New truck every 5 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so I'd like some input. ever since I moved to California, I've always bought a new truck atleast every 5 years, no later.

I've been burned bad with the catalytic converter in one of my past trucks that was less than 5 years old. I spent thousands to sort it out only to sell it at a loss. Now, I sell before I need to smog. I've finally come to terms, my bad experience was likely just a 'one off'. so for those who need to smog/emissions test, how long or how many miles do you get out of a newer vehicle before cats become an issue? I'd like to keep my truck as long as it will run but with cats (and electronics) I feel the lesser of two evils is to sell early and get as much resale value as possible rather than get stuck with a money pit.

I'm only at 30,000 miles after over 2 years of ownership. my truck is my tow vehicle not my daily. if I stay on my schedule, I'm looking at about 60,000 or so when I sell. seems like a waste.

any input appreciated.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
That's my plan
Sell/trade it when the 60k/5year powertrain warranty is up

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
so I'd like some input. ever since I moved to California, I've always bought a new truck atleast every 5 years, no later.

I've been burned bad with the catalytic converter in one of my past trucks that was less than 5 years old. I spent thousands to sort it out only to sell it at a loss. Now, I sell before I need to smog. I've finally come to terms, my bad experience was likely just a 'one off'. so for those who need to smog/emissions test, how long or how many miles do you get out of a newer vehicle before cats become an issue? I'd like to keep my truck as long as it will run but with cats (and electronics) I feel the lesser of two evils is to sell early and get as much resale value as possible rather than get stuck with a money pit.

I'm only at 30,000 miles after over 2 years of ownership. my truck is my tow vehicle not my daily. if I stay on my schedule, I'm looking at about 60,000 or so when I sell. seems like a waste.

any input appreciated.

I had my last Ram for almost 15 years. Had 160k on it, I live in California too. Never had a problem smogging. Always passed with flying colors.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Been buying vehicles here since the pre-cat days. Keep em as long as I want and never had a emmissions issue. I’ll typically keep a vehicle till around 150k.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I run mine for more than 5 years generally. Some trucks get more miles on them than others in the time I own them.

For some reason they keep getting crashed into by people who aren't paying attention to what they are doing. :(

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are there laws that extend the coverage on catalytic converters. FCA canada has warranty on emissions components up to 130,000 km so roughly 80,000 miles. Also consider one of the longer warranties so you're covered for the amount of time you'd prefer to keep your vehicle for as cost per year keeping it for only 5 years is pretty high. Given your low km you might even be a good lease candidate if you're not heavy with the mods.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I try to keep my stuff 10 yrs or so, then buy new again.

that way i don't have to worry about replacing hoses and such. just what I do.

I did buy a 2005 Ford escape awd for a spare in December so I'm pushing the 10 yr envelope.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
from the responses, I'll assume my early cat failure was a one off issue and probably a little overly paranoid. been dodging the smog issue for so many years, I'm kinda clueless now. Maybe I'll try getting 10 years out of this hemi...

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've been in Virginia since 1998 and never failed an emissions test. Never had an emissions issue of any kind.

I plan to keep this one at least 10 years.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Buying something new every 5 yrs sure does get expensive don’t it.

sure does. to each their own though. there are different schools of thought on it. some say trade early to maximise trade in value and so you stay within warranty.

others like me like to keep stuff 10 yrs, take care of it, maintain it well and hopefully get a good trade value then, plus hopefully have at least 5 yrs of no payments to save and put a big down payment on the new purchase.

things can change though so I try to be flexible. I'd have to seriously consider a major repair out at the 7+ yr mark. if I could make the repair and get my money back out of it at trade time, ok. if not, or if it's questionable, I'd probably trade it as is, take the hit in value and go new.

on a cheaper vehicle like my escape where I do all my own work, if it needs an engine or trans and the body is still rust free, I'd swap in a good used one and keep running it.

just my thoughts....

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's why I bought the FCA Lifetime when I got my CPO last year. I plan on keeping my truck until I can no longer drive, being a realist at 69 years old. I may have another 15, 20 years on the outside. Why burden myself with the cost of a replacement vehicle when for a few grand I get piece of mind on everything. (I know there are a few exceptions!) I kept my last two trucks for 11 and 15 years respectively so the prospect of a 15-20 year vehicle is not beyond my comprehension.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You might look into the MaxCare Lifetime warranty on your next Ram. I'm in with my truck for the long haul and it's nice to not have to worry about expenses. What I paid for the warranty is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of changing vehicles a couple times.

Mean Gene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I am not a fan of a lifetime of vehicle payments. Had each of my last two trucks for 13 years. This one should last every bit as long.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Car payments are stupid. If you can’t pay cash, you can’t afford it. Find something used you can afford.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wait.... so how much is a Cat? Couldn’t you just replace a Cat? Surely it’s cheaper than a truck. I am confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's not the cost of the cats that is the concern. it's the thousands you have to pay someone to install them. Once your car gets flagged by the CA dmv as a fail, you have to get it repaired and a certified installer has to do it then notify the DMV as well as re-smog.

Since I've been smog dodging for so long, the CA laws may have changed. if so, for sure let me know!

typically every 5 years for a new car has not been a big deal as I've usually gone over 100,000 miles by then. More recently, situations have changed and I'm not likely to break 60,000 miles by 5 years. That's why I was hoping to keep this current truck longer.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That’s nuts! I thought “drive clean” was bad enough in Ontario but sounds like Cali takes it to a whole new level. The law here is weird too. You can have a stock pre 1988 car spitting tons of crap out the exhaust pipe but a new car can’t even have a check engine light or they fail it. Even if it has nothing to do with emissions. Could be faulty gas cap.

It’s a cash grab by our over spending liberal government! We also need stickers for our plates and they have almost doubled in price since they’ve been in power. The heavy duty trucks are even worse as they classify them as “commercial” and the stickers cost even more !

In your case If you have low Mileage on your truck after the 5 year mark than you’re golden! I would Just consider anything over is bonus. I’m planning on driving my truck into the ground and hoping I didn’t get a Friday or Monday truck

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Car payments are stupid. If you can’t pay cash, you can’t afford it. Find something used you can afford.

I’m pretty sure you’re one of the few that buys a $30-50,000 truck cash. I could be wrong. But I’m pretty sure I’m not