Ram 1500 5.7 to 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
No I did not use one probably should have. On the ram I have a class V hitch and thruck handles the tongue weight no problem.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Yes, the topic is how it is like going from a 1500 to a 2500 and NOT "why I chose the engine I did in my HD truck". Not once did the OP ask why people chose the engines they did so the "why I chose the X.XL engine over the Y.YL engine" posts are off topic. Especially the false ones.

Of course he didn't directly ask which engine choice. That doesn't mean he wasn't asking for opinions.

Actually, you really need to go back and reread the OP first post. In particular, you need to read his third paragraph, carefully. He is in fact asking, or at a minimum thinking out loud, about the need for a 2500 6.4 and then later on, in the same paragraph, is talking about if he may have a need for the 6.7 diesel. Yes, he did have several question in his last paragraphs as well but to say there is no mention/question of engine types and the rest of us are off topic is just plain wrong. Focus on the entire post, not just you want to hear (read). Those chiming in about engine choice are just as legit as the 1500 -2500 comments.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Of course he didn't directly ask which engine choice. That doesn't mean he wasn't asking for opinions.

Nope, not once did he ask for opinion between the 6.7L and 6.4L. I went back and reread it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
No I did not use one probably should have. On the ram I have a class V hitch and thruck handles the tongue weight no problem.

That is another plus about moving up to a 2500 truck from a 1500. No more weight distribution hitches for trailers with less than 1,200 lb tongue weights.

Last edited:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you have no longer to say to the OP, move on.

markyfly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've read, the people having issues with newer cummins trucks are those who idle them alot and city drive a lot.

Apparently the issue is that they need more heat to burn off the soot in the filters. Whats happening is that they clog up and have to regen a lot more. Im not sure how often these trucks need to regen but I have about 4k miles and its only a bit less than a quarter of the DEF tank. So thats not bad. Im seeing 14mpg pure city and 18MPG all highway 70-75mph. Mixed i see about 15mpg with some mild towing.

DEF and regeneration have nothing to do with each other.

My diesel jeep apparently regens every 750 miles. Most highway trucks regen about once a day too

OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, been awhile but figured I would update everyone on my new truck, and thank everyone for the opinions and information.

Two weeks ago I got 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 cc tradesman with 3.73 gears. Dealer gave me 36k for my 2014 1500 limited with 30k miles. Got the 2500 for 34k, think I did alright. I recently moved backed to Texas and got my truck in New Braunfels, good to be back home in Texas.....

Take my opinion for what its worth.....
When I drove the new truck home on i35 with less than 30 miles on it I felt like I made a mistake, the truck couldn't hold 6th gear driving on almost flat i35 between NB and San Antonio. So I decided to break it in like I break in motorcycle's by doing 10 WOT runs from a rolling start to 70-80 mph. Drove it to padre island the next day with cruise set on 72 and the truck felt like it performed better, it held 6th gear well and downshifted just a few times going uphill into a full value 18 mph wind.

I have not pulled anything yet with this truck as I sold my 18ft covered trailer recently. I am looking at 25'-30' toy haulers and will update with my towing experience in the future.

I'm not going to ******** myself or you all, I do wish I had the 6.7 CTD. But being as I just bought a house and plan on buying a few hundred acres in SW Texas I had to make a choice on what I need versus what I want.

Overall I think the truck is alright and will pull better than my 1500. Should be a good do all and get dirty ride.
Last note- going from a limited to a tradesman I would say less is more. It's a relief to be back driving something that feels like a truck, can be scratched and dirty without feeling like the world has ended<- in jest of course

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Hey, been awhile but figured I would update everyone on my new truck, and thank everyone for the opinions and information.

Two weeks ago I got 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 cc tradesman with 3.73 gears. Dealer gave me 36k for my 2014 1500 limited with 30k miles. Got the 2500 for 34k, think I did alright. I recently moved backed to Texas and got my truck in New Braunfels, good to be back home in Texas.....

Take my opinion for what its worth.....
When I drove the new truck home on i35 with less than 30 miles on it I felt like I made a mistake, the truck couldn't hold 6th gear driving on almost flat i35 between NB and San Antonio. So I decided to break it in like I break in motorcycle's by doing 10 WOT runs from a rolling start to 70-80 mph. Drove it to padre island the next day with cruise set on 72 and the truck felt like it performed better, it held 6th gear well and downshifted just a few times going uphill into a full value 18 mph wind.

I have not pulled anything yet with this truck as I sold my 18ft covered trailer recently. I am looking at 25'-30' toy haulers and will update with my towing experience in the future.

I'm not going to ******** myself or you all, I do wish I had the 6.7 CTD. But being as I just bought a house and plan on buying a few hundred acres in SW Texas I had to make a choice on what I need versus what I want.

Overall I think the truck is alright and will pull better than my 1500. Should be a good do all and get dirty ride.
Last note- going from a limited to a tradesman I would say less is more. It's a relief to be back driving something that feels like a truck, can be scratched and dirty without feeling like the world has ended<- in jest of course

The "adaptive learning" of transmission shifting can take a few thousand miles to settle in. Mine was clunky for about 5K miles and then settled in nice.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Congrats on the purchase. I guess those new tranny's need some "learning time" to get everything ironed out.

