NEW (Not typical) SPARK PLUG QUESTION???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12lowram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hello again all...

Just hit the dreaded 30k mi marker and getting trans flushed today at dealer. I more than likely will be doing the plugs myself (dealer charges almost $160) and I understand that the R&I is supposed to be a pain. However, I have been reading that one of the plugs on the 5.7 might be some kind of "Premium Plug", in which case doesn't have to be changed until almost 100k miles and the only plugs that need replacing are the ones under the coil packs??? I may have read wrong though and I lost the article I read, but this may have been just for the 4.7 and not the 5.7??? If anyone here knows something the rest of us don't about this, please share the info! Looking to change out my plugs within the next week and I'm sure myself and others wouldn't mind saving some coin! Thanks all..

-J

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manual recommends plug change at 30k. Doesn't say which ones, so you gotta assume all 16.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The 5.7L plugs are all the same, it's the 4.7L that uses 2 different plugs. There is no premium unless you switch to an iridium plug.

Ceace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, change all 16. You can look forward to about 4 hours for the procedure with it being your first time. Just because it is a tedious job.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
12lowram

12lowram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Thanks guys... I'm fine with spending some time with 'er... money is always the issue, but I'm not afraid of a challenge, especially if I can find an easier loop-hole. I'll take some pics of before and after's when it's all said and done. But thanks again all..,.

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am part way through a plug change in my 03. I think I actually created a few new cuss words. But I have the hardest ones out of the way. It is a tedious job.... But not all THAT bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomzExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
huh, my OM says 100k for plugs. I guess they upgraded the plugs, lucky me!!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
They must have upgraded from the old Champion coppers in the '14 then, it's been 30K with the coppers since the hemi was released in '03.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's not that bad, just take your time and try this:
remove the intake, cover the TB, use an air supply to blow out the dust after removing the coil pack and BEFORE you take out the plugs.

Use Anti seize on the threads and do the front ones first,
then the rears then
save the second ones back as the last ones- they are the easiest and it's a reward to yourself after doing the pain in the ass ones .
and wear some thin gloves, your knuckles will thank you

Last edited: