Poll- Do you like MDS?

Do you like MDS?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually love MDS when I am cruising at 45-50 mph on the level and pulling 28-29 mpg vs. my normal high teens.
Stock single exhaust so no noise to ever deal with. It drops out of MDS pretty seamlessly so no complaint there.
I need the V8 to pull the boat but enjoy the V4 when not pulling and just light cruising.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just keep on not having any problems what am I doing wrong? I should at least be having my truck explode or something.. come on man it's been six years of letting MDS do its thing, of running 5w20 oil, of not removing the fan, not putting a different intake on, not installing a pedal commander or tuner... I just keep not having any problems I was promised! Dang it! When can I start having all the problems everyone says these things will cause!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Fun with stats! We can make them look like anything. Did you know that on average, every human has 1 test!cle??

In my opinion though, it's worse than what @2012RAM1500RT said; only 25% actually want it, the ones who don't care are excluded from the weighting because they're not going to buy or not buy a hemi if it has MDS. So if this was back in 2006 at the weekly hemi staff meeting and some guys says "hey lets make it work with 4 cylinders" and they wanted to know if it was a good idea; there is only 25% of ramforum members who value the feature, therefore from a risk/cost analysis perspective, it's kind of a fail.

Of course we have the benefit of 20/20 vision, I doubt Ram knew it would work so poorly in real life before committing to the idea.
God only knows what it cost them, "I mean us, the buyer" for this to be included in the price of our trucks!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if MDS is also responsible for the exhaust manifolds warping. While in MDS you have "hot spots" so speak where the active cylinders are and not an even heating of the whole manifold....
huh, good one. yeah, I have never heard of mani bolt issues is any of my other 90's trucks. ford toyo chevy, never heard of this, but mds engines also have mani bolts, huh

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I actually love MDS when I am cruising at 45-50 mph on the level and pulling 28-29 mpg vs. my normal high teens.
Stock single exhaust so no noise to ever deal with. It drops out of MDS pretty seamlessly so no complaint there.
I need the V8 to pull the boat but enjoy the V4 when not pulling and just light cruising.

I'd love it too if I thought I was going from 19 mpg to 29 mpg. Unfortunately that is fantasy.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just keep on not having any problems what am I doing wrong? I should at least be having my truck explode or something.. come on man it's been six years of letting MDS do its thing, of running 5w20 oil, of not removing the fan, not putting a different intake on, not installing a pedal commander or tuner... I just keep not having any problems I was promised! Dang it! When can I start having all the problems everyone says these things will cause!

your truck sounds boring try filling up at the diesel pump next time.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I wonder if MDS is also responsible for the exhaust manifolds warping. While in MDS you have "hot spots" so speak where the active cylinders are and not an even heating of the whole manifold....

Makes sense - non-MDS cylinders working harder than they would otherwise during MDS activation. MDS cylinders go "cold", while non-MDS cylinders go 2x hotter than normal. Differential thermal heat cycles can't be good down the cylinder banks.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I've had one repair on my 2012. A coil pack had enough of an issue to tell the check engine light to come on due to cylinder misfire. It's never left me stranded or even nervous.

Of course, I sacrifice a goat, a cigar, and a bottle of *** to the truck gods every second Thursday that falls on an equinox, so that's probably why.

*edit* Are you serious? R U M is censored here? C'mon. Is beer? Whiskey? Nope, just ***.

Gin
Wine
Vodka

Ok, so it's not just alcohol in general. It's specifically R U M. Anti-piracy measure?

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd love it too if I thought I was going from 19 mpg to 29 mpg. Unfortunately that is fantasy.
If it give me anywhere "close" to 29 MPG I would never say anything negative about it. I've seen no difference in mileage since I turned it off with a tuner. Why oh why would I want it when it doesn't help me. What's the advantage of saying I have it if there's no improvement. If it gave me 2 more MPG I would have never had it tuned out. I would have just turned it off manually when I didn't want it. It never helped at all so I got rid of it because I never used it after testing it. The results were not there. If it works for you keep it, I have nothing to loose!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If it give me anywhere "close" to 29 MPG I would never say anything negative about it. I've seen no difference in mileage since I turned it off with a tuner. Why oh why would I want it when it doesn't help me. What's the advantage of saying I have it if there's no improvement. If it gave me 2 more MPG I would have never had it tuned out. I would have just turned it off manually when I didn't want it. It never helped at all so I got rid of it because I never used it after testing it. The results were not there. If it works for you keep it, I have nothing to loose!
For my own personal decision on whether I like something or not I kinda look at it by a balance scale, pros and cons. With MDS I see not one pro but I have numerous cons but if I only had one con I still can't think of one pro I found with it!

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
@Burla Didn't someone post on here connecting their truck to fuel management software? All mds did was turn off half the cylinders but run double the amount of fuel (same amount of fuel if it was 8 cylinders). I haven't noticed any noticeable fuel mileage improvements on the highway with it.

Stever68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't mind it too much, but since I swapped the stock muffler for a Flowmaster 40, it is way more noticeable. I hate the way it sounds when MDS comes on, so I usually turn it off. That's on me for swapping the muffler.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Coosawjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2008 1500 sounded like a tractor with MDS kicked in and Magnaflow side exhaust so I turned it OFF......got a little better gas mileage with it off too....weird??:33:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
MDS is more of a novelty than a practicality, I would like to see RAM offer a hybrid electric motor that attaches to the transfercase as an option so I can coast downhill with regenerative braking.
I don’t think it would add anymore weight than the optional fuel tank.

I like MDS because it suits my road driving skill set. With the transfercase engaged or in reverse I haven’t seen an issue.

Is the poll about, who listens to car salesmen?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla Didn't someone post on here connecting their truck to fuel management software? All mds did was turn off half the cylinders but run double the amount of fuel (same amount of fuel if it was 8 cylinders). I haven't noticed any noticeable fuel mileage improvements on the highway with it.
I dunno about that, but what you say is true.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
MDS is more of a novelty than a practicality, I would like to see RAM offer a hybrid electric motor that attaches to the transfercase as an option so I can coast downhill with regenerative braking.

I am very interested in PHEV technology. Regenerative braking, power on tap for passing or hills, options for which energy source you are going to use, range as unlimited as any gas vehicle....seems like the best of both worlds with the current technology for my use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37