Purchased a 2013 Laramie Longhorn. Unsure whether to keep it. Please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HEMIHEMIHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also new to this forum, and kind of torn about what you should do. I've owned many many vehicles over the years, and If I'm concerned about an issue right after buying a used car, that concern never goes away until I either completely fix it or get rid of the vehicle... In the end, how badly do you like this specific truck?

Pretty much sums it up... problem was that I totally fell in love with this particular truck. I wanted a RAM 1500 4x4, Laramie Longhorn, canyon brown interior, black/white gold exterior, 3.92 gear ratio, <40k miles... this is her... and they've proven to be surprisingly difficult to find... only thing she doesn't have is the 8-speed. I have trouble getting 10mpg combined but it is what it is. Anyway, when my mechanic ran through all the issues (there's been more... first day I couldn't release the emergency brake so she's already been back for rotor, pads and whatever else once).. my heart sank and I didn't want to make a wrong decision and keep her simply because I was already in love with this truck. In the meantime I've been back and forth on the topic based on everybody's repsonses, putting things in perspective a bit better. I'll let it depend on their willingness to fix matters. Apparently it takes 2 full days to check this thing out and decide on a proposal for me; supposedly I'll hear tomorrow morning yet not a good start

If I keep her surely it'll bother me until it's fixed or in the case of the rust, sufficiently under control so I have some searching to do on this forum about the best course of action. I'll have to shift my priorities from a mufflex and vararam to undercoating but I could live with that. Based on the responses I'm willing to leave the control arm and steering knuckle in place provided all that leaks or is worn/dried such as coolant hoses/shocks/axle boots are replaced... the truck does come with a warrantee 5-year/ 75k miles how useful that is going to be I don't know but it'll surely not cover rusty brake lines and coolant hoses...

Thank you to everybody again... I'll surely post what decision I make tomorrow!

Attachments

• WP_20161127_14_42_30_Rich.jpg
    WP_20161127_14_42_30_Rich.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1279.jpg
    1279.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 63

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It doesn't have the 8 speed. Now I know I would take it back. Lol

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you buy it at carmax? We got screwed around on my wife's flex with them.

OP
OP
H

HEMIHEMIHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you buy it at carmax? We got screwed around on my wife's flex with them.

Sure did... sure has been a rough ride; if it wasn't for the 5-day no hassle return... service manager doesn't even want to give me his email address nor put anything he states in writing. There's absolutely no way this car was checked on 125 points... I told him I'd be surprised if it was checked on 25 points... I spent the first day replacing broken bulbs, then lying under the car getting me eBrake to release... cleaned the headliner myself as well as fixed the wear spots in the leather I wasn't told about. When I had the car transferred and was asking for validation of cosmetic condition all I got was "Sir, this is CarMax, we have a reputation to uphold. we don't sell damaged cars "... when I finally got her it was all like "Sir, it's a used car"...sorry... </rant>

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Sure did... sure has been a rough ride; if it wasn't for the 5-day no hassle return... service manager doesn't even want to give me his email address nor put anything he states in writing. There's absolutely no way this car was checked on 125 points... I told him I'd be surprised if it was checked on 25 points... I spent the first day replacing broken bulbs, then lying under the car getting me eBrake to release... cleaned the headliner myself as well as fixed the wear spots in the leather I wasn't told about. When I had the car transferred and was asking for validation of cosmetic condition all I got was "Sir, this is CarMax, we have a reputation to uphold. we don't sell damaged cars "... when I finally got her it was all like "Sir, it's a used car"...sorry... </rant>

Yeah, those bazillion point check lists most times are a joke. If it shines on the lot and has curb appeal, it gets pencil whipped and thrown out on the lot.

I shopped a bunch of "certified pre owned" vehicle on various lots over the years and they all had that multi point check list pencil whipped. Buying anything short of new, you are getting a lie most times as to what the condition truly is.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just had a debate with a buddy about Carmax - I think they are doomed to fail. The used car market is artificially good for sellers right now because of the lack of new cars sold a few years ago during the rough economy. Basically, few new cars 3 years ago = few 3 year old used cars. Those HUGE showrooms they are building all over are expensive. Dimly lit trailers with ****** salesmen in crappy parts of town are cheaper and will win in the end IMO.

As for the OP - like others have said, if you're already worried and can bail out do it.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nothing you showed me would concern me those are all very minor. You will want Bilstein shocks and struts anyway so no worries. The mark on the control arm seems common and just a ding. The rust is common too in the north. I am in Minneapolis area and it is very hard on the underside and bottom quarter panels in the salty winter mess.

What did scare me is that they supposedly do checks and didn't see the shock leaking etc. Sounds like the scary part is who you bought it from not the truck itself.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I just had a debate with a buddy about Carmax - I think they are doomed to fail. The used car market is artificially good for sellers right now because of the lack of new cars sold a few years ago during the rough economy. Basically, few new cars 3 years ago = few 3 year old used cars. Those HUGE showrooms they are building all over are expensive. Dimly lit trailers with ****** salesmen in crappy parts of town are cheaper and will win in the end IMO.

