Need help 04 1500 4.7l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have a 04 4.7l 1500 i have been fixing vacuum leaks for days now trying to get ride of a p2097 at first it would reset after abput 50 miles. The other day it cleared for almost 200 miles. I even got the truck to pass a obd inspection. It came back on and stayed off for a day or so. But i ended up a air fuel rich mixture code and it seemed to still have a small vacuum leak somewhere. I have replaced the intake temp sensor because it was not working at all. The truck was idleing pretty good every once in awhile it would raise to about 200 to 300 rpms. Today i found the pcv hose on the back of the intake cracked but the auto parts was closed so i was unable to get the correct hose so i used regular vacuun hose on it. I have been unable to find the erg valve on this truck indont believe it had one unless it is located some where since it is not behind the driver side head. It seems to me that the vacuum leak is coming from this peace here but iam unable to close it off. Does any one know what this piece on the intake is and should it be there. My fuel mileage is really bad like 300 miles to a tank or so. Please any advise on where to look and would be a great help i am flying blind on this one. The truck is running really bad as of right now it has never run this bad. Also there are to vacuum ports on the intakr which one does the hose off th
Booster attach to i may have mixed them uo because one had a plug and the other has vacuum hose from booster.

20191216_032653.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have a 04 1500 4.7l that kepps throwing a p2097. I fixed fix pretty much every vacuum line under the hood at first after clearing the code it would reset after a m3bout 50 miles once a drive cycle was completed. The other day the ligjt cleared for about 2 day and another air fuel mixture code came up. But not the p2097. Truck onlt stalled out once which was tonight. The vehicle ran and idled okay at first. Sometimes it woule increase by 200 or 300 rpms. The fuel millage is horrible.. I am u able to locate the egr valve on the back of driver side head. And there seems to be some kind of plug on the botton side. Please help me thanks

20191216_032653.jpg

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Get you a evap smoker you can make them or buy one off ebay around a hundred dollars.If you have a vacume leak you will see the smoke.I got me one my 4.7 had me puzzled and I checked no leaks.with it .I hope this will help.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One more thing the Egr valve is on the left side next to the firewall and it's a pain.

FaceDeAce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Advice that can give is to do google search. Look for a diagram of the intake manifold for your model and year of engine in the Ram. Take that diagram, study the hoses, then go over to the truck to see whats what where.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Truck doesn't have a egr vavle on it. From my understanding they didnt start putting them on until 05. I did get all the vacuum hoses put back to where they go and all of them fixed. To smoke the EVAP system would you need a scantool to be able to open and close the valves to be able to smoke the system properly. I've done the old WD-40 and Brake clean trick already around all the emission hoses and I don't get anything out of there I sprayed around the intake nothing there

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Well guys I'm still fighting the p2097 code I think I may may have got it figured out though but my idiot self dealing with this code for as long as I have been messing with this code knowing that is bank 1 Post cat reading rich symptom my it itself went and replaced the Upstream O2 sensor for some reason today. So now I get to go and buy another O2 sensor waste more money that I don't have at the time I replace the downstream sensor bank 1 driver side but I'll keep you guys posted on it I'll get it one of these days but I'm about ready just to give up if this doesn't fix it fix it I don't know what I'm going to do I don't know why I did that either I worked in the shop before work in a Ford dealership what Ford's are little different the dodges and I'm flying at this one blind with no diagnostic tools because all my stuff was stolen from me but I am going to give me a good little scanner here pretty soon I'm just going off of what I know and what what I'm reading and what I've been told about dodges it would be a lot easier to fix it what does cancel but I'm on such a tight budget with just coming back to work I can't afford one right now if people I know don't work at Dodge they work at Ford and they don't have any scanners they use all IDs

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Joshua Harris I have to ask you are getting a rich signal on no 1 cylinder you may have a coil pack going bad or a plug .I would pull no 1 cylinder plug and see if it is wet if so it is one or the other .Something might need to know it running rich will cook the o2 sensors and catalytic converter because of un burnt fuel.I know I had it happen on my wifed car the catalytic looked like you took a torch to its inside.I hope this will help you.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Fastf the code i am fight is p2097 post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 1. There was three times when i got it to clear for a day or 2. When the p2097 did clear i did have 2 other codes show up p0a p0131 fall with O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 and also p0172 bulk fuel system too rich so those would clear out by themselves and I would get the p2097 back so I went ahead yesterday and replaced one O2 sensor which was the Upstream O2 sensor because I was under the impression that fuel system reads off of the number one sensor well when I was ordering the O2 sensor yesterday it didn't click to me that it's still post cat not free cat so I didn't get to O2 sensors when I should have bought two of them so I replace the Upstream O2 sensor and not the downstream O2 sensor so when I went ahead today and did this morning was was I swapped the Sensor 2 Bank 1 where sensor bank 2 to see if I could get the code to switch sides to rule out that is either the O2 sensors or it's not the O2 sensors in his something else causing the issue and that's what I'm scared of is a fuel system running too rich for too long and it Knocking out the catalytic converters because I don't have the money to replace those but I also did fool the number one spark plug out today it wasn't wet it was completely dry but it was white on the end I'll post a picture of it below and I'll also post a picture of the bank 1 sensor 1 which is completely black on the end and then bank 1 sensor 2 which is white on the end of it I'll post a picture of all three so you can look at them but since I did that this morning swapping O2 I haven't had the code come back yet but the truck Miss at idle or under load but when the codes are there and it's not running as good you can sit there and watch the the RPM needle at idle fluctuates from about 500 RPMs to 550 RPMs and it just doesn't sound as strong of an idol because of all the fuel that is dumping into the truck and I'm getting less than 300 miles to a tank fuel mileage is ridiculously bad on this truck right now and I know it's going to be bad with the 33 inch tires but man not that bad I have also cleaned the throttle body and clean the intake air temp not the intake air temp sensor or replace that one I've also clean the idle air control valve is well there's another post that I had posted and one guy is telling me that I should smoke the EVAP system on it but I was under the impression that you would have to open and close purge valve solenoids and things in the system to smoke the system properly or am I mistaken on that and back to the spark plugs the plugs that are in there are Autolite spark plugs and I was in a rush this morning when I pulled it so I didn't run the part number on it just make sure it's a copper pot plug because I don't believe it's a copper plug in here so that's going to be my next thing to do as well is pull that number one plug again and run that part number to see if it is a copper plug-in if it's not I'm going to put copper plugs back in here before I do anything else I believe that in another O2 sensor if I get this code back again if it goes to bank to

