Performance Issues (stock/canned tune, octane)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This started out as a comment on another members thread which made me realize I have been giving a few points of information from my experience, but not fully explaining them.

There is always a lot of confusion when it comes to octane and performance on the stock tune and the canned DiabloSport tunes.

I think the issue is that there is no one answer that fits all scenarios.

Stock tune;

A lot of people ask if it is worth running 93 octane on the stock tune. You will get people who say yes, you will get people who say no. What it really comes down to is how is your vehicle performing on 87? How much ST and LT knock retard are you getting running 87? Just to clarify, knock retard is not always audible so simply listening for knock will not tell you the true story. Your options are a tuner that can log/monitor KR or one of the $7 bluetooth OBD II set ups.

If you are getting more than 2 ST or ANY LT knock then moving up a grade will benefit you both power and MPG wise. If you go up a grade and you are still seeing those knock numbers then keep going up until it is gone.

If you are running 87 octane and you see 0 ST or LT knock then moving up a grade will be useless and a waste of money, BUT (a big but) over the past 5 years I have been browsing the Ram/Challenger forums, I have yet to see one single person who gets 0 knock on 87 or even 89 octane. I am not saying it is impossible but I have yet to see it.

In my own experience, even running 93 octane on the stock tune I was seeing 9 ST and 1 LT Knock Retard but that is due to the poor quality fuel in my area. The general rule of thumb is that for every 1 degree of ST Knock Retard, you lose 5hp. 9 x 5 = 45hp so you can imagine how big of an impact knock was having on my performance. I recorded several data logs over the span of a few months while I tested out the different gas stations in my area and found that any Chevron station gave me significantly less knock than any others. This may not be true in your area but I encourage you to test the different brands. Typically BP, Shell and Chevron tend to be the best performers and are even recommended by some of the top tuners. In my area BP is not available and Chevron outperforms Shell.

During my second tank of 93 octane I noticed an increase in my MPG. Doing the math shows that the increased price at the pump was negated by the increased MPG I was seeing. This means that I was not paying any extra for the premium fuel over 87 but I was getting more performance. Win/win. This may not be true for everyone else but again I encourage testing it out for yourself.

I just want to make something clear. Running 87 octane WILL NOT hurt your vehicle. Many of the arguments I see in these threads are people saying something like “I have used 87 octane since I bought my vehicle and I have no issues”. There is a big difference between having no issues and running at optimal performance. You can run 87 octane for the life of your vehicle and will probably have no issues if you conduct proper maintenance, but that does not mean that you are using the full potential of your engine.

Canned tunes;

There are many people who buy a tuner, immediately install the 93 octane tune, then call it junk after their performance actually drops. I hate to admit it but I too was one of these people. But there are just as many people who have good first experiences as there are people who have bad ones. As an analyst this is a clear sign that there must be some variable that accounts for the different experiences. The fact that there are so many out there who have good experiences told me that my bad experience was not the norm and warrants some looking into. After 5 years talking to the folks in these forums and testing/analyzing my own data on the 4 Dodge vehicles I have owned I have come to the conclusion that the variable is Knock Retard.

There are various different reasons for Knock, these are some of the things I have found while working on eliminating knock on my vehicles in order of how big of an effect they had on my knock values:
Poor fuel quality/too low of octane
Oil vapors from the PCV system being sucked into the intake
Inconsistency in spark plug gap on originally installed spark plugs
Intake manifold bolts not torqued to spec from the factory (common on Challengers)
Dirty fuel lines
Excessive heat (engine and intake temperatures)
False knock

The reason I list these under the canned tune header is the fact that ALL performance issues I have seen people complain about, and originally had myself, were due to the canned 93 octane tune INCREASING knock. I like many others, filled up with 93 octane tuned for the 93 canned tune then immediately went out and did a 0-60 comparison. I was furious when my results were worse than the stock tune. I went to the DS forums flaming their product (Sorry MikeL) and noticed I was not the only one having these issues. It was there that I realized that something didn’t add up because there were many others who loved the performance increase.

The most common solution/recommendation is to first run the 91 canned tune on 93 octane. For the experienced people who roam the forums (both Ram, Challenger and DS) helping others, this is always the recommended set up when using canned tunes.

This is my step by step personal recommendation for anyone looking to either get the most performance out of their stock tune or use a canned tune.

If you do not have a tuner you can get a Bluetooth OBDII module off of Ebay for $7. They usually come with the software to datalog so you can record your findings.

