P0402 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
2022 Ram 3500 with only 4,000 miles on it. I was pulling a flatbed trailer with only about 2,500lbs on it through the mountains of KY & TN. Why would my new truck be throwing a "exhaust gas recirculation flow excessive detected"? Stock except for the Banks CAI. Would a wire that come back loose from the install cause this? It might be all in my head but I felt it had just a little less power & that the exhaust brake lost about half of it's stopping power. Again that might just be all in my head.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hate to say it but it's most likely the banks intake causing your issue. Seen several complaints of the same issue with that intake. Honestly there is no benefit to it over stock, I'd put the stock filter back in and call it a day. I bet your problem goes away if you do.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Hate to say it but it's most likely the banks intake causing your issue. Seen several complaints of the same issue with that intake. Honestly there is no benefit to it over stock, I'd put the stock filter back in and call it a day. I bet your problem goes away if you do.

^^^ 100% ^^^

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hmmm I will give that some consideration. I would have to clean the OEM one up. it has a mouse nest in it from sitting in Mexico for 6 months. Didn't know it until I took it out. Before anyone says anything I am NOT being a smart a$$. How does the EGR interact with the air intake? Where does the exhaust gas dump out in the system?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
this video, may help you
This mechanic knows his stuff

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
this video, may help you
This mechanic knows his stuff

Is a great video if I was needing to clean mine but I would hope mine wouldn't need a cleaning yet at 4,000mi.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Here is the basic layout of the emissions components.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 8.14.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 8.14.58 AM.png
    395.2 KB · Views: 8

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Its the Banks CAI hands down due to the MAF sensor placement in the tube. Until I installed my monster ram I would get regular P0402's with just the CAI installed. I haven't seen one since the install, but if I do see another I'll be ditching the banks CAI for the S&B. I know for a fact that S&B did a redesign for this very issue so kinda regret not just getting an S&B in the 1st place to go with my monster ram and boost tubes.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Its the Banks CAI hands down due to the MAF sensor placement in the tube. Until I installed my monster ram I would get regular P0402's with just the CAI installed. I haven't seen one since the install, but if I do see another I'll be ditching the banks CAI for the S&B. I know for a fact that S&B did a redesign for this very issue so kinda regret not just getting an S&B in the 1st place to go with my monster ram and boost tubes.
Interesting, I have a monster mam & boost tubes that I just haven't had time to install yet. Maybe this is the answer so I don't have to try & sell all of this stuff. Probably should have left well enough alone, but the kid in me wanted it. How long have you been code free with the monster ram? I have had the CAI on for a couple of months but this weekend is the only time it has thrown a code.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting, I have a monster mam & boost tubes that I just haven't had time to install yet. Maybe this is the answer so I don't have to try & sell all of this stuff. Probably should have left well enough alone, but the kid in me wanted it. How long have you been code free with the monster ram? I have had the CAI on for a couple of months but this weekend is the only time it has thrown a code.
It's been a couple of months now since I've seen a P0402. I did have one "Service Exhaust" pop on the dash without setting a CEL, but after replacing EGR crossover tube gaskets (really should come in the Monster Ram install bits) it hasn't been back. These trucks can be hit or miss since the other '22 6.7 in the family is running just the Banks CAI without any codes while mine would pop them regularly. All in all I'd say the tubes and monster ram are worth it seeing the stock stuff come off as well as ditching the grid heater, but the CAI feels grossly overpriced for what it is.

I'm also now playing with an Edge EZX which datalogging I've noticed has smoothed out what the truck is seeing from the intercepted MAF signal so I doubt I'll have the issue return. If it does Banks CAI is getting swapped for the S&B box.