Need help on leveling/lifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,
I've been searching forums exhaustively for over a week now and decided to finally post.

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi Crew Cab 2wd. I'm wanting to level the front end based on a rough measurement it looks like I will need 2 - 2.5 inches. I know very little about this process, but I certainly want to maintain my comfortable ride and not cause any damage to my suspension, etc. Like everyone, I'd love to do it as cheap as possible and feel confident I can do the work, but more important than cheap is that it is done right. I've been reading about spindles, spacers, Bilstein shocks, cranking torsion bars, etc. and I've been on some of the sellers' websites that I've read on the various forums.

I know I can't crank torsion bars as I don't have them and the adjustable bilstein's don't fit the 2wd. I looked at fat bob's and they have a spacer but it says that I also have to purchase a new control arm. So people say I'll have to get shock extenders, new shocks, or nothing at all. I also saw some springs that simply lift. I'm having a real hard time narrowing down exactly what I need to do to get the desired effect without sacrificing ride and/or reliability.

What advice can you all offer? And what sites for products can you point me to?

Thanks,
Ray

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also am in the same process and have a 2wd. Ive settled with the spacers but I'm going with the 2.5" front spacer and a 1.5" rear spacer for a little extra height on both ends. And yes definitely get he UCAs as they may or may not bunk out on you in the future but better safe then sorry right. Most everyone goes with the Mevotechs UCAs as they are only $40 each on rockauto.com. But there are better($$) options out there like Zone UCAs. Make sure your level spacer kit comes with the shock extenders. I know there is a guy on here who installed the lift coils but I believe it changed the stock ride. I think the brand is Maxtrac. There is a full right up on how to install the spacer kit doesn't look tough at all but I'm tryin to get the dealership to install mine as compensation for sending them 2 referrals that purchased vehicles. make sure you get a steel spacer kit. there are many places you can get them from I got mine off ebay. and don't worry about bump stop extensions. you don't need them

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks...

Thanks for the info and the quick reply.

So I need 2.5 in spacers to get level. Any brand recommendation?

I need the the shock extenders...Do you know a place I can get the spacers and extenders together?

And I need the UCA, which you have already told me where to get it. do I just order the ones for my truck, or do I have to get something different since the I'll be changing the height?

Anything else, I need to know??

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you don't need the 2.5" that's just my preference. I believe a 1.5" or 2" will suffice if you don't want to put spacers in the rear. I bought mine off ebay from a suspension shop in California. most steel spacers are generic anyways. just search level kit 2013 ram 1500 and you'll get plenty of options. just make sure it is steel and comes with the shock extensions. and if it doesn't then they have some one ebay for like $20. other than that you should be good. I'm still waiting for my UCAs to get delivered and will probably get everything installed in a week or two.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used the Daystar 1.5" spacer, leveled my 2015 CC 2WD perfectly, then added 285/65/20, which are 34.5" tall on a 20x9 with 0 offset.

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great

Thanks for all the help.

With the UCA, did you just buy the one that fits your truck?

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the Daystar 1.5" spacer, leveled my 2015 CC 2WD perfectly, then added 285/65/20, which are 34.5" tall on a 20x9 with 0 offset.

And you didn't replace the upper control arm or use the shock extenders?

I did a rough measure and it looked like mine might need about 2.5 to get level, but I'm putting a camper shell on in the next week or two so I want to wait for that and then remeasure.

I've found the 2 in steel spacers on ebay along with some extenders...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
And you didn't replace the upper control arm or use the shock extenders?

I did a rough measure and it looked like mine might need about 2.5 to get level, but I'm putting a camper shell on in the next week or two so I want to wait for that and then remeasure.

I've found the 2 in steel spacers on ebay along with some extenders...

Nope, UCA is 4WD issues, and no shock extenders, nothing, still on stock shocks, rides great!

OP
OP
R

rcmorton3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess at 1.5 you don't need the extenders, right? But at 2.5 you would. I bet the camper which weighs closer to 200 lbs will push that back end down. So, 1.5 - 2 would be good.

And no upper control arms? I thought that was a must...

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013+ models seem to have the UCA issue. some ppl have issues and some ppl don't. since everything is going to be taken apart why not make a $90 upgrade

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
pics for ya.

Attachments

• 20160402_132036.jpg
    20160402_132036.jpg