Ram 1500 5.7 to 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Well, just dreamin' for now. lol Waiting for the 6.4 to be harnessed to an 8 speed. Would be "Awsome".

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Texan you are always coming in here with "everyone is just bashing other engines" no one here is "bashing" the 6.7. The diesel will outpull the 6.4 in high elevations and on grades... Oh my word, did I just bash my own engine! Get out of here.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Texan you are always coming in here with "everyone is just bashing other engines" no one here is "bashing" the 6.7. The diesel will outpull the 6.4 in high elevations and on grades... Oh my word, did I just bash my own engine! Get out of here.

Actually I was correcting false information that Skrap posted which I did not understand why he post it in the first place since it was not even on topic. Oh waite, he gets a pass from you because........

I guess he is allowed to post false information just as long as it puts the 6.4L in a positive light. Hmm, would you act the same way if someone post false information that painted the 6.4L in a negative way? Would you "like" that post too or would you correct it?

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what he posted wasn't false. diesels cost more to own. You can't argue they don't. I have a lifetime warranty on my gas truck that cost me the equivalent of 3 of the fuel injectors on you're diesel. The 5.7 and 6.4 are cheaper to maintain. The O.P already said if he upgrades he is getting a diesel. Witch all of us say right on!! There are negative things about the gas motors, and the diesels. nothing is perfect.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
what he posted wasn't false. diesels cost more to own. You can't argue they don't. I have a lifetime warranty on my gas truck that cost me the equivalent of 3 of the fuel injectors on you're diesel. The 5.7 and 6.4 are cheaper to maintain. The O.P already said if he upgrades he is getting a diesel. Witch all of us say right on!! There are negative things about the gas motors, and the diesels. nothing is perfect.

Yes, it was false.

the PM and oil service will not cost nearly as much

This is false. Like I said before, due to the special oil the the 6.4L requires and the fact the you have to change that oil about twice as much, the PM and oil change are about the same. How much is your oil change that you have to do every 8,000 miles? My oil change costs me about $100 every 15,000 miles IF I let the dealer do it.

repairs on the 6.4 compared to the diesel will be much less

This is also false when you calculate repairs over time . The diesel engine parts do cost more, but they last longer. Yeah, that injector costs more, but it will last longer than even most gaser engines so you would need to buy a new engine before that injector goes out. Our farm truck with about 330k miles finally needed two injectors replaced(we did all six at $220 per injector since the engine was torn down) and that is with a first year 6.0L Powerstroke of all things that was notorious for having bad injectors. I have seen Cummins engines with original injectors with 400,000 miles on the truck.

The diesel engine itself will last longer than a gasoline equivalent and there is no denying that which is why they have garnish a higher resale or trade in on them. Because buyers know that 300,000 miles on a diesel is nothing while you couldn't give away a 300,000 gaser, especially a truck that was used for towing. Yeah it cost you more, but you will get more back when you get rid of it in comparison. Especially the higher the miles are on the trucks.

Although I do find it funny in you jumping into this when it was YOU who complained at me about going off topic in that last thread. Well Mr Skrap there went off topic and I didn't see you say anything to him. Oh wait that is right, he drives a 6.4L so he gets a pass.

Last edited:

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it's official boys! All 6.4L owners can do whatever and say whatever the hell we want....6.7L owners, well sorry but you're SOL.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my, albeit limited, experience; the actual cummins motor (or any light duty diesel) will last a very long time if properly maintained and used. It's everything around it and supplying it that breaks down. The extra weight on the front is a factor too. I know my father replaced his injector pump and fuel pump on his 24v, 2 torque convertors, and a complete trans rebuild. I think he had about 160k. My 7.3 PS I replaced injectors at $380 ea at about 150k, broken front leaf, $1400 clutch and pretty much well worn ex farm truck. Father in law had to replace injectors on his early duramax at 130k. The tech was amazed he made it past 100k. The exception is my buddy who upgraded his 6.0 with studs and what not just to have a piston eat itself.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my oil changes cost me 100$ I do them once a year. I can't believe you got that many miles out of a 6.0 power stroke.. gratz you are one of the few. how many miles do you drive a year? if it is 10k or more.. guess what you spend more on maintanece than I do. You're argument is invalid.