20191227_110552.jpg

20191227_215120.jpg

20191227_110552.jpg

20191227_215120.jpg

20191228_211623.jpg

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something a dodge mechanic told me years ago .People would put different name brand spark plugs in there trucks and it would run fine for a while then it would start missing.The mechanic said they would pull the plugs out and put plain old Champion copper plugs and the customer never had any more problems.You can use NGk but all of my dodge aka ram truck engine use Champion in it.As far as the evap you dont have to open nothing I know I got one and that is how I checked my truck.Some of these guys in here sharp on stuff and some of these guys will lead you what they read or heard so be careful. I am telling you what I have experienced in the past with the stuff I have worked on.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont ask me what the Champion plugs have to go with dodge engines but it works you can look it up in this forum
I do remember the old VW air cooled engine if you put a champion plug in it would strip out but not a Bosh.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Okay cause i know when would do it at the ford dealer we would open and close certian soleniods on the evap system. But just smoking the intake for leaks we wouldnt. Inam pretty positive that i have gotten all vacuum leaks taken care unless they are underneath the truck going to the charcoal canster. I have been doing alot of research on this motor and it does use champion copper plugs so that is what iam going to out back in it. I have just been pretty just fixing one thing at time instead of replaceing a bunch of stuff at once because i really want to what has cause this problem i sure the vacuum leaks and map sensor wiring being broke and the iat just laying on the intake manifold have all lead up to this issue also just trying to get ride of any trace of the previous own because they said they kept up with the maintenance on it which i can see now mantiance to them was jist changing the oil and will see how good they were on that when i pull valve cover on it to do the gaskets. After putting the 02 sensor that i took from b1s1 postion in b2s1 and moving b2s2 over to b1s yesterday mornimg the light has yet to come back on so i am really hoping that this fixs it. I have read a hole bunch of people having issues with 02 sensors. But either way next thing on my to do list is upper control arm and ball joint and lower ball joint and both sides along with spark plugs and coil boots. If u know of anything i can do to help improve the fuel millage any advise would be greatly appreciated. Its just been one thing after another on this truck but i do like the truck it looks good and motor feels stong. Guess i should really do a fuel pressure test amd compression test on it and i will really know for sure.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I have been think of getting that jb weld heat stuff from orielly and just kinda patching that manifold leak for the time being until i get enough saved up to by everthing i need. I know the manifold gasket amd bolts for the passanger are from the dealer are almost 300 total i have it wrote down in my note book. And the one shop i have found wants 500 parts amd labor to replace both sides. That also includes removing three broken studs

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok Joshua you brought up several things do you work at a Ford dealership they have a scan tool.You also said you had a manifold leak that maybe your problem.JB weld just might work.You do have a vacume hose down under at the evap to the tank.Like I have said I hope I can help you.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
No i use to work at a ford dealer that was about 3 years ago and i no longer live in that town and the only scan tool we had was . There is manifold leak on both side of the motor but passanger side is the worste of them both i knew it could be cause my rich code from the start but dont have the funds available yet to get them fixed so i have been fixing the other issues with it and smaller things first. U have been helpful i take everthimg everone says in to consideration and can use all the help amd advise i can get. I really do believe tho i have gotten the issues and issues fixed for the code p2097. It has not been on in i would say 200 hundred miles or close to it.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
We used the ids when i was ford the only other scanner we had was obd1 amd it would not look at live data.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to help you and wish you the best.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Thank you fast i got her fix and she is a running good. The finally fix to my issue was the down stream 02 sensor. I would say tho that the issues that i did contributed to o2 sensor going bad. With all the vacuum leaks and iat sensor laying on the intake. The cai not being installed correctly and the map sensor wiring and the throttle body being completely dirty, i would have to say it was all a factory in p2097. The finally fix was putting an 02 sensor tho i just fixed the issuse before the 02 due to i knew the other issue were there becuse i could see and hear all them so i wanted them fix to see what would happen. But they were part of the issue and could have caused a rich code p2097. Thank u for all the help. If u ever have any problems with ur vehicles and need some help just feel free to ask i will do everthing i can to helo you solve a problem.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem you have a blessed new year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88