On your stock tune or canned tune, whatever fuel you have been running, log your ST and LT knock retard. If they register 0 for the whole log then you are fine and there is no need to change anything.

If you see more than 2 ST or ANY LT, then try going up an octane grade and log another run. Note: It is common to see a short spike in ST during shifts. If it spikes then quickly falls in the middle of a shift then there is no issue.

If you are up to 93 octane and you are still seeing knock then I would recommend a catch can. Many people bash them saying they are useless but nearly all tuners for these newer Dodge engines will recommend the same thing and they do it for a reason. It has consistently been shown to reduce Knock.

If you already have a catch can or you do not want to purchase one then my next recommendation would be to replace your spark plugs. I know some will think that’s going a little far but from what I have seen on the forums and for myself on my Challenger is that the gap on the stock plugs are inconsistent and usually much shorter than the owner’s manual recommends. The reason I suggest changing them instead of checking is that they use a crush type washer which once removed, should be replaced. This cleaned up much of my Knock, idle and start up issues and even smoothed out my throttle lag a bit.

I am not sure if this is common on Rams but there have been many people (including myself) who have reported that the stock intake manifold bolts were very loose and once torqued to spec, it helped out their idle and throttle lag issues. For me it also resulted in less Knock, I believe mine were very loose as I had to rotate them several full turns before they were even snug.

If you have more than 10k miles I would recommend using a complete fuel system cleaner. I do this before every oil change and it makes a noticeable difference in power delivery. The most recommended product is the Techron Concentrate 20oz Fuel System cleaner, but I recommend Redline SI-1 as it makes the most noticeable difference to me.

Another option is to reduce the overall heat of the engine. If you have a tuner this can be accomplished by adding a 180 thermostat and dropping your fan settings 20 across the board. This has been one of the most common mods to combat heat simply because it is effective.

If you have tried all the above and you are still getting knock, you may want to check to see if it is false knock that is registering as ST. My suggestion is to purchase the NOS Racing Formula octane booster that will increase octane by 70 points or 7 full octane points. When using this product along with 93 octane fuel you should see nearly 0 knock. If you are still getting knock then there is a good chance that it is false and you should examine your engine bay for anything that may be loose rattling around or hitting the engine.

WARNING: Octane boosters have the potential to foul your spark plugs. I only recommend this exact brand because it was recommended to me and it worked for exactly what I needed it to. I do not recommend using on a regular basis as I only used one can and when I changed my plugs it left an orange coating on them. If you have followed my steps and you are only seeing 1-2 ST and 0 LT knock then there is no use running a booster as even the top custom tuners agree that 1-2 ST is an acceptable amount of knock.

I know this is pretty long and probably not the best formatting but I think it explains what I have learned over the past few years I have been searching and talking to people on these forums. Hope that it helps a few people who may be stuck wondering why they are not getting the performance they expected.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
DTRU, that was a well written short article. Those English and Comp classes payed off.

I've read what you wrote, twice. I'm going to heed you good advice. Gears, tuner, LSD, and catch can are en route as we speak. Gears going to be installed in 18 days. I'll install a Hemi Fever 91 the minute the gears are finished. The tank will be full of 93, Marathon.

There is a big difference in gasoline. Around here Citgo is crap. Marathon give noticeably better fuel economy. Running used oil thru an engine's combustion chamber cannot possibly be optimal.

Thanks again. I'll post my results in about 3 weeks.

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting read. Any particular OBDII module you would recommend? There's a crap load of them on ebay.

OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting read. Any particular OBDII module you would recommend? There's a crap load of them on ebay.

The one I used was one of the smaller clear blue ones. I see now that there a many different kinds. Any of them should work.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for taking the time to post the information. It is and should be very helpful for everyone. I recently saw a post complaining about noob's and the questions they ask so reading your post is sorta a breath of fresh air. If some members are tired of helping others and answering questions(I know--USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION)maybe they have outgrown some of us and they need to find some site that has more advanced information they can use for their completed fully race ready trucks. Silly me, I thought we were here to help each other-----
Thanks again for your post!
Jay

RedNBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
haven't seen ST or LT data on the Bully Dog, does this only show on the DS?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The one I used was one of the smaller clear blue ones. I see now that there a many different kinds. Any of them should work.

What app are you using?

