Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Shoot you could save it up untill you get 7 quarts then rebottle it and sell it as cheapass oil, I read some people just buy the cheapest oil they can.

lol

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shoot you could save it up untill you get 7 quarts then rebottle it and sell it as cheapass oil, I read some people just buy the cheapest oil they can.

lol
LOL , that is so funny !

I love it !

I'm certin only a few from the Synthetic oil thread truly understand

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dumped the OCC on the wife's 16 Challenger today , this is the results of about( 2500 miles i think ? ) with combined city & interstate use on a couple recent road trips .
About 8 oz I'd say as the can is 9 oz .

I also changed the oil & rotated tires .b6d8a59f2077fd887eb5d73da0dba268.jpgb55639a4df9442b9f4145ce03269ea58.jpgb8d50bade093e8552b133353e12e60d3.jpgbd60f42e9daa3b870a22ea01f8a775c3.jpgcf37dcc0bb2ba4f13264a9494d84c613.jpg

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That seems like quite a bit for 2500 miles? Just imagine that much oil going in your intake!

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That seems like quite a bit for 2500 miles? Just imagine that much oil going in your intake!
Yes Sir , the last dump was just a couple months ago and if I remember correctly I only dumped a couple oz ?

This dump had mostly interstate & hi way use on a trip th Ga . & Charlotte NC.
Seems to vent more at highway & interstate speeds ....my trucks 5.7 L does the same thing .

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just ordered a black catch can for my 2017 Ram Rebel due to this thread (From Moe's...)

I had one on my 2014 Durango R/T Hemi and was always curious why the stuff would foam up a bit in the winter...well now I know.

This thread has been great...thanks all...have mine on order and will get it installed as soon as it arrives.

Current mileage: 541 Miles

Thanks all....for reminding me how important these things are to a Hemi!

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a question for all you guys running catch cans. Didn't know wether to ask it here or on syn oil thread, then I noticed it mostly the same guys either way so here goes. Please understand I'm not critisizeing you're choice either way weather or not you run a catch can. I'm asking this because I have this "what if" running thru my brain and don't have an answer. I understand the theory of the catch can, you don't want all that crap reintroduced back into the engine. Fair enough, I can see that. Now, back in the day we had lead in our gas, pretty much unlimited zinc and other good stuff on our oil, then thanks to uncle Sam we not only have unleaded gasoline but have ethanol in it, sometimes up to 85 percent. Our oils have been robbed of the good stuff with synthetics trying to make up the difference. Manufactures had to come up with harder valve seats because the old ones wouldn't handle unleaded gasoline. Has anyone ever thought that just maybe the engineeres designed the pcv system to reintroduce the crackcase vapor through the intake system to possibly cushion the valve seats, possibly a little cooling to the intake valves, and possibly a little lube for the intake valve guides. I know I wander in wierd directions at times, but was just wandering if this theory was plausible at all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a question for all you guys running catch cans. Didn't know wether to ask it here or on syn oil thread, then I noticed it mostly the same guys either way so here goes. Please understand I'm not critisizeing you're choice either way weather or not you run a catch can. I'm asking this because I have this "what if" running thru my brain and don't have an answer. I understand the theory of the catch can, you don't want all that crap reintroduced back into the engine. Fair enough, I can see that. Now, back in the day we had lead in our gas, pretty much unlimited zinc and other good stuff on our oil, then thanks to uncle Sam we not only have unleaded gasoline but have ethanol in it, sometimes up to 85 percent. Our oils have been robbed of the good stuff with synthetics trying to make up the difference. Manufactures had to come up with harder valve seats because the old ones wouldn't handle unleaded gasoline. Has anyone ever thought that just maybe the engineeres designed the pcv system to reintroduce the crackcase vapor through the intake system to possibly cushion the valve seats, possibly a little cooling to the intake valves, and possibly a little lube for the intake valve guides. I know I wander in wierd directions at times, but was just wandering if this theory was plausible at all.

