Performance Curve catback, any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Im going with shorties, already have them. Just waiting on nicer weather and i have a bunch of things on the to-do list.

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Ill get more pictures when the foot of snow is gone, we have 3 for inches coming tonight so it may be a little while lol. I can take a video tomorrow though. As for quality, im very happy. All the stock hanger locations are used and everything lines up as it should. There is a hole in the chassis in the back on the drivers side to bolt the hanger to so you can support the drivers side tail pipe. Stainless tips have a nice rolled edge and even have a water drip hole right at the end to avoid pooling. IMO you wont find better than this for the price.

As for the y pipe, i left everything stock on my ram. If i ever have an issue with the cat in the future ill worry about it then. Come spring i will be adding headers. I also own a 98 Grand Cherokee with a 5.9 in it. I had everything done on that. Here's a picture of the 2.25" engine pipes into a flowmaster 2.25"-3" y pipe. A y pipe this this would work well on the ram also. Everything from that point back is 3" also. Huge difference with this.

Is your Ram stock other than the exhaust? Right now I have the same Thrush muffler that dodge dude94 has. I like the sound, but it is quiet. My Ram is not a daily driver, more of a work/getting back in the woods to mountain bike truck. So I do not mind if it is louder, the exhaust is kind of the radio (not like I am going to listen to a factory tape deck with blown door speakers).

I have thought about deleting the tail pipe and having the local muffler shop weld in a pipe that would exit in front of the right rear tire. Any thoughts on that?

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thrush mufflers do the job but yea they are quiet. Having a tail pipe adds needed back pressure, i would leave it. I have the exhaust, will be adding headers, im doing mild work to the kegger and going with a ported and polished throttle body. I also added an edelbrock air cleaner. Nothing over the top just some bolt-ons.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For me, having a 3in tailpipe acts as a megaphone for my muffler. lol Larry, being that you have a 97, your exhaust pipe off that muffler is going to be smaller and have tighter bends in it.

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I looked at the tailpipe. It is 2.25" diameter. It actually looks pretty smooth, no tight bends. To me the stock exhaust manifolds are good enough, Dodge used a similar design on their muscle cars of the 70s that flowed well. The real restriction looks to be the stock y-pipe. That might be where I start. I might just get something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-23285/overview/year/1997/make/dodge/model/ram-1500

Bigger diameter and less sharp bends.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That's a good pipe. Another option is the Jegs Off Road y-pipe. Now, it's "off road" because it doesn't come with a provision for a cat, but it's not hard to add that and it's one of the best options for a y-pipe for stock manifolds.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
the OP's exhaust for 190

only thing i'm going to do is add 2 2.5" glasspacks to act as resonators before the tips.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Could always just swap out the chambered muffler for a turbo........

:D

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Seeing as a glasspack is straight through, I don't see how it would restrict the exhaust that much. :wtf:

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Eh i guess but that still bring me back to the same question. Why? lol

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
She thinks it's going to resonate too much for her taste I guess.

That's why I suggested going turbo.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
If you do go with a non chambered muffler i must say i LOVE my ****** Aerochamber on my Grand Cherokee 5.9 I thought about buying this catback just for the pipes and ordering another Aerochamber for the ram but im happy with the muffler it came with. Run it first and see what you think, its surprisingly quiet at highway speeds.

OP
OP
Dodge96Ram

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Ill do what i can to get another video of this system on my Ram tomorrow. We have been getting hammered with snow here and the Ram is not my daily driver. We got about 8"-9" early Thursday, then rain which turned to ice thursday night and then 4" of snow on top of that ice. Snow starts again tonight and we expect another 6"-8" It just never stops lol.

Larry_Flynt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Don't worry about it. I understand how snow can be a pain. I am not sure if I want to go duals or not. The Thrush with the stock piping is starting to grow on me. I wish it sounded like dodge dude94's truck though! A 360 and a 3" tailpipe helps his cause I think...

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Don't worry about it. I understand how snow can be a pain. I am not sure if I want to go duals or not. The Thrush with the stock piping is starting to grow on me. I wish it sounded like dodge dude94's truck though! A 360 and a 3" tailpipe helps his cause I think...

My vote is go duels, I have ran it that way from new. Two 2.25 pipes, one H for the for the pre 02 and one H for the post 02. She has never had a cat or cats on it.

I have changed it up a little in the past year from two super 44's to one stainless magnaflow, two in two out cross-over muffler, then side exit in front of the pass side tire.

The super 44's and my motor well it was just too loud.

This time around I made it out of what they call stainless pipe and dropped the rear H and just put the post 02 in one pipe. The whole system is now stainless including the band clamps. I have to take it back in and have them remake the one pipe off the drivers side header they did not get it right. Also have plans to move the tips to behind the wheel again, pita to keep that wheel clean.