RCX 3" bolt-on lift - anyone have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaramieGen4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not looking for a lot more height. Just want to be comfortable running 35" tires on offset wheels. RCX says the 3" kit allows for 33x12.50 tires, but I have seen some guys running 35's with just leveling kits. I was looking at the 4" kit but it's more involved and more expensive and kind of a permanent commitment when you go cutting off factory diff mounting locations. Anyone out there running the 3" RCX kit? If so, do you have pix and specs for the wheels and tires you are running? Thanks

Nandark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the Rough Country 3" Bolt-On kit along with the Premium N3 rear shocks in December for my 2017 Ram 1500 Sport Regular Cab 4x4.

After looking at some of the few pictures I was able to find of RAM's with this kit installed they looked higher in the front than the rear.

I also wanted to change the front struts since I was getting new rear shocks. I asked RC what they would recommend for the front struts. They told me to go with Bilstein 5100 adjustables and not use the front spacers.

So I took their advice and bought their kit and the Bilstein's.

I had the Bilstein's set at 2.8 and will be selling the front spacers on eBay.

Overall I like the look and the ride is smoother than stock. I'm currently running 285/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT's. My truck came with 17" Rebel Wheels installed when I bought it.

Pics are on this thread:

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/alright-guys-bilsteins-post-your-pics.79370/page-103

OP
OP
LaramieGen4

LaramieGen4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
http://www.ramforum.com/threads/3-rough-country-lift-installed.107805/page-3
I installed this kit also and the front does sit up higher than the rear. I think this is because it has the raised ride height from the factory. 2016 sport CC

Does the Sport have a particularly raised ride height? I chatted with RC support yesterday because I recently bought and had installed their 3.5" Silverado kit for my son's 2500HD. The kit was supposed to leave the truck leveled, but it was clearly higher in the back. My son took it to a shop to get some work done and they told him they just leave out the rear blocks when they install that kit on Chevy's. We took the blocks out and sure enough it's now level. Support told me this kit absolutely levels a stock Ram and I was comparing apples and oranges against the Silverado kit. Maybe so, but they didn't bother to try and explain why the Chevy kit, that was supposed to leave it level, left it almost an inch high in the back, and this appears to be fairly common since that other shop always leaves out the rear blocks. I like a leveled look. I can live with an ever so slight rake back to front. But I will not be happy at all with a front to back rake that looks like I'm hauling a load of bricks all the time.

575hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took this from another forum.

Here's a reply from ChryCo engineering on the Raised Ride Height sales code :

It (XZNP) applies to vehicles that require a different mount during the build process when extra clearance is required due to such things as 20" wheels being selected. It is not an option that is selected when ordering the vehicle, rather it is determined to be needed by the options on the vehicle during the build process.

OP
OP
LaramieGen4

LaramieGen4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took this from another forum.

Here's a reply from ChryCo engineering on the Raised Ride Height sales code :

It (XZNP) applies to vehicles that require a different mount during the build process when extra clearance is required due to such things as 20" wheels being selected. It is not an option that is selected when ordering the vehicle, rather it is determined to be needed by the options on the vehicle during the build process.

Well my Laramie certainly came with 20" wheels. But it sure had a lot of rake when I picked it off the lot. What I would consider very typical of stock. They put a spacer kit in the front for me and it did not raise the front higher than i would have expected.

Nandark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's why I decided to go with the Bilstein's vs the spacers and I'm glad I did! My front sits at 39" as the rear at 40".

I probably could have done it cheaper and just add the Bilstein's but thought I would go ahead and replace everything while the front was taken apart. Plus the RC upper control arms are made for the 3" lift.

Also it didn't effect my MPG, I'm still getting 19 MPG on the highway. I've never gotten the 23 MPG advertised for this truck.

Moose328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got a similar question - I'm planning on purchasing the kit, and I have the stock 20x9 wheels. I've talked with the customer service reps and they said I can still run the kit with my stock wheels. I've seen guys running 35" tires, and that's what I would like to run (Rough Country has a 2.5" level kit on their website and the video they show of their shop truck, it's on 35" tires - with just a level!). I just don't know if I need a set of spacers, and if so which ones?? I've seen so many different answers and don't know which one to go with. The shop I've talked to said they'll put 35's on there, but they don't know if it'll rub until it's on there. They said they can do some minor fender/bumper trimming if it does rub.

OP
OP
LaramieGen4

LaramieGen4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a similar question - I'm planning on purchasing the kit, and I have the stock 20x9 wheels. I've talked with the customer service reps and they said I can still run the kit with my stock wheels. I've seen guys running 35" tires, and that's what I would like to run (Rough Country has a 2.5" level kit on their website and the video they show of their shop truck, it's on 35" tires - with just a level!). I just don't know if I need a set of spacers, and if so which ones?? I've seen so many different answers and don't know which one to go with. The shop I've talked to said they'll put 35's on there, but they don't know if it'll rub until it's on there. They said they can do some minor fender/bumper trimming if it does rub.

Moose, the answer is simply - maybe. I have looked at all kinds of combinations on the web and I see some guys running 35's on a level and they say no scrubbing or trimming, and I've seen a couple guys running 35's on the 3" kit and they say minor scrubbing at full lock. However, the majority with the 3" with 35's report no issues. Most have aftermarket wheels with various offsets, but all of the offsets are less than stock. But you could be okay with the stock offset if you stay with 20x9 wheel. I have a level on now and run 285's that are 34" tall on stock wheels and seem to have room for more tire. I'm going to take mine to my shop and get them to help me with the math and fitment since they install lifts, levels, and tires all the time. I want a -18 wheel so that's going to be about 1.5" out more than stock. It's going to be 20x10 instead of 20x9 so have to factor that in too. But I want 35's and that will factor in as well.

The one thing I will point out is with running 35's on 20x10 negative offset wheels, the worst case I can find is minor trimming of some plastic and minor scrubbing at full look. Best case, no issues at all.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
it's all in the offset of the wheels, from what I can tell. I think unless I put a wheel spacer on, 35s will rub at full lock on my stock 20x9 wheels with a +19 offset. If I put on -12 offset, I shouldn't need spacers.

Moose328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Moose, the answer is simply - maybe. I have looked at all kinds of combinations on the web and I see some guys running 35's on a level and they say no scrubbing or trimming, and I've seen a couple guys running 35's on the 3" kit and they say minor scrubbing at full lock. However, the majority with the 3" with 35's report no issues. Most have aftermarket wheels with various offsets, but all of the offsets are less than stock. But you could be okay with the stock offset if you stay with 20x9 wheel. I have a level on now and run 285's that are 34" tall on stock wheels and seem to have room for more tire. I'm going to take mine to my shop and get them to help me with the math and fitment since they install lifts, levels, and tires all the time. I want a -18 wheel so that's going to be about 1.5" out more than stock. It's going to be 20x10 instead of 20x9 so have to factor that in too. But I want 35's and that will factor in as well.

The one thing I will point out is with running 35's on 20x10 negative offset wheels, the worst case I can find is minor trimming of some plastic and minor scrubbing at full look. Best case, no issues at all.

Okay, thanks! I decided to just go with the 4" or 6" RCX lift kit, that way I can for sure run 35s. I do intend to do some light off roading and I'd rather have peace of mind knowing I have the extra space for travel/flex. This thread has been really helpful in making my decision, lots of good info!