POSSIBLE 6.1 JUNKYARD FIND, PLEASE CONFIRM!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Just got this ping from my local LQK of a seemingly 6.1 hemi equipped vehicle, can someone please confirm whether its a true 6.1 or just an intake on a 5.7, please? a0bec5f67023dc24fe1eeac40f807ee0.jpg

Sent from my magic 5-inch

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That’s a 5.7 car intake and engine. You can tell by what looks like a flat smashed part on the front of the intake. The 6.1 is completely smooth and rounded

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
That’s a 5.7 car intake and engine. You can tell by what looks like a flat smashed part on the front of the intake. The 6.1 is completely smooth and rounded
That sucks. I looked up pics of the 6.1 in a 300c and everything looks the exact same as above, except the color of the intake, that smashed part (which I thought was just some damage), and the 6.1 had some plastic covers over the coil packs.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, 5.7. The 6.1 intake is metal. Also the 6.1 does not have EGR (left front, cylinder head to intake manifold). Not even an eagle 5.7, 06-08 LX.

SRT0hemi.jpg

One you found looks like mine lol

IMAG1309.jpg

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Yep, 5.7. The 6.1 intake is metal. Also the 6.1 does not have EGR (left front, cylinder head to intake manifold). Not even an eagle 5.7, 06-08 LX.

View attachment 123451

One you found looks like mine lol

View attachment 123452

Yeah, I looked up pics of a 5.7 model and it's an exact match.

The listing is for an 06 300c.

****. False alarm. I'll sure as **** be able to tell next time, though! :D

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could snatch that engine and build you a stroker

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
You could snatch that engine and build you a stroker
I have $300 to my name, atm. But I am trying to sell some lawn equipment for 2500... Even if I got 15....

But I'd realistically have to put that towards maintenence, tbh.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
So your trying to upgrade to a bigger motor trying to go fast lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
So your trying to upgrade to a bigger motor trying to go fast lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 6.1 would be worth it. Even if I were to snag it and flip it to another enthusiast. 6.1 blocks alone [I heard] were ~$1500, so imagine a complete engine that has a good block and internals and such. $276 to pull it from LKQ for at least a $1k flip? Worth it.

Besides, I'm not entirely sure I'd do anything. I just got really excited because it's gonna be damn rare to come across it. Like, winning the lottery rare. {{I actually checked my tickets after I saw the ping from LKQ, lol. Ironically, the results on those were much the same as this. Big fat 'nope', haha.}}

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
6.1's were designed from the get go to be performance engines. Heavier duty everything, piston squirters, no MDS, and a big bore. You can put apache heads on them. Ultimately I want to build a 392 or 426 6.1 based stroker with apache heads for my Charger.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
6.1's were designed from the get go to be performance engines. Heavier duty everything, piston squirters, no MDS, and a big bore. You can put apache heads on them. Ultimately I want to build a 392 or 426 6.1 based stroker with apache heads for my Charger.

Basically, my dream build for my ram would include an aluminum 6.1 base 426 stroker with the works. Possible nitrous and/or procharger, too.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's pretty damn obvious, lol. Don't you just about need a trans swap after camming a full bolt on, tuned 5.7?

Can get them to live a bit longer by always turning off OD before romping on it or tuning out 2P completely.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Can get them to live a bit longer by always turning off OD before romping on it or tuning out 2P completely.

I generally drive around in sport mode [read: towing mode] all the time unless I go on a long, MPG oriented highway trip. I also tap the gas while cruising to get it to downshift before hitting on it, or I'll manually shift into 2nd if I'm going slow enough[say, sub 60?].

I take it that if I were to do FBO, cam, and a tune to my truck, and THEN throw on NOS, I'd also need a new trans, yes?

Just off the cuff, are there any decent 6-speed manual options that would handle said power levels[or said power PLUS a 5.7 stroker build] and not be 10k or some **** like that?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I generally drive around in sport mode [read: towing mode] all the time unless I go on a long, MPG oriented highway trip. I also tap the gas while cruising to get it to downshift before hitting on it, or I'll manually shift into 2nd if I'm going slow enough[say, sub 60?].

I take it that if I were to do FBO, cam, and a tune to my truck, and THEN throw on NOS, I'd also need a new trans, yes?

Just off the cuff, are there any decent 6-speed manual options that would handle said power levels[or said power PLUS a 5.7 stroker build] and not be 10k or some **** like that?

Not necessarily. It's not like nitrous is running all the time. Hit up chefred. He has an 05 that was a 12 sec truck with and without nitrous on the original 5.7 before he had to rebuild it and ended up stroking it (which dropped it further into the 12's). Pretty sure he's still running an RFE.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Not necessarily. It's not like nitrous is running all the time. Hit up chefred. He has an 05 that was a 12 sec truck with and without nitrous on the original 5.7 before he had to rebuild it and ended up stroking it (which dropped it further into the 12's). Pretty sure he's still running an RFE.

I know a bit about Chefred's truck. Didn't know he was on THIS forum, let alone active. I DO need to ask him about something else, too...