What drittal said... it has the same **** hooked up to it as our gas motors. same colant hoses.. Same break lines. It has that ****** little egr valve that puts that diesel exhaust right back into the intake. So yes ur block my last longer, but most people realistically don't keep a vehicle more than 10 years. I plan to keep mine till my kids can drive, then they get to drive it.
The Internet has hurt my feelings I am gonna go cry myself to sleep

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
my oil changes cost me 100$ I do them once a year. I can't believe you got that many miles out of a 6.0 power stroke.. gratz you are one of the few. I think it is time I go cry my self to sleep.

And how many miles is in that "once a year"?

but most people realistically don't keep a vehicle more than 10 years.

Actually this is false. As of the latest Polk data, the average truck on the road is 11.4 years old.

http://press.ihs.com/press-release/...ins-steady-114-years-according-ihs-automotive

It has that ****** little egr valve that puts that diesel exhaust right back into the intake.

The 6.4L has an EGR system too.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
.. are u seriously trying to compar gas exhaust to diesel.....about 8k miles a year. My exhaust fumes are a lot less damaging on a motor than straight diesel exhaust.. Maybe I made a bad choice.. maybe I should of bought a diesel. Texan you wealth of knowledge you!! I'll list my stats u tell me what I should buy.
I drive 8k miles a year on my personal truck, well actually the wife drives 6k I drive 2k.
when ever we go some where like maybe a 30 mile round trip it is gonna idle for at least 2 hours.
I will tow something like twice a year but in like 5 years that will go up to 10 times a year. I live in a little Podunk town.. civilization is 3 hours north or 3 hours south. I have to have a mega cab. I wold love a fully loaded out big horn. 20"s/nav/ remote start. heated seats.. the works. From what I have told u, what should I get? gas or diesel? and what should I expect to pay?

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Yes, it was false.

This is false. Like I said before, due to the special oil the the 6.4L requires and the fact the you have to change that oil about twice as much, the PM and oil change are about the same. How much is your oil change that you have to do every 8,000 miles? My oil change costs me about $100 every 15,000 miles IF I let the dealer do it.

This is also false when you calculate repairs over time . The diesel engine parts do cost more, but they last longer. Yeah, that injector costs more, but it will last longer than even most gaser engines so you would need to buy a new engine before that injector goes out. Our farm truck with about 330k miles finally needed two injectors replaced(we did all six at $220 per injector since the engine was torn down) and that is with a first year 6.0L Powerstroke of all things that was notorious for having bad injectors. I have seen Cummins engines with original injectors with 400,000 miles on the truck.

The diesel engine itself will last longer than a gasoline equivalent and there is no denying that which is why they have garnish a higher resale or trade in on them. Because buyers know that 300,000 miles on a diesel is nothing while you couldn't give away a 300,000 gaser, especially a truck that was used for towing. Yeah it cost you more, but you will get more back when you get rid of it in comparison. Especially the higher the miles are on the trucks.

Although I do find it funny in you jumping into this when it was YOU who complained at me about going off topic in that last thread. Well Mr Skrap there went off topic and I didn't see you say anything to him. Oh wait that is right, he drives a 6.4L so he gets a pass.

Meh. Sounds like your a bit butthurt or have sand in you ***. I'm not an expert on anything but my profession and that is not autos/trucks but I still stand by comments. You can dribble on about the longevity of the diesel compared to the gasser. That is not what I was discussing or disputing. Feel free to drive your diesel for 300k miles. Most diesel owners i know don't and will not keep their trucks for that many miles nor do they really have the need to have the diesel other than they had the expendable cash and thought it was cool. Maybe you do have the need for a diesel but most I know don't. I would have to own a truck for 20 years to put that many miles on it. No thanks to that.

And, please enlighten me on how I went off topic. I gave my opinion on what I would recommend if I was in the OP situation. 'Texan, do you really feel he needs the diesel for his towing needs? I don't see how he could justify it. Also, are most Cummings owners able to work on their diesel and replace injectors, do general PM service, replace other worn or broken internals and the engines accessories like your self? I'd say the vast majority will,pay to have it done and it's not cheap no matter how you slice it.

With all this being said, do you know what I will have until the day I sell my truck? That would be a lifetime warranty. What will you have with your diesel in, what, 5 years or 70k miles? Nothing but "hope and prayer" that your diesel doesn't take a **** and you don't have to dig into your wallet for repairs.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
.. are u seriously trying to compare gas exhaust to diesel.....

