on a 94 2500 i have to put it into the 2wd position to get into 4 wheel high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGCOUNTRY01

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 ram 2500
Engine
V10 8.0
Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I have a 1994 dodge 2500 4x4 with the v10 8.0. I had my transmission rebuilt by a shop in Flagstaff Arizona a few years ago and every since then I have had a problem. For some reason in order for me to get my truck to go into 4 wheel high I have to put it in the 2wd position. And in order to get it into 2 wheel drive I have to put it in the 4 high position. It wont go into 4 low at all. It is pretty messed up as well I had the transmission rebuilt before I moved back to Alaska. I didn't discover this problem until 3 days after I had gotten my truck back from the shop and I had hit some snow in Idaho on my trip back up. Needless to say I couldn't turn around and head back to the shop where I had it rebuilt. Does anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds like the vacuum lines are reversed at the transfer case. There is a pair of vacuum lines going from the front axle to the transfer case. They should be red and black. switch them at the transfer case and should be good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
B

BIGCOUNTRY01

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 ram 2500
Engine
V10 8.0
Thank you i will give that a shot. Im going to try and get into my buddys shop next week so i dont have to lay in snow ill try changing the vacum lines out thank you for your help

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
No problem. That's at least what it sounds like. I did the same thing on my truck once. Also check the shift linkage while it is up there. One thing I would recommend is changing out the vacuum connectors that go from the hard lines to the red and black lines at the transfer case. Truck004.jpg

These will loose their connection over time and make vacuum leaks. I used a 2" piece of rubber vacuum line to fix mine.

Ramgirl01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
If you havent already looked under to see what is going on, I have an 01 that is the same way. Mine changed when we replaced the transfer case. They used 2 different transfer cases in this generation. The first which is in my truck now that did not have on the fly shifting and the new that did which is what my truck started with, that went out. It may just be an older transfer case so the shifting pattern is different. Practically backwards. Do you have on the fly shifting into 4x4 or does it have to be in Nuetral?