel for the ram is saying 19-28mpg.

Just because I'm willing to buy a luxury truck doesn't mean I'm made of money and would like to **** money away on fuel!

I don't tow as of yet.

Don't understand why you think I shouldn't care about mpg just because I'm looking at a luxury truck.

OP
OP
G

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal

I just don't understand why they don't offer the same body paint slick "look" with an eco diesel! Not sure how engines have anything to do with paint or chrome!

OP
OP
G

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal
I was in the same position. I do a lot of driving and was looking for a truck with no chrome and the diesel. The outdoorsman just did not do it for me. I ended up with a Rebel and V8 lol. I just love the Hemi too much

I hear you on the outdoorsman! Just didn't do it for me for 41k! Pretty basic interior. My vehicle is my office basically, so it's nice to have a little luxury.

I really considered going with the rebel too and just calling it a day! Don't get me wrong I love my hemi!!! What are you averaging in mpg? Around 15 or so?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No more miles than you drive a day combined with what you do with your vehicle,,, Jeesh, a Pentastar would be far more 'practical',,,,,,.

Too bad you'd have to 'settle' on a Laramie to get one! LOL!

(FYI, Under 'Engine' you have Diesal,,, its spelled Diesel...)

OP
OP
G

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal
No more miles than you drive a day combined with what you do with your vehicle,,, Jeesh, a Pentastar would be far more 'practical',,,,,,.

Too bad you'd have to 'settle' on a Laramie to get one! LOL!

(FYI, Under 'Engine' you have Diesal,,, its spelled Diesel...)

Hmmm, I didn't mean to sound like I'm too good for an outdoorsman. It's just coming from an overland to the interior of the outdoorsman is a step down for sure.

I guess I'm ignorant, but I assumed the diesel would be the best for someone driving over 600 miles a week.

(I've been responding via an iPhone. Have to love how it changes the spelling incorrectly. I'm well aware of the spelling. Thanks for addressing it though professor)

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hmmm, I didn't mean to sound like I'm too good for an outdoorsman. It's just coming from an overland to the interior of the outdoorsman is a step down for sure.

I guess I'm ignorant, but I assumed the diesel would be the best for someone driving over 600 miles a week.

(I've been responding via an iPhone. Have to love how it changes the spelling incorrectly. I'm well aware of the spelling. Thanks for addressing it though professor)

The diesel has a long payback and higher maintenance costs but with your mileage it might be worth it. I would drive a V6 and see if it has enough power for you. I wanted an ED but I can't justify the cost for short commute and I love the power of the Hemi. On the highway you can get good mileage with the Hemi but not around town, 15/16mpg yeah. 21hwy is not bad for a big truck. On the Laramie (which I have and love) you have to get the short box to get the diesel or V6 FYI. I have the 6' box and there were no other optional engines.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the math,,,
EcoD 'HFE' (actually higher MPG than the Limited) 21/29 mpg Hwy
Penta 18/25 mpg Highway
600 miles in the Eco-D = 28.6/20.7 gallons
600 miles in the Penta = 33.4/24 gallons
4.8/3.2 Gallon split per week

The Eco D is $4,270.00 more than the Penta.

Gas is 2.09 here at the Local Sams club. I'm sure some folks will whine on that as being 'unfair', so lets round it up to $2.50/Gal. Even if gas and diesel cost the exact same a gallon, (said no one ever) you're looking at $12.00/$8.00 a week savings in fuel over a Penta.

Now all we need to do is figure out how many weeks it would take at $8-$12 a week to get back the extra $4,270.00 you spent on the EcoD over a Penta.

Hmm, looks like you'll need 7 - 10 years 218,400 / 312,000 miles to recoup the extra cost of an Eco D over a Pentastar in fuel savings....

Do you plan on keeping it that long, just to break even?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal
Do the math,,,
EcoD 'HFE' (actually higher MPG than the Limited) 21/29 mpg Hwy
Penta 18/25 mpg Highway
600 miles in the Eco-D = 28.6/20.7 gallons
600 miles in the Penta = 33.4/24 gallons
4.8/3.2 Gallon split per week

The Eco D is $4,270.00 more than the Penta.

Gas is 2.09 here at the Local Sams club. I'm sure some folks will whine on that as being 'unfair', so lets round it up to $2.50/Gal. Even if gas and diesel cost the exact same a gallon, (said no one ever) you're looking at $12.00/$8.00 a week savings in fuel over a Penta.

Now all we need to do is figure out how many weeks it would take at $8-$12 a week to get back the extra $4,270.00 you spent on the EcoD over a Penta.

You're looking at 7 - 10 years to recoup the extra cost of an Eco D over a Pentastar in fuel savings.

Do you plan on keeping it that long, just to break even?

Wow! Great breakdown! Damn it. I guess I have to test drive the pentastar to see if it has enough power for me (which I'm worried won't). When I say power, all I need is that umph to get out of a jam, incase I merge in front of traffic or need to pass someone fast. (I do that with my hemi and love it)

I usually sell around the 47-49k mile mark. But if I get the ED then I wouldn't care as much and possibly sell around the 75-100k mile point.