Oil Filter struggle and remote filter kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I can remove just the lines and swap them? I may need to remove the filter just to make it easier to swap the lines. Should this be a problem or will you recommend draining the oil out completely

You'll be okay with just swapping the 2 hoses on the remote filter mount,no need to remove filter,unless it will make the job easier.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clamp them with vice grips or you will have a mess. And swap them at the relocation point, as it’s easy to access.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is putting a tack weld overkill for the filter mount. I tapped the frame and used lock tite on the threads. Last thing I want is it coming looks from the frame due to vibration.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is putting a tack weld overkill for the filter mount. I tapped the frame and used lock tite on the threads. Last thing I want is it coming looks from the frame due to vibration.

It'd be almost impossible to get a tack weld to stick to the pot metal the remote mount is made of. I drilled and tapped mine same as you,and it's been hanging off my frame for 2 years now,and is still tight,lol. Give it a wiggle on each oil change,if it starts to give you trouble,i'd worry about it then,but till then I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just for ***** and giggles,the bumper is bolted on,do you worry about it falling off,just giving you a hard time Chief,lol

Bowhunter66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Preferably you want the remote filter below the original filter to prevent oil drainback,and the frame is a great place to mount the remote mount

I was under the impression the filter had a drain back valve

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It'd be almost impossible to get a tack weld to stick to the pot metal the remote mount is made of. I drilled and tapped mine same as you,and it's been hanging off my frame for 2 years now,and is still tight,lol. Give it a wiggle on each oil change,if it starts to give you trouble,i'd worry about it then,but till then I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just for ***** and giggles,the bumper is bolted on,do you worry about it falling off,just giving you a hard time Chief,lol
Lol...... jokes on you cause I tack welded the bumper too

J/k thanks brotha

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Should have updated a while back but I got everything buttoned up and working properly thanks to everyone on this forum. This was my first oil change in my truck it’s a 2017 with 6K on it. I ended up using royal purple 5W-30 along with a fram tuff guard filter (TG16). I used Russell fittings and Russell stainless braided line for my project. Yes this is pricey but well worth the investment. I’m also using a fumoto 106N oil valve. My next oil change will be a mess free breeze. I went with fram simply because I was at wal mart and didn’t want to go anywhere else. I may change it up next time.

Bowhunter66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Should have updated a while back but I got everything buttoned up and working properly thanks to everyone on this forum. This was my first oil change in my truck it’s a 2017 with 6K on it. I ended up using royal purple 5W-30 along with a fram tuff guard filter (TG16). I used Russell fittings and Russell stainless braided line for my project. Yes this is pricey but well worth the investment. I’m also using a fumoto 106N oil valve. My next oil change will be a mess free breeze. I went with fram simply because I was at wal mart and didn’t want to go anywhere else. I may change it up next time.

Yeah Im undecided on the Fumoto or the https://www.valvomax.com/ The valvo is way behind in making them he's an USAF guy with a good idea. I like the design better. Scotty Kilmer on YT recommends them.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah Im undecided on the Fumoto or the https://www.valvomax.com/ The valvo is way behind in making them he's an USAF guy with a good idea. I like the design better. Scotty Kilmer on YT recommends them.
Not a bad idea....... definitely something to look into if my fumoto ever gives me problems.

tator2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the Trans-Dapt kit and Fumoto. Now I see why everyone wants to go with the AN fittings. Getting the brass nipples and hoses in there without a kink was a pain in the butt. Mounted the filter just behind the tow hook mount on the frame. I also got the Fumoto with the elbow and cap, instead of straight through. This should help it pour more straight down.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Measure twice, measure two more times, and recheck and measure twice more then cut the provided oil lines.

Or just go AN.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't performed an oil change yet, but scoped out the location of the filter. Looks like a filter wrench coming from the front under some hoses with a zip lock to catch the oil would work. Is it really that difficult to change after you get the OEM filter loosened?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haven't performed an oil change yet, but scoped out the location of the filter. Looks like a filter wrench coming from the front under some hoses with a zip lock to catch the oil would work. Is it really that difficult to change after you get the OEM filter loosened?
I think the remote filter is cool , but I've never had an issue with the filter location on my 14Ram 5.7L.
I just use a 1qt plastic container( paint Dept at Lowe's) to catch the oil and I've never spilled a drop.

I drive up on ramps and approach from the front , lay a couple rags down break the filter loose by hand then put the container in place , loosen the filter a bit so it drains in the cup then spin it off and let it fall in the cup and finish draining .

Hope this helps !1df192115200652386289cce34934540.jpg1e69806bb6475b8eb3aa6c2a98d13a6f.jpg6d4dc49b8f4ddfaf72ef0a2aef6a0be0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that was my plan......just using a bag instead of the plastic container.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried the bag but couldnt get the bag back out without dumping some (most) of the oil.

Next time I will try the paint container instead.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried the bag but couldnt get the bag back out without dumping some (most) of the oil.

Next time I will try the paint container instead.
Works like a champ ...you won't spill a drop !

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
On these relo kits, can you not mount the filter horizontally? Seems like that would make more sense, and less mess when taking the filter off. I'm not a fan of vertical filters, unless it's a cartridge style removed from the top.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On these relo kits, can you not mount the filter horizontally? Seems like that would make more sense, and less mess when taking the filter off. I'm not a fan of vertical filters, unless it's a cartridge style removed from the top.
Horizontal filters make more mess because the oil comes out of the filter as well .
When I was a kid I worked at an oil & tire change shop and I hated the horizontal filters .