This is a very valid concern. I wondered the very same thing when I was researching Catch cans. Something to keep in mind is the CC doesn't catch 100% of the oil in the PVC system, just majority. So there is some oil getting to the upper cylinders. I decided it was worth not gunking up the intake manifold over the possibility of losing some upper cylinder lubrication.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I like the majority of the people on here. You ask a serious question, no matter how obscure, you get a serious answer, not just you're full of crap, shut up.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Imo that oil would just stick to the back side of the valves because of the heat and then build up. carbon build up.
I dont see anyway that it will benefit the motor.

just my opinion.. :)

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree with both Hemi and 69GWC, I would rather keep my intake manifold clean vs the little bit of lube I would get in the upper cylinder. Longevity is what I was thinking, and maintaining power over the long haul.

But you make a very valid point Ramnewbie, hard to argue against that logic, maybe that just boils down to the preference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Imo that oil would just stick to the back side of the valves because of the heat and then build up. carbon build up.
I dont see anyway that it will benefit the motor.

just my opinion.. :)
Yeah, I can see that

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with both Hemi and 69GWC, I would rather keep my intake manifold clean vs the little bit of lube I would get in the upper cylinder. Longevity is what I was thinking, and maintaining power over the long haul.

But you make a very valid point Ramnewbie, hard to argue against that logic, maybe that just boils down to the preference?

I guess first off you have to be old enough to remember leaded gas.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess first off you have to be old enough to remember leaded gas.

Oh I do, I recently got rid of a car that I had to put an additive in the gas for it to run

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ Ramnewbie , I too have had this question .
As several has done I too opted for the catch can to reduce the carbon build up and eventual power loss .
I do add a upper cylinder lube with every other or so tank and as Hemi395 mentioned previously the occ doesn't catch 100% but some of the gunk and nasty crap I wipe out of the bottom of my occ I'm glad that crap didn't make it to my intake plenum .

Good question Sir !

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ Ramnewbie , I too have had this question .
As several has done I too opted for the catch can to reduce the carbon build up and eventual power loss .
I do add a upper cylinder lube with every other or so tank and as Hemi395 mentioned previously the occ doesn't catch 100% but some of the gunk and nasty crap I wipe out of the bottom of my occ I'm glad that crap didn't make it to my intake plenum .

Good question Sir !

Damn, great minds think alike, alot of great minds here.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone interested . I know OCC seems to be a hypersensitive subject at times so if your not interested then simply don't view this thread and please don't clutter this thread with you OCC Bashing ; however, if you are interested Enjoy and feel free to ask Qs and or post up your own photos !

My story : 2014 Ram 4x4 QC 6 speed 3.55 differentials. Installed my Elite Engineering OCC Corvette Aftermarket Parts, Camaro, GTO Performance Parts, Accessories Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!
At aprox 20,500 miles .

First dump was with approximately 2k approx 8.5 oz.

3babbc7973ce5172532757a07c4f54a5.jpg

Next was also about 4k approx 7.5oz

00e3720c3947c62245210418c582a440.jpg

The next photo I had dumped it and went on a 1500 mile round trip 95% interstate @70-75mph . I'd say about 3oz

036f814f76b587b57c63e501563d3ad3.jpg

I notice each time it smells of fuel , just a bit ? It won't catch fire , I tried to ignite it [emoji38] anyway this is my experience and I'm happy with the results and not having all that oil / condensation in my intake plenum .

A good read about the ends and outs about oil catch cans if your interested
www.oilcatchcan.com

Any loss of oil in Ur engine? Does Ur dipstick read any lower?

BEAST19
'15 Ram 1500 5.7L
Blacked out brilliant black bighorn
Fully functional hood
Custom quad switchback halo
Fuel vapors wrapped in 33"x12.5nittos
MBPR Exhaust
ARH Longtube headers
Pedal Commander
Vararam intake
Diablo i2
Painted bushwhacker flares