New to me....2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4...first impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Deck, if it were mine, I'd have ditched the mini truck world bill board on the bumper before I left the dealership. I'd put Bilsteins up front to bring it to almost level.

When I see a Ram 1500 with no Hemi badge on the side. It make me wonder if it has a Pentastar, or worse yet, a 4.7 in it. I'd leave the side badges.

I really like the grill. I'm not a chrome fan at all. But a little chrome on that truck looks fine. Your call there.
That thing just doesn't need much. It looks great as is.

Nice ride!
That’s why I take mine off. Yeah never know what’s in it lololol

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Signed on to the Mopar website with my VIN and found out I have the 6-speed auto instead of the 8 speed. Tow rating is higher than stated in the specs at 10,000 lbs. It also listed the four safety recalls and all four were completed.

Also found the copy of the original dealer sticker and the rear axle was listed on the sale sheet at the place where I bought it at 3.21....but I have the 3.92 instead. Ironically that's the one I wanted to begin with. So his sheet was all wrong when it came to trans and rear axle. Engine was correct thought...Hemi 5.7.

This right here is why you never take a dealers word for anything, I'm just glad in this case it worked out for the better for you (at least for having the 3.92's, I'd still want the 8 speed personally). Either way nice looking truck!

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!! Yeah the deeper first gear would have been cool for pulling and using 4LO, but I can live without it. Happy as can be to have the 3.92s though!!!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!! Yeah the deeper first gear would have been cool for pulling and using 4LO, but I can live without it. Happy as can be to have the 3.92s though!!!

Absolutely! 3.92's were always a must for me, glad you ended up with them!

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
whoa did you test drive thinking it was a 8spd

that could be a deal breaker for me - i upgraded to a 14 ram vs all the other trucks at the time because it had dual exhaust cutouts and the 8spd.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just for the record, I said ALMOST level. I tried to upload a pic of my truck with 250 pounds just in front of the tailgate. < It's level that way. Unladen, the back fender well is about 1.75" higher than the front.

But obviously if you like it as is, by all means. I was just setting the record straight.

I'll try to upload the pic again, sometime.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whoa did you test drive thinking it was a 8spd

that could be a deal breaker for me - i upgraded to a 14 ram vs all the other trucks at the time because it had dual exhaust cutouts and the 8spd.

It was listed as an 8 speed on the dealer's paperwork and a 3.21 rear axle. I did not know it wasn't one until I found the sticker link on the Mopar site. Having never driven either one before and being used to 4 speed autos, I had no way of knowing which one it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was listed as an 8 speed on the dealer's paperwork and a 3.21 rear axle. I did not know it wasn't one until I found the sticker link on the Mopar site. Having never driven either one before and being used to 4 speed autos, I had no way of knowing which one it was.

I think you'll definitely be fine with the lesser transmission, but that's a big deal to me. Probably nothing you can do but I'd ask for some money back and let them know that otherwise I'd be leaving an honest review of what happened everywhere I could online. I've been screwed around by dealers before, not quite this way but have definitely had to leave some nasty (but completely honest) reviews in order to get some money back. Also for future reference, can tell pretty easily if it has the 8 speed or not because you only get the "shift knob" with the 8 speed, it's not available with the conventional floor or column shifter.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I am pretty sure another person was able to get the dealer to give $$$ back or take the entire vehicle back - same situation as you bought thinking it was a 8spd but was a 6spd.

Think of it this way, you bought a v8 HEMI and got the v6 pentastar. That 8spd will save you uber butlloads of $$$ when your on the freeway. How mad can you be, well its entirely up to you but false advertising doesnt win repeat customers.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 8HP70 was in it's first year in 2013. It is rated for exactly the amount of torque the motor in my truck puts out [407 ft.lbs.]. The 65 was rated for 500 ft.lbs. I never buy anything that was introduced in the same year I am buying, especially since I tow regularly.

The 65 has a .75 and .67 overdrive set....the 8HP70 has a .84 and .67 overdrive set....not a ton of difference when it comes to OD cruising. It also has about the same torque rating.

If something serious crops up tomorrow and I decide to return the truck for another one, it won't be because some ****** copied the wrong info on the window sticker.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The 8HP70 was in it's first year in 2013. It is rated for exactly the amount of torque the motor in my truck puts out [407 ft.lbs.]. The 65 was rated for 500 ft.lbs. I never buy anything that was introduced in the same year I am buying, especially since I tow regularly.

The 65 has a .75 and .67 overdrive set....the 8HP70 has a .84 and .67 overdrive set....not a ton of difference when it comes to OD cruising. It also has about the same torque rating.

If something serious crops up tomorrow and I decide to return the truck for another one, it won't be because some ****** copied the wrong info on the window sticker.
I’ve had both 6spd and 8spd. The 8spd is worlds above the 6. I’d find a way to return truck if I was told it was an 8spd. It’s that serious lol

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you'll definitely be fine with the lesser transmission, but that's a big deal to me. Probably nothing you can do but I'd ask for some money back and let them know that otherwise I'd be leaving an honest review of what happened everywhere I could online. I've been screwed around by dealers before, not quite this way but have definitely had to leave some nasty (but completely honest) reviews in order to get some money back. Also for future reference, can tell pretty easily if it has the 8 speed or not because you only get the "shift knob" with the 8 speed, it's not available with the conventional floor or column shifter.

Oh...almost forgot....my neighbor drives a tow truck and he said the rotary shifter wasn't a good choice [and I never liked the idea either...old school here]...I asked him why and he said 'I tow them a lot...they go out'. That got me laughing [this was before I bought the truck] but I remembered it.

This trans shifts very smoothly, the truck feels brand new....doesn't hunt for gears or downshift too far going up hills.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh...almost forgot....my neighbor drives a tow truck and he said the rotary shifter wasn't a good choice [and I never liked the idea either...old school here]...I asked him why and he said 'I tow them a lot...they go out'. That got me laughing [this was before I bought the truck] but I remembered it.

This trans shifts very smoothly, the truck feels brand new....doesn't hunt for gears or downshift too far going up hills.

That's odd, I've heard of a few issues here and there but nothing too crazy. I'm on my second ram with the 8 speed/dial shift without any problems thus far. Although I had a 5 speed in my 11 ram and that was ok too. Probably helps I don't keep them very long. I will also agree that I still don't really like the dial, it is nice to have the space savings but I'd still prefer to have an actual floor shifter.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as I have been driving trucks I can tell you none are void of issues of some sort. I am sure the 8 speed is just fine, I wasn't going to pass on this truck because of it if it did have one. The way this truck is optioned out is rare in this area. Been following the listings for the last year and this is the second one I have seen. Only one with a floor shifter. I knew I wanted either the column or floor shifter because the console is important.

Adding to the decision to buy the truck was the custom work the dealer did...the grill and light bar set, Express body colored lower bumper in front, new black 20x9 wheels and new tires, new shocks all the way around and of course, the way it drives.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice truck. It seems to fit your needs very well. If you tow a lot two things I might suggest--T-1000 air bags and a Hellwig sway bar. I think both will help when your towing.
Jay

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice truck. It seems to fit your needs very well. If you tow a lot two things I might suggest--T-1000 air bags and a Hellwig sway bar. I think both will help when your towing.
Jay

I'll check into the bags for sure. Is the Hellwig bigger than my stock sway bar?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca