ReadyLift 66-1020 vs. Bilstein 5100's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamefish27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my 2012 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 for a year (bought new in Jan. 2013) and it has 18,000 miles on it now. I want to level it (really want to lift it but it wouldn't fit in parking garages at work/ airport). My truck is a daily driver and I usually use 4WD in the sand & snow. I do not do a lot of serious off roading.

I've heard a lot about the Bilstein 5100s on this site and the local performance shop recommended the ReadyLift 66-1020. I know the Bilsteins are adjustable shocks and the ReadyLift is a Strut Extension. What is the difference between the two in regards to keeping factory ride, the wear and tear on joints and drive shaft, etc?

Also, I am a newbie, what does it mean when someone says the ride will be 'stiffer'?

Looking to hear from anyone who has had either on their truck for a period of time:

Anything on the truck break?
Wear down prematurely?
Still have the factory ride?

Any info will be helpful.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Ram1500.jpg
    Ram1500.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 537
  • Ram1500_2.jpg
    Ram1500_2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 206

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can only comment on the 5100's. Maxed out at 2.8" they are stiffer. Most consider the ride a little rough or bouncy. I happen to like it as it felt a little soft to me when it was stock. I think when I put on my 35's it will not be near as noticeable though.

OP
OP
G

Gamefish27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Cruizer!!

BTW, I saw in one of on your posts you were experiencing vibrations after you installed your Bilsteins. Did you ever get that resolved?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No, it's been to cold to really look into. I really wanna look through the front-end before I take it to the dealer. I've heard people had vibrations from bad torque converters, but I want to see if it's my suspension.

My idea is to drop to 2.1" and see if it still happens. Probably not until spring though as it's 10˚F here today, lol. I guess I'm the only one that has it this bad though. Yay me. :)

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
20131012_125808_zps24146258.jpg

This picture was just to show off some plastidipping that I did to the factory chrome wheels but you can see how my 07 sits with Bilstein 5100s. I have it set to 2nd down from the top so it might not be truly level but much better stance then stock.

I love the shocks on my truck, it gives it a truck ride as I do feel the bumps in the road. When I drive over train tracks though, it's smooth as butter and don't feel anything from them. Seems small the bump, the more you feel? I don't know, just know the truck rides better now then with stock.

OP
OP
G

Gamefish27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Sparkky. Nice truck btw! My prior truck was an 06 1500 Thunder Road package in the same color as yours. Didn't have the Hemi though. I don't mind feeling the bumps here and there but still want to maintain the comfort for longer trips on highway. So far, it looks like it is leaning toward the Bilstein's.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks Sparkky. Nice truck btw! My prior truck was an 06 1500 Thunder Road package in the same color as yours. Didn't have the Hemi though. I don't mind feeling the bumps here and there but still want to maintain the comfort for longer trips on highway. So far, it looks like it is leaning toward the Bilstein's.

Thank you, got my fuel door covered since that picture and eventually gonna try plasti on the running boards and see how long that holds up. Plus just got blacked out headlights I want to get installed soon.

The blue is actually a great color but means everyone and their mother remembers your truck, especially around my area, I am really the only one with this color. lol!

Back to this post though, the ride on the highway is smooth, I think my wheels have been thrown off with water freezing on the inside and causing some shaking. Didn't do it before all this snow was on the ground but I have no problems on the highways, very well built shocks.

Don't think you'll be disappointed in them if you go Bilsteins. Will say this though, I put the rear ones on with a friend and had no issues. The front we about stripped the bolts/screws because of age. Took it to a garage and was told later they had to use blow torch, brute force and air tools to get the front torn down.

Just a heads up if you are thinking about doing it yourself.

Keep us updated though with the truck!