New 6.4, 4000 miles/a quart low on oil???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I just did an oil change at 5000 miles and my oil was a quart low before the change. I have noticed a little (small) puff of blue smoke on start up and have been wondering... I changed the oil at 1000 miles and put in 7 quarts.

The dealer tech guy says the 6.4's take a long time to break in and 1 quart low in 4000 miles is probably in spec, but my other 6.4 never burned anything noticeable, so I'm wondering if this is an issue that's gonna get better or worse or stay the same from now on. There's 5000 miles on the truck.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be concerned once you break 15k miles. That’s when they seam to settle in for the “Blue Smoke” “Burning oil” and better mileage.

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 17 has 15,000 miles on the odometer and I changed the oil at 12,000 miles. 6.5 quarts came out, not including what was in the filter. I filled up to max full with just under 7 quarts. So, for a 7,000 mile OCI, I'm happy. I never notice blue smoke as my truck is started in the garage. I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w40 FWIW.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My truck smoked a few times like that on start up but has not done that for quite some time now, at least the past 2500 miles. I have about 4600 on it now

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine used a 1/4-1/2 quart in the first 5-7,000 miles. Did the same as yours... a puff of blue smoke on start up now & then, but now has settled in nicely. I have to agree with the tech the 6.4 takes a long time to break in. Might have to do with the factory fill is synthetic. I wouldn't get too concerned until you get passed the 10,000 mark & still having issues. Mine doesn't burn a drop of oil now & seem to even get better mileage after 16-17,000 miles. Not sure if that is when it fully was broken in or what, but I started getting about 1-2mpg better.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Like you I was concerned when I had to add a quart after the first 3000 miles. The truck has never used another drop in 43000 miles.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I wouldn’t worry about it. Mine also burned some oil at the beginning and then it just snapped a finger and stopped completely somewhere before 3500 miles. But it can vary. Nothing written in stone saying each engine will break in the same exact way.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Mine did this too. I'm unsure when it stopped doing it though. Mine was burning a tiny bit of oil, barely recognizable on the dipstick. 13k now, and no more oil loss.

I would be concerned once you break 15k miles. That’s when they seam to settle in for the “Blue Smoke” “Burning oil” and better mileage.
This too, I noticed the same thing. The truck seems to be getting better and better mileage, and also seems to be gaining more and more power as it breaks in. Very pleased with it.

OP
OP
H

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks everybody. It was just a little different behavior than my last one and I wasn't sure if it was really a problem. I'll just keep an eye on it and see where I'm at when i get to 15,000. This truck has really seen light duty so far so that might be part of it. Mostly HW and 65mph, few hills. The last truck was in traffic a lot.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
This truck has really seen light duty so far so that might be part of it.
Just to add to that, my truck really saw mostly highway miles for the first 1000. It didn't see a trailer til after the first oil change (about 4500 miles). Come to think of it, I didn't notice the small puff of smoke disappear til I started towing with it. But I do not think any of that is correlated. What I do think is correlated is the electronics and mileage. Seems that right after the 10-15k mark on almost all vehicles across manufacturers, they tweak/auto tune?

But I have no basis of fact for any of that. Sure sounds good though! :drunk:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
In my experience the harder you drive these the better they run and break in. Mine gets driven in a mix of back roads, heavy stop and go and some highway. I babied it the first few hundred miles and saw some oil consumption and blue smoke once. After that I stopped babying it. Also took the first long trip. And have loaded it up a couple times. Since doing those things it has stopped consuming oil and runs better. Sometimes I’ll take it out in the open country behind my house to get gas and just drive it like it’s a muscle car. By the time I get home its running super smooth and shifting like butter. She’s thirsty though lol.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
In my experience the harder you drive these the better they run and break in. Mine gets driven in a mix of back roads, heavy stop and go and some highway. I babied it the first few hundred miles and saw some oil consumption and blue smoke once. After that I stopped babying it. Also took the first long trip. And have loaded it up a couple times. Since doing those things it has stopped consuming oil and runs better. Sometimes I’ll take it out in the open country behind my house to get gas and just drive it like it’s a muscle car. By the time I get home its running super smooth and shifting like butter. She’s thirsty though lol.

LOL! I love it! i drive mine like a grandpa, but every once in awhile , when I have to pass a garbage truck or whatever and have to get into the throttle some, I'm all smiles. It's actually hard to believe how good these trucks run.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
LOL! I love it! i drive mine like a grandpa, but every once in awhile , when I have to pass a garbage truck or whatever and have to get into the throttle some, I'm all smiles. It's actually hard to believe how good these trucks run.
Agreed. I specially love the stepping of the transmission from 2nd to 3rd. Keeps your back locked in the seat pretty nicely!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Yep they can certainly move, surprisingly fast for such a monster. I always say the 5.7 1500 was quicker but the 6.4 HD clearly has more violent earth moving power.

