Performance Curve catback, any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
That i know, i have installed many exhaust systems on many vehicles. This being a knock off 2 chamber im a little worried it will have the raspy pop sound which i dont want. Thats why i had hopes that someone here is running it and could post up a quick sound clip of it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Could always buy it for the pipes then get a real, free flowing muffler.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Im a huge fan of the ****** Aerochamber. On my 5.9 Grand Cherokee i have 2.25" engine pipes, flowmaster 2.25"-3" y pipe, 3" magnaflow cat, 3" ****** aerochamber muffler, 3" mandrel bent tail pipe. Sounds beastly and made a big difference with the other engine mods i have to support it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The 94-97 trucks could benefit from exhaust, 98+ trucks benefited more from a decent muffler and a new y-pipe. So also consider getting an off road y-pipe or a Magnaflow Direct-fit cat.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have a high end custom shop in town. They bend everything for me on the spot. Gime a bit ill post up pictures of what they did for my on my Jeep

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
2.25" Engine pipes, everything else is 3" I also have MSD 8.5mm wires, MSD coil, ported intake manifold, 52mm TB, 24lb injectors, K&N intake, did the aluminum belly pan. I have a Hughes airgap sitting waiting to go on with the new engine along with doug throley headers. Leme tell you guys something, Rams are WAY cheaper to work on than the 93-98 grand cherokee. My headers alone cost me $740 lol

Attachments

• Exhaust 1.jpg
    Exhaust 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Exhaust 2.jpg
    Exhaust 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 25

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Those pipes look great.
I dunno if my exhaust guy has a mandrel bender...hopefully it's not too bad. lol
Sounds great as well, btw.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thank you. I honestly dont plan on going that crazy with the ram. I may pick up a set of cheap Ebay headers if anything. The catback will go on the way it is, if i dont like the sound ill order the single in dual out ****** aerochamber to replace it with. I guess the $190 is worth it for the pipes, not having to pay someone local to bend them, i can install them on my own in probably an hour.

heavymetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2, Cam, Headers
I think its going to be one of those "you get what you pay for deals". I'd have the local shop do the work, they did a great job on the jeep setup (i did my own on my 5.2 Grand cherokee, its way tighter then the ram is)

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Installed. Fit nicely, i did have to bend one of the pre welded hangers but thats about it. Used all the factory mounting points other than having to add one bolt through a factory hole to install a hanger on the drivers side for the tail pipe. I have it all clamped right now but ill bring it to my shop sooner than later to weld it all up and weld the tips on. Tips included are VERY nice. Stainless tips with rolled edges, much nicer than i expected. For $190 delivered to my door in 3 days, im a happy camper.

Ram exhaust - YouTube

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Installed. Fit nicely, i did have to bend one of the pre welded hangers but thats about it. Used all the factory mounting points other than having to add one bolt through a factory hole to install a hanger on the drivers side for the tail pipe. I have it all clamped right now but ill bring it to my shop sooner than later to weld it all up and weld the tips on. Tips included are VERY nice. Stainless tips with rolled edges, much nicer than i expected. For $190 delivered to my door in 3 days, im a happy camper.

Ram exhaust - YouTube

Do you have any other videos of this exhaust? I am interested in doing it myself. Perhaps you or dodge dude94 can chime in and tell me if there would be any power or torque gain from this-or is it more for just sound...

Even though it is not a 'true dual' exhaust I wonder if there are any power gains to be had from going single outlet dual out...

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
What other videos would you like? Yes i did notice mid range and top end performance gains. True dual means nothing, proper flowing exhaust is what it's all about. Throwing 2 pipes under it can do more harm than good unless you do it properly.

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
What other videos would you like? Yes i did notice mid range and top end performance gains. True dual means nothing, proper flowing exhaust is what it's all about. Throwing 2 pipes under it can do more harm than good unless you do it properly.

If you can just do a video from behind, perhaps a few revs. Any pics for videos of the system, hangers, quality of it that sort of thing. Sorry if I am asking too much. If I am going to be on my back on the cold concrete to put this on I just want to get an idea of how it looks.

To me the factory y pipe into one muffler and then dual outlet out seems like it would gain power from being more free flowing but lose back pressure and torque.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Precisely. Removing the y is where there gains are, but a crossover is still needed. You can definitely lose a lot of power with an improper system.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Ill get more pictures when the foot of snow is gone, we have 3 for inches coming tonight so it may be a little while lol. I can take a video tomorrow though. As for quality, im very happy. All the stock hanger locations are used and everything lines up as it should. There is a hole in the chassis in the back on the drivers side to bolt the hanger to so you can support the drivers side tail pipe. Stainless tips have a nice rolled edge and even have a water drip hole right at the end to avoid pooling. IMO you wont find better than this for the price.

As for the y pipe, i left everything stock on my ram. If i ever have an issue with the cat in the future ill worry about it then. Come spring i will be adding headers. I also own a 98 Grand Cherokee with a 5.9 in it. I had everything done on that. Here's a picture of the 2.25" engine pipes into a flowmaster 2.25"-3" y pipe. A y pipe this this would work well on the ram also. Everything from that point back is 3" also. Huge difference with this.

Attachments

• Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Y pipe.jpg
    Y pipe.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 15

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
FWIW I know of a few people that have tried to go long tube headers (pacesetter), all of them have run into clearance trouble with the front DS. Some just put a big dent in them others took them off and went to shorties.