Rear window leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's probably the 3rd brake light but the only area the gets wet is in the upper passenger side corner of my back window. Just a small area, maybe twice the size of a .50 cent piece. Just wondering if anyone had it ONLY leak in that one spot and figured out that it wasn't the 3rd brake light? Maybe the back window?

And is a clear sealant the best to fix the 3rd brake light or would be better to replace the gasket?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When mine leaked the only evidence was a small area in the rear *drivers* corner of my headliner. I think it just has more to do with which way the truck is tilted when parked (lets face it, nothing is perfectly level)

My dealer took care of it right away....replaced the brake light (and/or seal, forget if it was just the seal or both), cleaned up the headliner so you couldnt tell it ever happened.

Just for peace of mind, about 8 months later I went ahead and did the DIY mod (here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/leaky-brake-light-fixed.91885/) with a better gasket material. I would NOT use any sealant, because you still need to be able to remove the light to change bulbs, plus sealant to fix an issue is kinda hacky to me :)

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When mine leaked the only evidence was a small area in the rear *drivers* corner of my headliner. I think it just has more to do with which way the truck is tilted when parked (lets face it, nothing is perfectly level)

My dealer took care of it right away....replaced the brake light (and/or seal, forget if it was just the seal or both), cleaned up the headliner so you couldnt tell it ever happened.

Just for peace of mind, about 8 months later I went ahead and did the DIY mod (here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/leaky-brake-light-fixed.91885/) with a better gasket material. I would NOT use any sealant, because you still need to be able to remove the light to change bulbs, plus sealant to fix an issue is kinda hacky to me :)
Thanks man

Jeremiah walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know it's probably the 3rd brake light but the only area the gets wet is in the upper passenger side corner of my back window. Just a small area, maybe twice the size of a .50 cent piece. Just wondering if anyone had it ONLY leak in that one spot and figured out that it wasn't the 3rd brake light? Maybe the back window?

And is a clear sealant the best to fix the 3rd brake light or would be better to replace the gasket?

Definitely the 3rd brake light. Easy fix though with a trip to Home Depot as is described in the link Chris above posted. Mine leaked only in the exact same spot as yours. Ridiculous.

bigdodge

Reaction score
I had a leak coming from the passenger corner. It was easy to see the path down between the side door and back corner but couldn't figure out what besides the brake light could be. It was definitely seal d. Found a tab somewhere@bout the roof seams paint cracking and allowing water to trickle in like it had. I used some super strong bonding agent from a good body shop. Hasn't leaked since.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely the 3rd brake light. Easy fix though with a trip to Home Depot as is described in the link Chris above posted. Mine leaked only in the exact same spot as yours. Ridiculous.
Thanks for the confirmation. I picked up some MD weather strip and will be putting it in tomorrow.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I bought a blacked out led light for 3rd brake light for under $30 and had a thick seal, so far been around a year, works great and zero leaks.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put in the MD strip this weekend. It hasn't rained to test it but it looks like it will work.

One question. Did you guys remove the old foam gasket? I did, as best I could so that I got a good seal with the sticky side of the strip and connected the two pieces, of the one long piece, on the bottom right in the middle of the brake light cover.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put in the MD strip this weekend. It hasn't rained to test it but it looks like it will work.

One question. Did you guys remove the old foam gasket? I did, as best I could so that I got a good seal with the sticky side of the strip and connected the two pieces, of the one long piece, on the bottom right in the middle of the brake light cover.

I did completely remove the old gasket. Used a plastic bristled detail brush to get most of the remnants off.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll run it through the car wash sometime this week since the leak was so minor that the car wash was the only time water got into the cab.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had to deal with a water leak. We really had a downpour that lasted for hours last week and I had noticed that my truck previously had been a little musty smelling. I decided to go out and have a look when there was a break in the rain. I had about a gallon or two of water standing in my rear under seat bins.

I took it in and they concluded that it was my back window. They removed the headliner, back seats and carpets. The warranty repair on the invoice showed that they sealed open seams in the rear back glass seal, body seams in both right and left rear corners of the cab.

I hope that fixes it. Having that much water floating in the rear storage is unnerving.

OP
OP
BigRed4x4

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got around to washing my truck. Happy to report the new seal worked and no sign of any water in the cab.