Anyone know where to find a rack and pinion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Update
Removed rack and pinion from truck, was able to do it without removing wheels came out pretty easy.
removed cover inspected belt - perfect condition no signs of wear and truck has 140k miles on it now
Removed board cover plate - required special 5 point security bit not a torx - Everything looked to be fine no signs of wear or burn marks
Tested fuses I believe it was L78 and main fuse on battery post both good, tested for power at cable end where connects to Rack and had 12.4v power
Went ahead and ordered part# 68256617AH from dealer est 2 weeks, a used one wasn't much less will report back if this is a good part #.
Also submitted report to NHTSA about steering failure while driving as recommended by dealer.

Did you get the rack installed? Any issues?

My 2013 eps rack is currently dying. It makes a loud whining/grinding sound when turning, and appears to be leaking. It looks like the rubber boots have been torn for awhile, and I probably got some snow and water into it this winter.

The local dealership says the part is "discontinued", is a 2013 only part, and completely unavailable. They said that no other year would fit.
They suggested I buy another truck, and that they'd give me a great deal! :happy175:

Anyway, I was able to determine via Tasca Parts and Chrysler of McKinney's online parts stores that the newest version of this rack/pinion is pn# 68628858AA, and "should" fit all 1500 trucks from 2013, up to 18, including Ram Classics up to 2024, made in Warren, MI, with the first vin digit of 1.

I ordered one from MoparParts Giant, and it's currently in-route via FedEx.

So, anyone used AlphaOBD to program the vin into an EPS?

I noticed that it now has the option to do so, under Ram1500 ∆ 2013+ Power net ∆ Steering ∆ Reset Vin Values?

Last edited:

pros1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2013
Engine
V6/Hemi
Did you get the rack installed? Any issues?

My 2013 eps rack is currently dying. It makes a loud whining/grinding sound when turning, and appears to be leaking. It looks like the rubber boots have been torn for awhile, and I probably got some snow and water into it this winter.

The local dealership says the part is "discontinued", is a 2013 only part, and completely unavailable. They said that no other year would fit.
They suggested I buy another truck, and that they'd give me a great deal! :happy175:

Anyway, I was able to determine via Tasca Parts and Chrysler of McKinney's online parts stores that the newest version of this rack/pinion is pn# 68628858AA, and "should" fit all 1500 trucks from 2013, up to 18, including Ram Classics up to 2024, made in Warren, MI, with the first vin digit of 1.

I ordered one from MoparParts Giant, and it's currently in-route via FedEx.

So, anyone used AlphaOBD to program the vin into an EPS?

I noticed that it now has the option to do so, under Ram1500 ∆ 2013+ Power net ∆ Steering ∆ Reset Vin Values?

I got the rack installed just fine, everything went smooth, I did notice some minor difference's like the bushings were a little different but everything bolted up just fine. I do still have a power steering message on my dash but everything works good. I do have AlphaOBD too so maybe ill check that later and see if I can reset it. I haven't really been driving it because I had to order new wheel hubs, I do not recommend Mevotech TTX hubs have had them fail twice in a few months. Went with SKF on the new ones.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I got the rack installed just fine, everything went smooth, I did notice some minor difference's like the bushings were a little different but everything bolted up just fine. I do still have a power steering message on my dash but everything works good. I do have AlphaOBD too so maybe ill check that later and see if I can reset it. I haven't really been driving it because I had to order new wheel hubs, I do not recommend Mevotech TTX hubs have had them fail twice in a few months. Went with SKF on the new ones.

I'm glad to hear it works.

Let me know if AlphaOBD works for programming the VIN. I'm hoping to avoid the Dealership.

My new rack is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'll probably try and get it installed Friday.

I got my old one out, and disassembled it to see what failed. The boot was ripped, and it clearly has some corrosion inside the r/h side from water intrusion. The ballnut carrier bearings were toast and the motors rotor bearings were also shot.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I got my new steering gear installed this morning.

I can confirm that part# 68628858AA, fit into my 2013 with no issues whatsoever. (So far, about a half dozen miles on it).

No codes, no errors.

No programming seems to be required, though I may go play with AlphaOBD anyway, just to see if there are any internal errors that just aren't setting a code.

It steers smooth and quiet again.

Edit to add:

It had the following error:
Screenshot_20240329-074321.png

I did the left/right lock to lock thing 3 times to relearn the steering angle sensor, and the error went away. So far so good.

Last edited:

pros1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2013
Engine
V6/Hemi
I have that same error and can’t seem to get it to go away, tried the lock to lock thing multiple times tried that reset vin value with no luck also

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the procedure for the lock to lock relearn? I have heard a few different ways, engine on, engine off, cycle switch key, ect...

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What is the procedure for the lock to lock relearn? I have heard a few different ways, engine on, engine off, cycle switch key, ect...

I've read both ways too. Being uncertain, I did it both ways, then cleared the code and drove it around the block a few times.

The 2nd time I did it with the engine started, left all the way first, then right, repeat two more times then shut off the engine. Then I cleared the code, and it hasn't come back on.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This may or may not apply, but I may have just been lucky and not needed to program. This could have nothing whatsoever to do with the lock to lock stearing angle sensor.

I found this video of a dealer using a Witech2 system to resolve C2219-00, after and electric power brake replacment. He had to use the Witech dealer system to do a "proxi alignment".

Starting at the 4 minute mark.

If this is the case, you will have to have a dealer do this for you.

pros1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2013
Engine
V6/Hemi
I don’t know what did it exactly but I removed my tune back to stock ecu, put the truck on jacks, removed the tie rods so they weren’t connected, used alfaobd in the bcm to reset ECU then did the lock to lock with the truck running, cleared codes, cycled key and the power steering light is gone now