Need help deciding on flowmaster muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In Borla I'd probably look at some of the round Xr1's instead. Very similar to the muffler that comes on the ever popular Stinger Cat-Back for the 03/04 Cobras that does a pretty good job with rasp when running catless. They sound good, but definitely a different sound than the flows.

https://www.borla.com/products/xr1.html

Does the Borla XR1 have any fiberglass packing in it?

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i read in another thread the Matt from moes says the flowmaster are a restrictive muffler , so its one not to use with long tubes as your losing power. you want a straight through design such a magnaflow, he mentioned another but i forgot

The flowmaster is a little restrictive because it’s chambered, but not enough to notice unless your running 20+ pounds of boost. Won’t notice any difference on a bolt on set up.
I’ll take a good, raspless exhaust and a little restriction of over a better flowing muffler that sounds like glasspacks any day.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does the Borla XR1 have any fiberglass packing in it?

They have some "special" packing that's supposed to hold up better, but like with anything packed it will likely eventually degrade. The sportsman has the special packing where the race ones have steel wool. Everyone I know that has one hasn't had them blow out or degrade yet so take that as you will. They don't sound like your traditional glass pack, nor like the usual flows, pretty much every Terminator I've seen with them sounds like this :

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Real outlaws are race bullets like what I have on my SRT, the case is maybe 1.5" bigger than the pipe and they use "delta" rings inside to help with flow. I have cats and an X so it helps with rasp, but they're LOUD, snap crackle pop on hard decel/downshifts, but not terrible on rasp due to having cats. I ran the car open headers (with the cats) just to get a comparison and honestly all they do is clean up the sound a bit without doing much for noise. They fit the car well with all the chassis stiffening and poly/delrin bushings everywhere so the harshness just fits, but I wouldn't want them on my Ram being my daily. I also would definitely not run them by themselves without cats lol. Internal Image below. If I ever ditched the cats I'd probably swap to the laminar flow series or run them in addition to the outlaws.

The 10 series is a single chamber, 40 series dual chamber, 50 series is a 3 chamber chamber, and so on these days. I do like my super 10 on the ram, but I've still got cats and the resonators. If I ever get the bug to toss LT's on it I will do some high flows and probably toss a race bullet in before the super 10 to keep it from being too obnoxious for when I need to go into the city.

View attachment 192950
Thanks for explaining the new names. I’ll probably go with the two chamber since I’m not running cats and have long tubes.

Last edited:

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Currently running JBA long tube headers, off road Y pipe, 14” magnaflow, and no resonators with 6” tips. Raspy and crackles on down rev. I prefer the nice clean sound of flowmaster, but don’t know which one to get.
With my current magnaflow muffler, truck is annoyingly loud since I put the headers on. If I install super 10s, will my truck be just as loud as it is now?

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
mine were flowmast 40 I beleave but got to load cops looking at this old guy I laught 68 but had a reducer add cuz noise wow like my old corvette loved it lol

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I started pulling a camper so I did not want as loud of a system. I switched from the Flowmaster 50HD to the duel in duel out 70 series. Not as quiet as I thought it would be but it doesn't have hardly any rasp even when getting on it. Really low rumble which actually sounds louder inside the house when I start it in the morning. For me it's the best sounding muffler I have ever owned. This is on a 2500 6.4.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Save your money and buy an exhaust cutout. You can go gentleman to hillybilly in 3 seconds.

TRX-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m was running JBA long tubes ( no cats ) with a magnaflow cat back and it was extremely loud and the drone killed me during daily driving.
I installed a 24” resonator mid-pipe , and took the Magnaflow muffler off. replaced it with a Walker SS ( basically a stock muffler )

At idle or normal driving , it’s extremely quiet. But when you kick it in the guts , it opens up and sounds amazing. Nice deep tone with no drone or rasp.

worked for me.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently running JBA long tube headers, off road Y pipe, 14” magnaflow, and no resonators with 6” tips. Raspy and crackles on down rev. I prefer the nice clean sound of flowmaster, but don’t know which one to get.
With my current magnaflow muffler, truck is annoyingly loud since I put the headers on. If I install super 10s, will my truck be just as loud as it is now?
Tried 44's and like them, resonators taken off also.

Bill Knight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the super 10 outlaw, amd wish I had headers. My truck came with Magnaflow muffler and it sounded horrible. Went to Flowmaster on it and the Hemi sounds happy to be alive. The 10 series is a loud growl that you will have no problems getting used too..... as for neighbors, well they can buy ear plugs lol....

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
American Thunder 50 Series muffler only.
Kept the resonators & tailpipes, had it welded in at the local muffler shop.
Nice rumble without excessive cab drone.
They hear me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Save your money and buy an exhaust cutout. You can go gentleman to hillybilly in 3 seconds.

It’s a lifted truck, not a race car. Haha.
Had single chamber flowmasters and true dual catless 3” tubing from 1 7/8” long tubes back on my 383 stroked camaro. Constantly got pulled over and accused of not having mufflers. Lol

13RamOutdoorsman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am stock with just a flow master 40. No resonator and dumped in front of the rear axle. I love the sound, but anything that can rattle in the interior now does.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have long tubes and no cats on mine. I had a magnaflow catback and the drone around town was terrible. Added a 24” resonator and it didn’t help. So I put my stock muffler back on. Actually sounds good with long tubes and no cats. Zero drone and a pretty decent tone for a stock muffler. I just couldn’t take the magnaflow drone anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank