Oil weight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I won't be running into any low temperatures before my next oil change, that's for sure. Burla, you say 10w-30 will run thinner at operating temps, I thought it was heavier. What am I missing?

The number before the W is the winter rating nothing more, redline uses thicker base oil package for 5w30. Many of us wonder why. cSt is easy to look up on any oil, that is the flow rate at 212f operating temp, 5w30 cSt is 11.9, 10w30 is 11.4. Interestingly as the oil gets hotter, the 5w30 still runs thicker as shown by hths. It levels out on NOACK, which means 5w30 is a very special formula to have that performance despite having vii's.

I would prefer to use 10w30, but my engine knocked/ticked on it but is silent on 5w30, we all believe that is hths viscosity that reveals the why to that one. Why I like 10w30 better, no vii's which means no meaningless junk rolling around engine as the burn off. However, the 5w30 is such a special formula it is built to last, the uoa's show no shear, which is amazing. No shear means vii's still in tact, simply amazing beyond comprehension to be honest, facts are facts 5w30 is hemi honey. Run either with confidence.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One thing I wonder about RL oil is detergent content in it. Is it comparable to PUP or less? Can someone (Burla) elaborate.

Both extremely high detergency. PUP has stated their PUP is higher in detergency and that is the main if only difference between that and PP, we posted that email a long time ago in syn thread. Plus their base oil has the ability to absorb contamination, maybe not much more then hydro cracked but many people think it should have it's own grouping like 3.5 because of the performance. The gas is put into solid and then hydrocracked. I mean the uoa's are amazing on PUP, just so many people have lower wear on PUP then most group 3 oils, it's a winner.

Redline also is just as high in detergency but goes a little further as it is ester based. Esters are like little scrubbers that have no grit. Many products out there are engine flushes and are nothing more than esters. If you run auto rx you see ash on the dipstick as it cleans, and all that product is ester based, no solvents, and it cleans that good.

As far as detergency both have substantial cleaning ability over most of the competition. Can't go wrong with either, but I do wish 5w30 PUP had 200ppm moly plus. So if I have to choose that would be the main difference and reason to run redline over PUP. Call the detergency factor a wash, both are great, but other aspects of the formula put Redline on top as it will protect metal that gets less lubrication more then PUP.

I think redline is the perfect oil for hemi's, and I would say the same thing about PUP if they were 200ppm, I would call that perfection. I think maybe some other Pennzoils do have that moly, we know 0w40 does but I believe their HM oils does and maybe some of their others ones do as well. I can't remember everything, but I believe moly level is more important than detergency level for the hemi. Both things are important, but all oils have detergency, not all have super high moly, and no doubt our application benefits from this and fca knows it.

There are applications where PUP would outperform redline, such as di turbo's. There are many applications where they would be a tie as the extra stuff in redline would have not much value, probably most cars out there. But with our specific challenges owning hemi's, redline has more then just cleaning abilty.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would personally grab a 5qt jug of Castrol Edge or QSUD 5w30 and add 2qts of Redline 5w30 to it to bump up the moly and calcium a bit....if you don’t want to spend the money on a full Amsoil/Redline change.

This last time I did Castrol Edge 0w40 and Redline 10w40 for my 6.4, and it seems to sound pretty good with that combo.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^ sounds like a great plan IMO, wonder why more people don't do that. you should start a thread.

You know that was a joke right?

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recently started running 5qt 10w30 PP and 2 qt 5w30 QSUD and my hemi is quieter and smoother than with just 5w30 QSUD

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
whatever works...

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Both extremely high detergency. PUP has stated their PUP is higher in detergency and that is the main if only difference between that and PP, we posted that email a long time ago in syn thread. Plus their base oil has the ability to absorb contamination, maybe not much more then hydro cracked but many people think it should have it's own grouping like 3.5 because of the performance. The gas is put into solid and then hydrocracked. I mean the uoa's are amazing on PUP, just so many people have lower wear on PUP then most group 3 oils, it's a winner.

Redline also is just as high in detergency but goes a little further as it is ester based. Esters are like little scrubbers that have no grit. Many products out there are engine flushes and are nothing more than esters. If you run auto rx you see ash on the dipstick as it cleans, and all that product is ester based, no solvents, and it cleans that good.

