Need some suggestions for intake/tune.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DontDodgeItRAMit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm looking to add a cold air intake really soon and possibly get a tune. I recently just put on a true dual exhaust leaving the resonators on so my neighbors wouldn't kill me, will take them off eventually in the future, and mds is really annoying me with the exhaust.

I was looking at the K&N intakes - opinions on those will be great.

Also trying to figure out a good tune. I don't want the pedal commander as I want some more power. I know there are some people who love them and some who hate but for $350 i rather spend the extra money on a real tune. I don't know much about tuning so information on that would be great.

Vehicle- 2018 Ram Sport Night 4x4
Tires - 295/65 All Terrains on OEM wheels.
Leveling Kit.
Everything else is stock.

Any opinions/help will be great, thanks.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Intake has been hashed over ten billion times on here. Here's the summary:

The factory intake IS a cold air intake and a good one, too.
The only aftermarket intake that makes any power at all is Vararam, because it fundamentally eliminates the entire intake path.
All other intakes are jewelry.

Anyway enjoy your jewelry when you buy it anyway :Big Laugh:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the k&n 631561, had it for 60000 miles, I put the stock airbox back on in the summer and lost 1.5 mpg
If I was doing it again I'd try the jlt

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Also have a K&N 63-1561 and love it. First thing that I do when I buy a new vehicle is replace the air filter with a K&N, and do the first oil change at 1000 miles, and switch to a full synthetic oil. This method has served me well for many years, and many miles, and my vehicles run great!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Tuning for your truck will require an unlocked PCM & a programmer. You can get them as a package from places such as DiabloSport and their dealers. Make sure you get a programmer that accepts custom tunes
You have an option to send in your PCM, have it unlocked and returned to you. Alternately you can buy an unlocked one, swap it in and keep your original if you think you'll need it for warranty repairs.

Lastly you'll want a custom tune. Normally this is done by email with one of several tuners such as Diablotoona, Jay Greene or Hemifever. I had my 2014 6.4L 2500 tuned by Hemifever and I was very happy with the results.

As far as intakes I used an S&B unit that I really liked. There was an improvement in throttle response noted when I installed it but you can get a better incremental throttle response with a Pedal Commander.