My TQ app won't show ST or LT knock for mopars.. I can read it fine on any GM or ford car though. So I just use my Itune to datalog.

I e-mailed the developer about it, but never got a response.

About your post. It's a good read..Not a fan of octane boosets but anyways. lol

I come from the boosted world and knock is everything. Keeping your fuel trims in check and KR as low as possible is the goal.

OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. Shouldn't be any problems hooking one up to a 14 you think?

It should, it worked fine on my 2013.

What app are you using?

My TQ app won't show ST or LT knock for mopars.. I can read it fine on any GM or ford car though. So I just use my Itune to datalog.

I e-mailed the developer about it, but never got a response.

About your post. It's a good read..Not a fan of octane boosets but anyways. lol

I come from the boosted world and knock is everything. Keeping your fuel trims in check and KR as low as possible is the goal.

Hmm when I had the torque app it did show ST & LT. You may have to pay for the $2 version for it to work. The Bluetooth adapters should come with software that reads knock as well, in case you cant get the torque app to show it.

If you have an intune though that is definitely the suggested route.

Many people do not like octane boosters, I do not suggest running them except for trying to determine false vs real knock. If you use them too much it will leave an orange coating on your plugs which may foul them.

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Apple products at home so have to use a wifi device instead of Bluetooth. Still only $20 or so. From what I can find DashCommand seems to be the App of choice but I don't see ST or LT knock listed on the supported parameters list. Is there another term it might go by?

Edit: I sent an email to the App developer Palmer Performance Engineering asking. See what they say.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I bought the cheap ELM adapter on amazon. The older longer ones, not the shorter blue ones. I've heard those have connections problems sometimes.
I did pay the $5 for the pro tq app.

Maybe I will try there forum..

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
majority of octane boosters = trash. Unless you're mixing in some torco or race fuel, you're doing more harm than good.

OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
majority of octane boosters = trash. Unless you're mixing in some torco or race fuel, you're doing more harm than good.

I agree. That's why I recommended an exact product, because I know it works. Other than trying to determine if your getting real or false knock I would never recommend it. I have seen plugs that were just as bad by using torco. Either way you should not run either regularly IMO

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. That's why I recommended an exact product, because I know it works. Other than trying to determine if your getting real or false knock I would never recommend it. I have seen plugs that were just as bad by using torco. Either way you should not run either regularly IMO

To determine whether knock is real or false, just be patient and run the tank down below a quarter (only for this purpose, not regularly!) then fill with a higher octane fuel from the get go. There's nothing an octane booster will do for your truck that a 6 octane higher fuel won't do, and for less money and with less potential damage.

Now, if you can get your hands on C16...

OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To determine whether knock is real or false, just be patient and run the tank down below a quarter (only for this purpose, not regularly!) then fill with a higher octane fuel from the get go. There's nothing an octane booster will do for your truck that a 6 octane higher fuel won't do, and for less money and with less potential damage.

Now, if you can get your hands on C16...

I agree and thats what I explained in the beginning. The first step is to go up a grade and to keep raising the octane until you rarely see knock. But if you are running 93 octane and you are still getting knock (for me 9ST 1LT) then, and only then, I would recommend the NOS racing formula octane booster as it worked for me. 7 full octane points on top of the 93 should put you next to 100 octane and if you are still getting knock then, it is very likely to be false.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree and thats what I explained in the beginning. The first step is to go up a grade and to keep raising the octane until you rarely see knock. But if you are running 93 octane and you are still getting knock (for me 9ST 1LT) then, and only then, I would recommend the NOS racing formula octane booster as it worked for me. 7 full octane points on top of the 93 should put you next to 100 octane and if you are still getting knock then, it is very likely to be false.

So here's my problem with that.

Did you actually test your octane content after adding it?

If you even just look at the stuff on amazon....it says in 3 different places, raises octane 3 numbers (93 to 96), then the box says 6 numbers (93-99), then the bottle says 7 numbers (93-100). That's iffy as it is.

Then you look at it on Advance's website. It says it treats 16 gallons, and that the octane increase could be between 1-6 numbers.

If a 12oz bottle has the potential to only increase 1 number in 16 gallons and MAYBE 6 in 16 gallons, I have serious doubts about it's effectiveness in our 26 gallon tanks.

Finally, 12 ounces is under 1/10th of a gallon. It would have to have a pretty potent formula to increase the octane in 1 gallon, never mind the 26 in our tank.

(R+M)/2. One value is the research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. The other value is the motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94.