I didn't compare them. I just said the 6.4L has an EGR system too that recirculates exhaust gases.

about 8k miles a year.

So you said what Skrap said was the true. He said that PM and oil changes on the 6.4L are a lot less than a 6.7L. I pay $100 every 15,000 miles and you pay $100 every 8,000. Which is less?

My exhaust fumes are a lot less damaging on a motor than straight diesel exhaust

And due to modern SCR/DEF systems, the current diesels do not require the EGR to operate nearly as much or under extreme conditions.

Maybe I made a bad choice.. maybe I should of bought a diesel. Texan you wealth of knowledge you!! I'll list my stats u tell me what I should buy.

I never said that and actually said the opposite in a post in this very thread here.

Research post-purchase rationalization and choice-supportive bias. Then come back to this thread and see where it is happening. I am not saying anyone made a bad decision or that they feel like they did. I am just saying they feel the need to confirm or justify their decision which is just human nature to do so. Most people do it without even realizing it. The very fact that one feels the need to point out the negatives of something else that they did not choose proves that they have post-purchase rationalization. If they didn't feel that way then they would not feel the need to say anything at all.

I am also not going to tell you what engine is best for you. Only you can do that just like only i can do that for me. Although I don't need to say anything about the engine I didn't choose to make me feel better about my choice like some do here.

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
And how many miles is in that "once a year"?

Actually this is false. As of the latest Polk data, the average truck on the road is 11.4 years old.

Average Age of Vehicles on the Road Remains Steady at 11.4 years, According to IHS Automotive | IHS Online Pressroom

The 6.4L has an EGR system too.

Nice how you blurred the lines there. The article states that the average age of vehicles on the road is 11.4 years. Yea, OK. Not really sure how that is relevant to the conversation. The better questions is what is the average age a person will keep a vehicle from the time they bought it new? It sure as hell isn't 11.4 years. I have no hard data but I would guess that most vehicles that are still on the road at the 11.4 year mark are being driven by the second or third owner. People that are the second and third owners should not expect the same reliability as if they bought new.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Meh. Sounds like your a bit butthurt or have sand in you ***.

OOHH! scary words.....

I'm not an expert on anything but my profession and that is not autos/trucks but I still stand by comments.

Well my profession includes working at Cummins, at two different Class 7 & 8 truck manufacturers, and now a dealership group for class 7 & 8 trucks and I still say your words are incorrect.

And, please enlighten me on how I went off topic. I gave my opinion on what I would recommend if I was in the OP situation.

The topic was how it is going from a 1500 to a 2500 and NOT "why I chose the 6.4L over the 6.7L by saying false statements".

'Texan, do you really feel he needs the diesel for his towing needs? I don't see how he could justify it.

And I doubt you will because they are his needs/wants and he doesn't have to justify them to anybody. He also should not feel the need to like some here do.

Also, are most Cummings owners able to work on their diesel and replace injectors, do general PM service, replace other worn or broken internals and the engines accessories like your self? I'd say the vast majority will,pay to have it done and it's not cheap no matter how you slice it.

Are you going to work on the internals of your 6.4L? What is your point here?

With all this being said, do you know what I will have until the day I sell my truck? That would be a lifetime warranty. What will you have with your diesel in, what, 5 years or 70k miles? Nothing but "hope and prayer" that your diesel doesn't take a **** and you don't have to dig into your wallet for repairs.

And I don't care. As I said many times in this forum before "I didn't buy my engine to save money on fuel or any other costs. I bought it for the extra pulling power and capability over the other engines offered". If this engines breaks then I fix it which I am more then capable of doing given my profession. My wallet is just fine and I can make more if needed which again i am more then capable of doing.

Although at 70K miles I will still have another 30k miles left of warranty. After 100K, then I have another 100K in extended.

Last edited:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lets not forget we're all grown adults here and people have various opinions. Also remember that we do not sit here and run other people's choices on what package or motor they have chosen. And let's no one be the guy that wants to state, "This truck or this motor is the only one worth buying." We've had a few of those in the past and are not well received.

Simple as this, they build so many variations of these trucks for a good reason. Because some people have other needs and some just would rather drive a truck.