As for the OP - like others have said, if you're already worried and can bail out do it.

I would argue otherwise. Carmax has one of the highest profit margins in the car business. You would be surprised how many people will pay more for even a used car to have a haggle free pricing experience and that is where they shine.

In addition, they are one of the few car places that will give you a "buy" pricing offer guarantee on your vehicle without having to sell you one. While they do low ball, it is another convenience for some to be able to unload a late model vehicle without having to buy another. I have know a few people who have used this to get out from under a vehicle loan rather than deal with the private sale and business of new buyers trying to secure financing or loan assumption.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always buy new and keep the vehicle a long time if I like it.....You pay for getting exactly what you want re color/options but to me it is worth it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would argue otherwise. Carmax has one of the highest profit margins in the car business. You would be surprised how many people will pay more for even a used car to have a haggle free pricing experience and that is where they shine.

In addition, they are one of the few car places that will give you a "buy" pricing offer guarantee on your vehicle without having to sell you one. While they do low ball, it is another convenience for some to be able to unload a late model vehicle without having to buy another. I have know a few people who have used this to get out from under a vehicle loan rather than deal with the private sale and business of new buyers trying to secure financing or loan assumption.

I guess I'm just thinking if this business model works why hasn't it been done before? From their end it's a HUGE gamble with all the advertising, big buildings and glitz. A similar idea of an age old need that basically failed was the big box stores offering contractors to install all the crap they sell. 5-10 years ago Home Depot and Lowes were really pushing their "In-Home Services". They still push it on some simple things like carpet but have really backed off the larger more complex projects (huge remodels involving many trades, for example) The problem is any contractor willing to work for 30% less than market value (Home Depot's cut) is either totally incompetent, an ex-con or likely both.

I don't know much about the car business but I work in housing/contracting and can tell you the horror stories of these In-Home Service contractors from the big box stores are the norm. And I'm not just basing this off of 1 or 2 experiences. I've literally talked to over a 100 people with direct experience and at least 75% are extremely unhappy. I think some CEO sitting in his office sees all this profit and wants a piece but there's more to the management than they account for. Getting toothless contractors out of bed in the morning can be hard :)

As the saying goes only time will tell with Carmax. The business model has interested me from the start and I just don't see how it can work. But, I'm sure there are people much smarter and richer than me at the top so I well may be wrong.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm from the Philly area and I had a 2012 ram quad cab 4x4 and I driven that thing in some deep snow last 2 years I had it, and the underside still looks new...I think that looks bad, and I would really see what options you have to return it for something else. My 2012 had roughly around the same miles, and there wasn't a spot of rust or anything as orange as you have there.

I did trade it in for a charger, just because I wanted a car instead. Never had one issue with it, and I was very pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm from the Philly area and I had a 2012 ram quad cab 4x4 and I driven that thing in some deep snow last 2 years I had it, and the underside still looks new...I think that looks bad, and I would really see what options you have to return it for something else. My 2012 had roughly around the same miles, and there wasn't a spot of rust or anything as orange as you have there.

I did trade it in for a charger, just because I wanted a car instead. Never had one issue with it, and I was very pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Me and you must of had the only Rams that didn't rust like this truck. To me it's not normal. But it is a nice looking truck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tbird113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just bought a 2011 in July with 40k that's been in this area since new. The underside has hardly any rust on it. I would return it just for the piece of mind.

It might have everything your looking for, but I'm sure you would learn to hate it real quick if it starts having problems.

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From a fellow Floridian whom now lives in Tx. and is allergic to rust, I'd suggest to get rid of that thing if you can. No sense dealing with rust when you absolutely do not have to. Be patient and keep looking.

It's a shame though, she's a nice a truck.

Edit: Try finding an 8 speed equipped truck.

OP
OP
H

HEMIHEMIHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well; just got off the phone with them... Everything seems to fall within their standards; the only thing they acknowledge as an item to be addressed is the leaking shock; I let it go. Told them I was returning it. Relieved and sad. Most importantly because there just seems to be a large gap between what I find acceptable and what they find acceptable and I have a five year warrantee with them... I foresee a lot of frustration and discussion on that front...

Waiting for the paperwork to be prepared and my check... Everybody; thank you so much for your replies; I'm really impressed with this community and can't wait to find my next truck and barrage you all with all my questions...! lol

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many deals to be had right now with on-the-lot 2016's. I got mine almost $12k under msrp, out the door. Good luck brotha.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You might want to look for a 16. I got 14k off of mine.

RamNoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got 12k off mine... new is deff. The way to go. First new vehicle i have ever bought was my 16 ram. I got tired of buying ever elses used junk to have to fix. Buying new is a guaranteed way of knowing how the vehicle will be taken care of.

OP
OP
H

HEMIHEMIHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got back a couple of hours ago and already searching for a new truck. I'll definitely check out 2016s. Returning the truck only took 15 minutes for five signatures; totally hassle free; the check takes a month but I'm OK with that. I guess that's the upside of this organization; so all I lost in the end was $549 in transportation costs.