The Tradesman can have some good features in it if you get the right package. Mine has the PW, PL, backup camera, parking sensors, and 4x4 dial (good for my wife). I really do like the 6.4, however I haven't really had a chance to work it yet.

Good luck. And where are the pics?

OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tradesman isn't bad at all. I got PW/L, chrome package, 5.0 uconnect, tow hooks and skid plate, back up sensors camera, and a few other things.

I agree on the transmission learning, it does improve. Only picture I got.....
The ram 2500 4x4 is the best looking HD truck on the market, "to me"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 55

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congrats. I found the truck ran better (even when stock) with higher octane. Initially I just ran regular but started running plus after noticing a difference.

hutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The tradesman isn't bad at all. I got PW/L, chrome package, 5.0 uconnect, tow hooks and skid plate, back up sensors camera, and a few other things.

I agree on the transmission learning, it does improve. Only picture I got.....
The ram 2500 4x4 is the best looking HD truck on the market, "to me"

Good looking truck! I know the Tradesman is not for everyone, but I certainly like mine and I've had 3 since 2012. It took about 5000 miles before my last 6.4 felt "broken in." The mileage increased steadily until it stayed in the high 13 range.

I hope this one works out for you.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, I have the same engine and gears and the 6th gear thing is kind of nuts. I think at 75 MPH the RPMs are around 1800 in 6th. I came from a diesel and am reasonably happy with the truck. The MPG is great for what it is. Really, it's pretty close to what I was getting in my old Duramax for my mix of city/hwy driving (non-towing). It's probably 1-2 less with summer fuel - winter fuel probably more like 2-3. Stop and go driving REALLY kills the MPGs. Being as you mention hundreds of acres I'm guessing you're one of those lucky folks who doesn't see a lot of stop and go driving.

:favorites13:

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, I have the same engine and gears and the 6th gear thing is kind of nuts. I think at 75 MPH the RPMs are around 1800 in 6th. I came from a diesel and am reasonably happy with the truck. The MPG is great for what it is. Really, it's pretty close to what I was getting in my old Duramax for my mix of city/hwy driving (non-towing). It's probably 1-2 less with summer fuel - winter fuel probably more like 2-3. Stop and go driving REALLY kills the MPGs. Being as you mention hundreds of acres I'm guessing you're one of those lucky folks who doesn't see a lot of stop and go driving.

:favorites13:

Man I'm in stop and go everyday, from the north side of San Antonio to almost downtown Monday through Friday. Worst traffic I have ever had to deal with. My dash says 15.2 mpg with this commute, haven't hand calculated yet.
The land is my retirement get away, have a few years left to retirement and I'm out of here.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Man I'm in stop and go everyday, from the north side of San Antonio to almost downtown Monday through Friday. Worst traffic I have ever had to deal with. My dash says 15.2 mpg with this commute, haven't hand calculated yet.
The land is my retirement get away, have a few years left to retirement and I'm out of here.

You must be coming down 281 or I-10. That is one reason why I got away from the north side of San Antonio and moved back to my hometown La Vernia area. My commute is more miles, but less time due to a lot less traffic. Being anywhere in north San Antonio on I-10, I-35, or 281 at 8am or 5pm is just a parking lot due to how many people live in those areas. Coming from the south or east on those same highways into San Antonio and there is no traffic in comparison to the north side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You must be coming down 281 or I-10. That is one reason why I got away from the north side of San Antonio and moved back to my hometown La Vernia area. My commute is more miles, but less time due to a lot less traffic. Being anywhere in north San Antonio on I-10, I-35, or 281 at 8am or 5pm is just a parking lot due to how many people live in those areas. Coming from the south or east on those same highways into San Antonio and there is no traffic in comparison to the north side.

Lived in stone oak area for awhile, that place really sucked. Just bought a house in Cibolo, it's a little better especially on the weekends and after work. I don't go into SA unless it's to drive to work.
La Vernia is a good area, when I drove to padre two weeks ago I did ask myself why I didn't consider moving south as the traffic is much better.

OP
OP
O

oceancbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can we be bro's...:banana-mario:

OP, if you had the 8 speed in the 1500 it is a good set up.

I had the eight speed, 5.7 with the 3.92 gears. Was a really good set up, the truck pulled really well. It didn't like wind though, pulling in a crosswind or headwind was aggravating.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Congrats!

RAMRUNNER89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I made a trip from New Orleans to Houston pulling a 8000# travel trailer with my 05 1500 5.7 hemi and it had a rough time as far as pulling but then I made the return trip in a 2014 2500 6.4 company truck the pulling and was a lot better and the fuel mileage I got was about the same as my 05 but as I said pulling was a lot better they only got 10mpg pulling the trailer so if I had to make a lot of long distance drives I would go with the CTD for mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk