New to the crowd... looks like I may be here a lot :

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the forum and to the Ram family... this week we purchase a 2004 Ram 1500 standard cab / 2WD w/ 5.7 Hemi to be my son's 1st truck. The truck only had 84K miles and for the age it appeared to be in very good shape cosmetically and ran great on the test drive.

AB8FD250-2CDF-4078-8F54-A530B3C782C1.jpg

Of course about 2 miles from home after picking it up the check-engine light comes on. P0404 and P0157 - EGR and O2 sensor related. Cleared them and the EGR code came back the next day after driving a little bit. If it is truly the EGR valve, which sounds to be a common issue on these, then no biggie - I'll get an OE part and replace that - expect to need to do some things on a truck of this age.

1st order of biz was to pull the driver side headlight and replace a blown turn-signal light. Put my son to work turning wrenches :)

90684A3D-0913-48FA-B332-3447CDD2A3FC.jpg

Noticed the air was not blowing as strong as it seemed like it should - a little internet digging and found the recirc diverter plate is a common problem - sure enough - dropped the fan and there lies the plate - pulled it out through the fan opening and its blowing strong - will get a replacement and pull the glove box and replace that soon enough.

More concerning is my son drove it down the road to the in-laws this morning and it just shut down on him - he said it did not stutter, no lights flashed (other than the check engine light already on) - just shut down and would not immediately start back. After a couple of minutes it did fire right back up, and then it ran perfect when I drove it over to the Dodge dealer to get them to do a good check over. Checked the codes again before taking it to the dealer and the only code showing is the EGR code. Not comforting for a vehicle my new driver son will have, so hoping maybe someone out here can provide some guidance.

Part of our reason for getting this truck over some others is the reported reliability of the 5.7, but it was also one that we were able to get in with a small enough amount that could plan on some replacement parts/fixes - and that my son could learn how to figure out an issue and then fix it - something too many kids (and adults) out there today have no clue....

So, I expect we may be on here as we work though this journey - but if anyone has any thoughts on where to look for why the truck would just cut off like that - or any other recommendations on the EGR or O2 codes if they might be something other than the obvious valve / sensors, I'm all ears

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

If it's throwing the EGR code it's a dead certain EGR valve replacement.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
:welcome:

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dead shutoff with no notice/no codes sounds electrical. Checking the connections to the PCM (disconnect battery first) and checking all the ground connections (body, frame, etc) is what I would start with.

-K

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Welcome, you will enjoy this forum. On the O2 sensor, check your year. 1 or 2 upstream down stream ??? If yours has 2 suggest you replace both. One of the hardest working parts on our trucks. The grounds as stated are critical. You can down load from the internet or search "ram ground schematic" on this forum.

OP
OP
M

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks all - had the local dealer look it over and looks like I’m adding the upper and lower ball joints to the list - and brakes (which I planned on doing anyway). They also confirmed the EGR valve - otherwise appears in good shape - assuming I don’t have transient electrical gremlins, but we will check the connections, grounds

Getting together a parts list - any solid vendors here with good deals on OE parts or very reliable after market? Not a fan of a lot of the corner store parts

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome aboard! I'm betting you and your son will have some great times getting this truck into shape. A learning and bonding experience. I'm a bit jealous. :)

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
:wave:

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Welcome. Hope things turn around with her. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Getting together a parts list - any solid vendors here with good deals on OE parts or very reliable after market? Not a fan of a lot of the corner store parts

https://www.allmoparparts.com

They have a forum here, their rep, Benny, will get part numbers for you if needed and they have a free shipping code for forum members.

-K

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the family! Nothing like some good old-fashioned wrench turning for father/son bonding.