So for a 93 octane fuel, you can safely assume that the RON was 96 and the MON was 90. In order to raise that 1 octane number to 94, you need to raise either the RON or the MON 2 numbers.

Here's an interesting thought....If the octane booster increases the RON (low RPM det resistance) and not the MON (high RPM knock resistance), it will raise the 'gas pump' octane number but not actually provide any additional knock resistance at higher RPMs, since the knock resistance and timing becomes more critical the higher the RPMs and engine load get.

OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So here's my problem with that.

Did you actually test your octane content after adding it?

If you even just look at the stuff on amazon....it says in 3 different places, raises octane 3 numbers (93 to 96), then the box says 6 numbers (93-99), then the bottle says 7 numbers (93-100). That's iffy as it is.

Then you look at it on Advance's website. It says it treats 16 gallons, and that the octane increase could be between 1-6 numbers.

If a 12oz bottle has the potential to only increase 1 number in 16 gallons and MAYBE 6 in 16 gallons, I have serious doubts about it's effectiveness in our 26 gallon tanks.

Finally, 12 ounces is under 1/10th of a gallon. It would have to have a pretty potent formula to increase the octane in 1 gallon, never mind the 26 in our tank.

So for a 93 octane fuel, you can safely assume that the RON was 96 and the MON was 90. In order to raise that 1 octane number to 94, you need to raise either the RON or the MON 2 numbers.

Here's an interesting thought....If the octane booster increases the RON (low RPM det resistance) and not the MON (high RPM knock resistance), it will raise the 'gas pump' octane number but not actually provide any additional knock resistance at higher RPMs, since the knock resistance and timing becomes more critical the higher the RPMs and engine load get.

I am not trying to defend octane boosters, but this one worked exactly how I needed it to.

No I did not test my octane after adding it. I was getting 9 ST and 1 LT KR on 93 pump gas and after adding it I got a constant reading of 0. It even eliminated the Knock Spike between shifts which is something that I still have to this day (its normal). Thats proof enough for me and thats all that I was looking for. This told me that I was not getting false knock and that I needed to look towards other methods of eliminating it.

There is a reason why it is the very last step in my recommendation.

Running octane boosters is a bad idea, its a cheap way to fight knock and continued use may foul your spark plugs. I do not recommend using ANY booster outside of this one instance where you are running 93 pump octane and still seeing knock. If you use the product and it eliminates the knock then that is a sign that it is not false knock and you can take other measures towards eliminating it instead of spending money trying to fix it when it could be something simple like something hitting your headers or block.

Its funny that you mentioned that it should have no effect on the higher RPM. The 9 I was seeing was in the mid range but from 5k-5500 rpm I was seeing 2-3 and it still eliminated it.

I did not suggest this exact brand for no reason. When I was hunting down the cause of my knock it was suggested to me that these new Hemi's respond well to MMT and this product was recommended to me. I looked at quite a few different forums and it is highly recommended for the exact thing I was addressing, eliminating knock. Yes there are different concentrations. I have seen 30/3 full octane points, 60/6 full points and 70/7 full point versions. I recommended the highest version I have found. Whether it truly raises your octane 7 points I do not know and will not argue.

I have tried it, and it has worked. Several thousand miles after running a bottle I changed my plugs and they were coated orange. Just this one bottle left a residue so you could only imagine what continuously running one would do. I have heard the exact same story from people who ran a tank of Torco.

You have your quarrels with octane boosters and thats fine. I am not trying to change your mind and I am definitely not trying to stand behind a product that has the potential to foul your plugs. But for this test, it does exactly what you need it to do.

For any users who are reading this and who are now confused. Octane boosters have the potential to foul your plugs. If you have followed my suggestion and have done everything you can to try to eliminate knock then the exact brand/concentration I have suggested is the LAST step, and only recommended to use 1 time to test for false knock. If you are only getting 1-2 ST and 0 LT then there is no need to use it as those are acceptable numbers even for the best custom tuners out there.

I have added a warning to my original post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run Apple products at home so have to use a wifi device instead of Bluetooth. Still only $20 or so. From what I can find DashCommand seems to be the App of choice but I don't see ST or LT knock listed on the supported parameters list. Is there another term it might go by?

Edit: I sent an email to the App developer Palmer Performance Engineering asking. See what they say.

Let us know what you get back from them. I cant think of any other term it would go by. Detonation maybe?