The SRT 6.4 feels modern. The HD 6.4 kind of feels more like it has the soul and manners of a 440 big block. Rumor is Chrysler is working on a new 426 Hemi, now that would be epic for truck duty. They should do like the current 6.4's.. a 7.0 specifically for HD and an SRT 7.0.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the 6.4 hemi out performs every heavy duty gasser in my opinion. this thing just HAULS like no other gas truck, whether light, medium, or heavy duty. this engine is balls to the wall for this truck.

i drove moderate for 1000 miles and then i let it rip... this thing goes full throttle multiple times a day. and up to 80+ MPH on 35 toyos. oil change every 5k from here on out, and at 5k miles today, its feels like its getting stronger and faster everyday.

again, i do not miss my 2016 Hellcat charger on drag radials...

ps...well, i guess i am craving an aftermarket exhaust setup.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
the 6.4 hemi out performs every heavy duty gasser in my opinion. this thing just HAULS like no other gas truck, whether light, medium, or heavy duty. this engine is balls to the wall for this truck.

i drove moderate for 1000 miles and then i let it rip... this thing goes full throttle multiple times a day. and up to 80+ MPH on 35 toyos. oil change every 5k from here on out, and at 5k miles today, its feels like its getting stronger and faster everyday.

again, i do not miss my 2016 Hellcat charger on drag radials...

ps...well, i guess i am craving an aftermarket exhaust setup.

Dang buddy! You don't miss your hellcat? Wow, that' saying something! Cool!

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you can certainly make the 6.4 believe its in a sedan.

any erratic and a**hole 6.4 ram drivers out there will tell you, you can really open this thing up at highway speeds.

im certain that a tune must be legendary in these trucks, even major throttle mapping and transmission tuning is probably enough.

i miss the hellcat, just as much as i miss my rubicon, '10 335iCobb, '13 S6, '14 x5 50iBMS, '10 GLK 4Matic.
you can take any car and have the time of your life.
ive been looking for something i cant break....powerwagon will hopefully fit the bill.

that being said, i can only afford one vehicle right now, and it must be something heavy duty, that can take me anywhere.
when i can afford it, and i mean even when i cant, im looking for a black used challenger hellcat.
Hellcats are the bees knees, go find one with drag radials, and let me know how much fun you had.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
Had the opportunity to drive a new Charger last year with the supercharged hellcat. It was AWD though, and I wasn't allowed to 4-wheel drift it...

But in a straight line, I'm pretty sure my lips split in the middle with the width of my smile.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You can have more fun than you should and break a lot of laws with any Hemi powered vehicle. Truck, car, 5.7, Hellcat, whatever. Lol.

Surprises me how much steam the HD still has at higher speeds on the highway. I will be cruising at 68 and floor it to pass a big rig or whatever and real fast you’re doing about 85 and the truck is still pulling like it hasn’t even broke a sweat. If you drive it hard it feels like a muscle car’s soul stuck in a big truck’s body. And all with 35’s on 17s. Pretty funny actually. Its still a big torquey Hemi even though its got a boat on its back. Gotta be a Mopar cartoon emblem in there somewhere…

I’ve owned and driven a number of GM V8s, mostly Chevy LS based, a couple Northstars.. And also truck and car variants of both the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis. N/A to N/A NONE of the GM’s pull like the Hemis do.

I have never driven or been in the new current blown LT/LS but I have driven a Hellcat Charger and been in a few Hellcats as a passenger and they are hilarious. If you are unsuspecting you’ll end up with whiplash the next day. That’s not a joke. The Hellcat will snap your head back in the seat and show you who’s actually in control of that car lol.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I’ve owned and driven a number of GM V8s, mostly Chevy LS based, a couple Northstars.. And also truck and car variants of both the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis. N/A to N/A NONE of the GM’s pull like the Hemis do.

I have never driven or been in the new current blown LT/LS but I have driven a Hellcat Charger and been in a few Hellcats as a passenger and they are hilarious. If you are unsuspecting you’ll end up with whiplash the next day. That’s not a joke. The Hellcat will snap your head back in the seat and show you who’s actually in control of that car lol.
Try a Denali in Yukon or Sierra dress with the 6.2... you'll be very surprised. I have a Ram 6.4 and love it... it's a great truck motor. I also have a Yukon Denali with the 6.2. There is no comparison. At. All. That Denali flat-out hauls ass for an SUV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990