New to me....2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4...first impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it is more substantial and it is adjustable. You might check their web site for all the ins and outs. One of our preferred vendors, Moe's Performance sells them and Matt, can give you some great information about them as well as any other parts you might want information about. I have one on my truck and although I don't do a lot of towing it sure makes the truck handle a lot better.
Jay

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll do that thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Traded in my 2005 GMC Sierra Z-71 4x4 SLT today for the Laramie. Have been admiring Rams for a year or so and with the Sierra oil pressure alarm going off daily [and right after the trans and case had to be rebuilt it gets more frequent] I was late in getting it done, but today it happened.

Bought a 2013 black Laramie with 72k on the clock from a local dealership. They put new tires on it, a new grill [looks like an RBP], fog and light bar in the grill and black wheels. Not exactly murdered but close enough.

So on the first drive it i as smooth as silk. It has the 5.7 of course and the 8 speed trans with a 3.21 rear axle. Not exactly ideal for towing, but what I do tow is generally around 5500-6000 lbs, so it will do. Very impressed with the fit and finish of the interior, especially since the truck is creeping up on 7 years old now.

The U-connect is the 8.4" and the truck has the Alpine speaker system in it. Sunroof and sliding rear window are both a huge plus [never had either one in a truck]. Love the gauges....really glad they are so easy to read.

I have a lot to learn but am extremely happy about the change. Ran into the Hemi tick issue this afternoon, but have already addressed it and so far, it seems to be gone. Will be switching to Redline or the hand mixed synthetic oil soon as well as the fuel additive. I drive about 35k a year so it needs to be running at it's best.

Never seen so much storage in a truck...loving that. This may just turn out to be the first truck that I do not have to do much to. While I was planning to change out the chrome rear bumper, mirrors and door handles for the all black ones, I may have to rethink it. Starting to grow on me as it is.

Tonite is read the manuals night!

View attachment 168925 View attachment 168926
Beautiful truck. Welcome to the club!

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well...sad day hopefully turning into a better one today. The truck has been discovered to have a fatal flaw in the motor. I figured it out just in time last week to return it to trade for another one. They said they wanted to explore fixing it, but after several days of discovery, the noise I heard in the motor turned out to be pre-fatal and would require the dealership to replace the motor. I suspect it is cam related from what I was told.

So today I go to pick out another one....the target is a 2016 Sport Crew Cab 4x4 with almost all the options the other one had with one difference....it has an 8hp70 trans versus the 65RFE six speed. Also has the trailer brake control, 3.92 rear axle, tow package, leather, 8.4 UC, air ride adj and very little chrome to replace.

Hopefully it will still be there and I will get back on the road today.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Well...sad day hopefully turning into a better one today. The truck has been discovered to have a fatal flaw in the motor. I figured it out just in time last week to return it to trade for another one. They said they wanted to explore fixing it, but after several days of discovery, the noise I heard in the motor turned out to be pre-fatal and would require the dealership to replace the motor. I suspect it is cam related from what I was told.

So today I go to pick out another one....the target is a 2016 Sport Crew Cab 4x4 with almost all the options the other one had with one difference....it has an 8hp70 trans versus the 65RFE six speed. Also has the trailer brake control, 3.92 rear axle, tow package, leather, 8.4 UC, air ride adj and very little chrome to replace.

Hopefully it will still be there and I will get back on the road today.
Bummer about your truck, Glad the dealers is making it right :) Good luck with your new RAM and Pictures are a must or it never happened lol

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sir I fully realize the drill, pictures will happen.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yes sir I fully realize the drill, pictures will happen.

Good luck with the next RAM. I purchased mine used and other then a broken stud on the Y Pipe and the recalls were all minor and covered by the dealer ! Purchased my 2015 in 2016 and my first RAM and LOVE it better them my Old F150 which I loved :) As mentioned before any Truck brand can have issues !

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love the new one...drove quite a bit today and it feels like a brand new truck, better than the 2013 for sure. It better, it was $3100 more. Here's a couple of pics....Ram2b.jpg Ram2a.jpg Ram2j.jpg

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Yeah that thought has crossed my mind....I have a set of automotive paint guns, a good compressor, and I’ve painted a few vintage campers in the past.

My other thought was to see if I could locate black bumper assembly with the cameras in it and just swap them out. It would definitely look better with the black bumper.

Just slap on some gloss black bumper covers you can get from Real Truck and the rear chrome will be gone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That truck is gone....back to the dealer with a fatal engine flaw. New one is a 2016 with body colored bumpers. Now I have to find black wheels, step bars and the regular Ram hood.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The new truck looks better than the old one by far, that grille was hideous if you ask me not a big fan of aftermarket anything but hey its your money so good luck!
I also hated that grill in his first truck :)

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's True Blue Pearlcoat. This one was not at the dealership when I bought mine or I would have driven it first. Hated the chrome rear bumper, mirrors, door handles and light housings of the other truck but was going to change all that. The grille was no big deal but I loved the extras lights. I'm also a HUGE fan of black, but the blue is very cool as well.

This grille is better looking for sure, not going to change it. Still don't know what active grille shutters are but they are listed on the equipment pages I printed from the Mopar Vin page.

This truck fells MUCH better, except for the extra shifting of the 8 speed. I will get used to it even though I don't care much for the dial shifter. Loved the floor shifter in the other one.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's True Blue Pearlcoat. This one was not at the dealership when I bought mine or I would have driven it first. Hated the chrome rear bumper, mirrors, door handles and light housings of the other truck but was going to change all that. The grille was no big deal but I loved the extras lights. I'm also a HUGE fan of black, but the blue is very cool as well.

This grille is better looking for sure, not going to change it. Still don't know what active grille shutters are but they are listed on the equipment pages I printed from the Mopar Vin page.

This truck fells MUCH better, except for the extra shifting of the 8 speed. I will get used to it even though I don't care much for the dial shifter. Loved the floor shifter in the other one.
Same color as mine. Looks black in the shade and brilliant blue in the sun! [emoji5]

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yessir....saw some deep purple in mine yesterday.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

I am also not a big fan of the dial but you get used to it. I added a Challenge coin to mine so I get a different feel for it !
The Active Grill shutter stays closed to help warm the engine faster, Opens as the temp increase's . If you look through the front of your grill you will see it.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...eab7499182ddb879e6710348903aaf1a&action=click

DSC00259.JPG