Need advice on model purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No my jeep has the 6 speed.

Yea that's why I'm grateful for all the feedback. I had such tunnel vision on the ED. I didn't realize the difference in savings from the ED was minimal and only at a longtime of ownership! I typically trade in after 3-4 years.

I know I won't do the v6... And quite honestly the hemi seems almost certain.

Sports black package! Now I hope I can find a 15', not sure I can wait 2 months for a new build!
The one thing I would caution is not getting "tunnel vision" on the hemi either. The hemi CAN get good mileage, but if you are already getting 12.5 in a grand cherokee hemi you are not going to gain much by going to a heavier truck. The best thing to do is do a test drive on the two and drive them for a day like you normally do going to work and such. Compare the ecodiesel to the hemi and see what the mileage difference is.

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If you can get def from a truck stop pump in bulk it will cost under 3$ a gal , if you have to buy jugs from auto parts store it's around 8 $ a gal , also new diesel engines aren't like they used to be , with the new pollution controls they aren't the low maintenance bullet proof motors they used to be , egr, scr , def and regeneration has destroyed the old diesels reputation , I would look carefully at maintenance cost and reviews from other drivers before I would spend the extra money trying to save a handful of miles per gal

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Diesels also like to be run at temperature , they don't like short trips where they don't have time to warm up and don't like to be shut off hot , unlike gas engines they have rpm ranges where they should be run , they hate to be lugged down below these ranges, also if you live somewhere with real winters it will require winterized diesel fuel or additives to your fuel , just more hassle and expense, do your homework before you pull the trigger on a diesel , durability and fuel economy are only part of the story

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
In Tx diesel is a good bit more expensive than 87 octane. If you drive a lot on the highway the 3.21 gears will be fine but if all of those 600 miles per week are driven around town to customers I would definitely look for a truck with 3.92 gears.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In Tx diesel is a good bit more expensive than 87 octane. If you drive a lot on the highway the 3.21 gears will be fine but if all of those 600 miles per week are driven around town to customers I would definitely look for a truck with 3.92 gears.
In Michigan it was more expensive but recently they evened out.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Penta is no slouch, but,, it isn't a Hemi and it won't lug like the EcoD,,,

The Penta does best at high RPM when the 300 ponies are alive and runnin,,,

The 8 speed can get the Penta in the 'alive and runnin' mode when ya stab the skinny pedal to the floor.

I personally have not driven the 3.6/8 in a RAM, but I have in a Challenger. It doesn't take long to get moving,,,

OP
OP
G

Ghost man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesal

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Keep in mind the painted front end will get eaten alive with rock chips putting that kind of miles on every day. You will defiantly need 3M or XPel protection, AKA clear bra.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That price is ridiculous! There has to be a catch! Wow even if I paid for it to be shipped to Detroit, it's worth it! But I feel like it's too good to be true!

It's a quad, they are cheaper and not as desirable. It's very late in the year, good deals abound. It's black, horrible to keep clean. Why is it so muddy, might be a demo? Based on my previous experiences it's better to ship than fly and drive unless you just have tons of time. Typically the shipper will be responsible for any damage that occurs.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
When I bought my quad cab, rebates were less on them then crew cabs, I could have got a crew for the same price but I wanted a quad.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a quad, they are cheaper and not as desirable. .

Hey now!!!

Don't you be dissin a quad or I'll have to bring up the whole 'Suburban with a sandbox' thing all over again!!!

:roflsquared:

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you kept your truck 100,000 miles before trading and kept up at 600miles/wk, that would be 166 weeks ,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Look at that difference in City numbers! Here's some ammo for those v6'ers out there, haha.

Even if you took a 'hit' on resale, you're still ahead 'thousands' in fuel savings.

I had (2) virtually identical trucks to go see the day I purchased. Same color, packages, etc. One had the Penta, one had the 5.7. The online price for the Penta really wasn't much different than the 5.7. The dealer with the 5.7 was closer so we went there first. Everything clicked, and I ended up with a 5.7. (Didn't even make it to the 2nd Dealer with the Penta)

To this day, I still wonder if I would have somehow felt any 'regret' had I ended up with the Penta.

For what I do with my truck, I really have no need for the 5.7. It's nice, I suppose, and I really don't care either way about 5-10 bucks a week more in fuel. But,,,, Now more than ever,,,I do believe my next truck will be a 6.

As always,,, YMMV :)

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey now!!!

Don't you be dissin a quad or I'll have to bring up the whole 'Suburban with a sandbox' thing all over again!!!

:roflsquared:

Don't get out of your rocker with all that attitude, hah. I have the 6'4" box on my Crew thank ya very much. I didn't want that wheelbarrow bed either!