So agree to disagree and follow the above guidelines.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I thought the topic was how was it going from 1500 to 2500. You can sum it up with harsher ride and more capability. Your choice which motor to put in your 2500 based on your needs/ driving style and maintenance budget.

I chose a gas powered 2500 for two reasons, higher payload (which was the reason for needing to step up) and the bonus was increased towing (which I don't require at the moment). I drive in stop and go traffic daily all day so the diesel was not really the best choice for those conditions. I came from a 13 1500 ram so I can compare. I miss the 1500 in every aspect except when I am hauling 3k in the bed....

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I had a similar reason for stepping up as well. I have a 26' boat on a venture tandem axle trailer, typical weight when towed about 8000# well below my previous 2010 F150 proclaimed towing capacity of 10,900#. While she handled the weight no problem the truck would drop about a foot when I cranked the tow leg up. The ford had a 5.4 with 353 gears.

I traded it for a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.4L with 373 gears, wish I had the 410 gears. I now tow the boat and the suspension barely moves and it pulls the boat like it is not even there.

Pros for me were:
Payload is now in excess of 4000#
Towing is now @ 12500# wish I had 410 would be 16500#
Truck literally seems unbreakable for me anyway, carried 2 1 ton pallets of wood pellets in one shot and the truck did not even squat.

Cons
Ride quality empty especially on poor road is tough, especially with all the frost heaves we had this past winter. Fuel mileage is not as good as I had with the ford but pretty close 14/18. The dually wheels are not for everybody, can be a pita to park, go through tight drive thrus etc.
Depending on your state and in my case I had to register it straight commercial, much more expensive, cannot drive it legally on certain roads and parkways along with having to renew every year.

Personally I Could never go back to a 1500, or a 2500 had a K2500 chevy, but that is me. If you do get the 6.4 in either the 2500 or 3500 get the 410s the mileage penalty will be minimal, heck the milage sucks anyway.

Just my 2 cents

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I thought the topic was how was it going from 1500 to 2500. You can sum it up with harsher ride and more capability. Your choice which motor to put in your 2500 based on your needs/ driving style and maintenance budget.

I chose a gas powered 2500 for two reasons, higher payload (which was the reason for needing to step up) and the bonus was increased towing (which I don't require at the moment). I drive in stop and go traffic daily all day so the diesel was not really the best choice for those conditions. I came from a 13 1500 ram so I can compare. I miss the 1500 in every aspect except when I am hauling 3k in the bed....

Yes, the topic is how it is like going from a 1500 to a 2500 and NOT "why I chose the engine I did in my HD truck". Not once did the OP ask why people chose the engines they did so the "why I chose the X.XL engine over the Y.YL engine" posts are off topic. Especially the false ones.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I had a similar reason for stepping up as well. I have a 26' boat on a venture tandem axle trailer, typical weight when towed about 8000# well below my previous 2010 F150 proclaimed towing capacity of 10,900#. While she handled the weight no problem the truck would drop about a foot when I cranked the tow leg up. The ford had a 5.4 with 353 gears.

I traded it for a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.4L with 373 gears, wish I had the 410 gears. I now tow the boat and the suspension barely moves and it pulls the boat like it is not even there.

Pros for me were:
Payload is now in excess of 4000#
Towing is now @ 12500# wish I had 410 would be 16500#
Truck literally seems unbreakable for me anyway, carried 2 1 ton pallets of wood pellets in one shot and the truck did not even squat.

Cons
Ride quality empty especially on poor road is tough, especially with all the frost heaves we had this past winter. Fuel mileage is not as good as I had with the ford but pretty close 14/18. The dually wheels are not for everybody, can be a pita to park, go through tight drive thrus etc.
Depending on your state and in my case I had to register it straight commercial, much more expensive, cannot drive it legally on certain roads and parkways along with having to renew every year.

Personally I Could never go back to a 1500, or a 2500 had a K2500 chevy, but that is me. If you do get the 6.4 in either the 2500 or 3500 get the 410s the mileage penalty will be minimal, heck the milage sucks anyway.

Just my 2 cents

Perfect on topic post.

Although I have to ask. Did you use a weight distribution hitch on that F150 you had? If I recall correctly towing anything over 5,000 lbs in just about any half ton requires a WDH.