As far as detergency both have substantial cleaning ability over most of the competition. Can't go wrong with either, but I do wish 5w30 PUP had 200ppm moly plus. So if I have to choose that would be the main difference and reason to run redline over PUP. Call the detergency factor a wash, both are great, but other aspects of the formula put Redline on top as it will protect metal that gets less lubrication more then PUP.

I think redline is the perfect oil for hemi's, and I would say the same thing about PUP if they were 200ppm, I would call that perfection. I think maybe some other Pennzoils do have that moly, we know 0w40 does but I believe their HM oils does and maybe some of their others ones do as well. I can't remember everything, but I believe moly level is more important than detergency level for the hemi. Both things are important, but all oils have detergency, not all have super high moly, and no doubt our application benefits from this and fca knows it.

There are applications where PUP would outperform redline, such as di turbo's. There are many applications where they would be a tie as the extra stuff in redline would have not much value, probably most cars out there. But with our specific challenges owning hemi's, redline has more then just cleaning abilty.
That was one detailed response! Thank you sir. I have run two redline oil changes on my 67k miles HEMI as a preventive maintenance. No issues running either 5w20 nor 5w3 . Other times I did PUP 5w20. The engine is significantly quieter with 5w30 RL, followed by 5w20 RL. Not bad with 5w20 PUP. Now that my truck mileage is getting higher, I am thinking of going 5W30 RL full time. I am starting to hear 5 - 7 seconds tick on cold startups. The only concern I had was the cleaning ability of RL. Thank you for clarifying that. I know it had to have been posted before in one of the numerous threads. Just couldn't find it.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is such a weird "debate" .... Why stop at 30 then? Why not run 90w140 if 30 is better than 20 go all the way right?

Weird.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because 90w140 isnt motor oil?
So? Now suddenly you're being specific about following the manufacturer recommendation?

So weird.

Why not 20w50 motor oil then since you're equating viscosity with goodosity?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
So? Now suddenly you're being specific about following the manufacturer recommendation?

So weird.

everyone knows the 5.7s ram 5w30 untill FCA had to switch over for CAFE reason alone to try to squeeze out .05 mpg more to make the government happy

5w30 is a better weight of oil to run in these motors and the main reason they did not change it in the 5.7s in the 2500s.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That damn government, always trying to make me get better fuel efficiency and pollute the planet less! Why don't they stick to putting children in cages so I can get back to putting thicker versions of things in things! Hang on I'm gonna go pour sour cream on my cheerios brb.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

So weird.

Oil type is more important than weight and 20w50 mobile 1 synthetic would be just fine and a great option for someone who tows a lot in the summer heat.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
That damn government, always trying to make me get better fuel efficiency and pollute the planet less! Why don't they stick to putting children in cages so I can get back to putting thicker versions of things in things! Hang on I'm gonna go pour sour cream on my cheerios brb.

Yes and at the cost of less lubrication for your motor, the government does not care how long your motor last.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK my wife's 2002 Mustang has been running 5w20 as specified for 18 years now and she drives the frijoles off that car. Doesn't consume or leak oil between intervals. What exactly am I missing here?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
OK my wife's 2002 Mustang has been running 5w20 as specified for 18 years now and she drives the frijoles off that car. Doesn't consume or leak oil between intervals. What exactly am I missing here?

Hmm different motor. My wifes Mustang also runs on 5w20.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I mean its just the same reason the 6.4 calls for 0w40, if you are going to work it hard it needs more protection and hauling a load works a motor harder than just drive a none loaded car hard.
Jmo

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I can't travel into the future to talk about my decades old Ram but it's 5 years old on 5w20 with no start up noise.

If 30w is "better" in our engines designed after 2000 why would it not be equally "better" in some old Ford motor designed when Reagan was an actor?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Sorry I can't travel into the future to talk about my decades old Ram but it's 5 years old on 5w20 with no start up noise.

If 30w is "better" in our engines designed after 2000 why would it not be equally "better" in some old Ford motor designed when Reagan was an actor?

I am sure if one drives their truck in a light duty capacity 5w20 is fine or you would be seeing alot more cam failures then we do now. But if your going to work it hard and want the best lubrication I believe 5w30 is a better choice.