Oil change per sticker or dashboard oil life indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I went thru section called "Maintenance Schedule" in my manual they say "Severe Duty" usage is when vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment or is operated predominantly at idle or only very low engine RPM's. And you should replace oil every 4,000 miles. They also explain that the truck sensors knows what is the outside temperature and if you are towing something or driving like crazy and their complicated algorithm system calculates exactly when the oil should be changed. So I'm confident if I follow the OLM I should be good to go. Of course if you like to do it often I won't blame you. I totally understand. But me myself is this kind of person who doesn't like to give someone my hard earned money.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I go by the computer which is usually 10,000 miles. Last oil change I went 16,000, not recommended but I simply did not have the time.

Holy crap. I would not be able to sleep at night. I change at 5k on dino oil and 8500 on synthetic. Last change my dash meter had about 7% life left at 8500 miles. I do the same on our 4Runner. Synthetic in everything.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crap. I would not be able to sleep at night. I change at 5k on dino oil and 8500 on synthetic. Last change my dash meter had about 7% life left at 8500 miles. I do the same on our 4Runner. Synthetic in everything.

I wish the 2011's displayed the percentage left....all we get is that it is due for an oil change.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I do use synthetic but its the cheapest you can find. Supertech 5w-30 on sale for 15.99 for 5 quarts.

jhendrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 1500 ecodiesel that the manufacture says has a 10000 mile oil change interval. I took it to a dealer here in New Mexico and they changed the oil. After about 5000 miles, they kept sending me emails and cards saying the oil change was due. I ignored the cards and brought it back to them when it was due at 10000 again. This time, they reprogrammed my vehicles oil life indicator to show only 5000 miles. I believe this is dishonest from a greedy dealer. How do I reprogram the interval back to 10000 miles? I have the lifetime engine/powertrain warranty. I only need to follow the manufactures recommended maintenance.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 1500 ecodiesel that the manufacture says has a 10000 mile oil change interval. I took it to a dealer here in New Mexico and they changed the oil. After about 5000 miles, they kept sending me emails and cards saying the oil change was due. I ignored the cards and brought it back to them when it was due at 10000 again. This time, they reprogrammed my vehicles oil life indicator to show only 5000 miles. I believe this is dishonest from a greedy dealer. How do I reprogram the interval back to 10000 miles? I have the lifetime engine/powertrain warranty. I only need to follow the manufactures recommended maintenance.

Show them your owner's manual next time.

http://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/ecodiesel-maintenance-schedule.html

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3K on Dino oil, 5K on good brand name synthetic and you can go to 0% on the OLM on Redline and a RP oil filter and beyond if your out of warranty and don’t forget the oil sample if you decide to go with an extended drain interval.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Mobil 1 full synthetic and a K&N Gold filter and changed every 15,000mi on my Mustang... I'll probably do the same on the Ram provided the oil doesn't get too dirty looking or low.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 3,000 is old school. You do not need to do an oil change every 3,000 miles on today's engines with today's oil. If you want to though...go for it, its your truck and your money.

I go by the dash, which is about 10,000...but I don't usually wait that long. I go between 7,000 and 8,000...but that's me. I usually let it get to 30% before getting an oil change. I average 2 changes or so each year. I've gone as long as 7,500 to 8,000 on Hemi's...owned 2 of them so far.

Hell...we don't even change our oil every 3,000 on our squad cars on our department. We go 5,000 or so...and that's very heavy duty use. I'm with a county and hit 100+mph every single shift, many times 115mph+ for extended periods. We've had zero issues with longevity or engine issues going once every 5,000 for heavy duty use.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Mobil 1 full synthetic and a K&N Gold filter and changed every 15,000mi on my Mustang... I'll probably do the same on the Ram provided the oil doesn't get too dirty looking or low.
If you're planning on running extended oci's due yourself a favour and do a UOA at 5k and see what it tells you. Let you're uoa's set you're OCI's if you're set on extended drains, don't just pull a number out if the hat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I do use synthetic but its the cheapest you can find. Supertech 5w-30 on sale for 15.99 for 5 quarts.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php

http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/...-what-consumer-reports-concluded-a-decade-ago

Blackstone Laboratories has performed oil analysis on hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Recently they decided to take all this data and figure out the one question every auto enthusiast wants to know, "Which motor oil is the best?"

The answer is... they're all interchangeable so long as they meet the oil weight and certifications for your vehicle. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, even the discounted brands such as Walmart's Supertech and Peak will not wear your engine out any quicker than any other brand that meets the basic standards for your vehicle.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php

http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/...-what-consumer-reports-concluded-a-decade-ago

Blackstone Laboratories has performed oil analysis on hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Recently they decided to take all this data and figure out the one question every auto enthusiast wants to know, "Which motor oil is the best?"

The answer is... they're all interchangeable so long as they meet the oil weight and certifications for your vehicle. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, even the discounted brands such as Walmart's Supertech and Peak will not wear your engine out any quicker than any other brand that meets the basic standards for your vehicle.

So are you saying all oil is equal for the most part ?

RedLine or Amsoil is no better than SuperTech oil and such..

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I've read a lot of reports myself. Coming from a history of owning several performance oriented vehicles I'll stick with Mobil 1... it has never let me down.

If you're planning on running extended oci's due yourself a favour and do a UOA at 5k and see what it tells you. Let you're uoa's set you're OCI's if you're set on extended drains, don't just pull a number out if the hat.

15k is what Mobil 1 advertises, right on the jug.

From my experiences the filter is going to degrade before the oil brakes down. Which is why it's important to run a good filter. The old 3k/5k standards were from back when dino oil was the best thing available, engines were built to much loser tolerances and filtration systems weren't as good. We've come a long way technologically since then and many manufacturers are even recommending 10,000mi+ service intervals. The Freightliners we drive at work recommend changing every 15,000mi.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do around 8k, but that's km so 5k miles. I'm frequently loaded up, occasionally towing and often in dusty conditions so I'm more worried about the filter life than the oil life. I never feel bad stretching it out an extra k though. My old truck has 250,000+ on it now and runs as well as my new one with 3,000 on it. Also I usually run conventional in the summer and switch to synthetic in the winter for it's superiority on cold starts.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
So are you saying all oil is equal for the most part ?

RedLine or Amsoil is no better than SuperTech oil and such..

That is what the expert is saying.

I use 0w-40 in my truck.

Amazon price for Pennzoil Untra Platinum $9.00/qt

Advance Auto price for Rotella 0W 40 Is 5.40 or 7.50 - it can be had for less in larger bottles.

Rotella looks like a good oil; especially in the articles.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w...peList&actionSrc=Form&searchTerm=rotella+0w40

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I think 5k oci is a good medium, long enough to get your money's worth, not long enough to deplete the additives and not to early wasting good oil. For me it's fun to get under the truck and change my oil, I get to use my favorite oil and filter combo. I get the opportunity to sample my oil for testing. I take the time to look at the under carriage and give everything a good visual. Something me and my dad did for years. I simply love it.
If your planning on extended oci I would choose an oil with a robust additive package and choose a full synthetic oil filter.
My dad still does 3k oci with 10w30 valvoline conventional oil and he has a handful of vehicles well over 300k miles. I keep telling him he needs to switch to synthetic oil for those cold Michigan winters, he just laughs and asks me how many vehicles I've gotten to 300k?
With all that being said, conventional oil 3k oci and full synthetic oil 5k oci is good time and money well spent.

OP
OP
K

KrisIL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to take a sample of my oil at 10% and send it to be tested and then decide if I should do it more often or not.