Anyone know where to find a rack and pinion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Don't forget the bone yards! I am sure that there is a bent Ram out there somewhere.

IndyRamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[Edit] No pump --threaded rod. I mis-spoke ..my apologies.

One reason for the move to electric is to have crash avoidance and lane-keep ...and self-driving features. Not things I particularly want, but I guess some people must. Last car I drove (for a couple weeks), Audi A6, would almost put ya in the ditch if you made the simple maneuver of swerving to avoid a dead animal in the road. This was a brand new loaded A6 in 2021. Literally the car would try to muscle the wheel from your hands and you ended up over-correcting A LOT to muscle it to make certain avoidance corrections. Honestly, it was stupid. Certain other drivers I bet would end up freaking out and possibly get into a accident for no reason. VWs system needs a lot of work IMO. I drove a Toyota last year which wasn't very aggressive.

But that's the reason for "progress".

There are 3 main reasons that manufacturers have switched to electric steering. In order of importance to the manufacturer:

1) EPA/CAFE/MPG Requirements. This is abundantly apparent when you realize that all vehicles that don't have to meet stringent EPA requirements (2500/3500/etc) all have hydraulic systems.

2) Ease of manufacturing. As somebody pointed out, it reduces labor hours to bolt up and plug in a single part as opposed to a whole system

3) Consumer preference: This is where your point comes in. People enjoy the benefits of stability control and dynamic steering feel. Same reason its hard to buy a vehicle with roll up windows, consumers have come to expect these as standard options.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Add to the list that electric steering also is needed for stuff like auto park, active back up camera lines and self driving. Makes sense for the OEM to just install that part, even if the options aren't needed, to reduce inventory for cross platform interchangeability.

pros1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2013
Engine
V6/Hemi
I'm looking for this right now to for my 2013, failed yesterday while driving and locked up the wheel. I think I've narrowed it down to this part# 68256617AH says its for 2015-18 but all the 2013-2018 say discontinued or not available so I'm thinking it will work. Anyone know for sure?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like pointed out above, manufacturing costs must factor in a lot. It's a simple bolt-on affair (they come with tie-rod ends) and snap the harness connectors. No hoses, no pump, no pump bracket, no adding fluid, no little fasteners to keep the hoses routed right, and fewer parts to pay shipping on & warehouse, manage, etc. Lot fewer warranty leak claims to pay out (potentially). How many steps and how much labor did they save right there? If the EPS fails, some of the costs go back to the manufacturing subcontractor ..however the contract is written. If a mfgr doesn't seek the lowest costs, ultimately they won't be around in the future.

If your competitor is doing that, you're at a cost disadvantage. Plus it's probably required to meet stability control/lane-keep requirements.

If mine crapped out (it's a 2012 so it won't), I would dig into it and try to figure out the issue. Starting with the fuses up by the battery ...and wiring down to the EPS and the belt.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
my rack is grinding bad when i turn the wheel though it turns fine.. i wish you could rebuild these things, they are 2500 new

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm looking for this right now to for my 2013, failed yesterday while driving and locked up the wheel. I think I've narrowed it down to this part# 68256617AH says its for 2015-18 but all the 2013-2018 say discontinued or not available so I'm thinking it will work. Anyone know for sure?
Check the racks internal drive belt,it's a $50.00 dollar fix,and sounds like it might be your issue

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check the racks internal drive belt,it's a $50.00 dollar fix,and sounds like it might be your issue

That is good to know, is the belt very difficult to install?
Why the hell did they not use a chain for that?

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do some youtube searches. There are things you can look into to "hopefully" get it working.

I feel yer pain though ...not being able to get a new one (and the outrageous cost).

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do some youtube searches. There are things you can look into to "hopefully" get it working.

I feel yer pain though ...not being able to get a new one (and the outrageous cost).
Just went down the rabbit hole, lol.

There were a couple Ram vids that were so-so, and a few more for the Fords that were a bit more detailed.

Looked to me like it can be done in the truck.

There is an eccentric cam on the idler pulley bolt to tension the belt.

The later model Fords look like the unit is made where the belt is more exposed when the cover is removed, where the Ram looks like the belt is more down inside the unit.

If it has to be disconnected from the steering knuckle, or removed from the truck, my biggest concern would be making sure the position of the steering does not change during repair.

pros1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2013
Engine
V6/Hemi

I actually did this first and the belt was in perfect condition, also checked fuses and power at ends of cable and that was all fine to. I'm going to open up the board cover this weekend and see if I see anything.

I did find this interesting

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I actually did this first and the belt was in perfect condition, also checked fuses and power at ends of cable and that was all fine to. I'm going to open up the board cover this weekend and see if I see anything.

I did find this interesting
Another point to check while your checking things this week-end,is the knuckle on the steering shaft .It has been known to sieze up,but a few guys have been able to get some lube into it,and free it back up.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure to check the fuse on the positive battery cable right next to the positive post, if thats blown you wont get any power assist

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While perusing Marketplace for some other parts I found a used rack in Pittsburgh for $50, if that helps you any.

pros1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2013
Engine
V6/Hemi
Update
Removed rack and pinion from truck, was able to do it without removing wheels came out pretty easy.
removed cover inspected belt - perfect condition no signs of wear and truck has 140k miles on it now
Removed board cover plate - required special 5 point security bit not a torx - Everything looked to be fine no signs of wear or burn marks
Tested fuses I believe it was L78 and main fuse on battery post both good, tested for power at cable end where connects to Rack and had 12.4v power
Went ahead and ordered part# 68256617AH from dealer est 2 weeks, a used one wasn't much less will report back if this is a good part #.
Also submitted report to NHTSA about steering failure while driving as recommended by dealer.