Recall No More - 5.7l Exhaust manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder what percentage of the problem comes from use. Say a lot of short trips in town where it's going from cold to hot and back to cold again. I've got an 18 express and the majority of my driving is to commute back and forth to work which is an hour away and mostly freeway. I've already got the headers on my list of things to do but am curious if that plays into the issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
according to some members in some posts years back it matters the heat and cold cycle warps the manifolds that in turn brakes the bolts i hope it helps your question

dudetomm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well my 2012 5.7 1500 had the passenger side replaced just before the warranty expired. Now l'm at 92k and the driver side is leaking. I guess it's shorty header time. My question is why doesn't FCA make factory tube style headers as a fix and install them on the new trucks as well as a replacement for our older trucks if this truelly solves the issue? Wouldn't they save money on all the warranty work?

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
My question is why doesn't FCA make factory tube style headers as a fix and install them on the new trucks as well as a replacement for our older trucks if this truelly solves the issue? Wouldn't they save money on all the warranty work?
Well its just started.... 2009 I believe... Yes why is this such an ongoing problem with no fix on newer models?

to those keeping track, My 2015 just turned 79K and picked up last week for 2nd time for the repair on this issue.

Esgiltner4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never been a recall on hemi manifold bolts, I work for a Chrysler dealership here in Alberta. Just a known issue that’s usually replaced under warranty 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have this problem with my dodge is it bad to drive it with an exhaust leak

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I have this problem with my dodge is it bad to drive it with an exhaust leak
No its not the end of the world, however you will run the risk of burning a valve from the cool air being drawn into the chamber after the exhaust pumps out. It would be advisable to get this fixed soon. Obvioulsy depending on how bad your leak is. If the manifold is falling off, well then yes damaging.

Esgiltner4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No its not the end of the world, however you will run the risk of burning a valve from the cool air being drawn into the chamber after the exhaust pumps out. It would be advisable to get this fixed soon. Obvioulsy depending on how bad your leak is. If the manifold is falling off, well then yes damaging.
Thank you

Esgiltner4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about lifter tap it's a 2013 ram 1500 at cold start it has it taking noise after it heats up it completely goes away would that be a sign of lifter top

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder what the percentage is of people with broken bolts?

I talk to Ram owners every time I see one / get the chance and have only met 1 person with a 2012 had it happen. Once. It was years ago and he still owns the truck, just talked to him yesterday.

I've talked to literally DOZENS of others since I bought my truck and joined this Forum (and read about it...) who have never even HEARD of this issue.

If it's under 1 in 10 or 20 that's probably why nothing is being done.

this is what gets me about forums, when there s a problem with something, then you hear a couple more people with the same problem. All of a sudden people run around like a chicken with their head cutoff like its some world wide known problem and FCA needs to drop everything to fix it..........people there are 100s of thousands trucks sold with these engines and same parts. this forum or any other forum is just a grain of salt of people having problems. and people with over 100 thousand miles think their truck should be running like the day it came off the assembly line and get their panties in a bunch when they have to spend a grand to fix something. As with anything there are human error and mechanical error

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most people that follow automotive forums have come to realize that there is a lot more bad things talked about than good things. You should always pick wisely what you believe or disbelieve. Common problems become pretty apparent. Remember, Abraham Lincoln said you should always believe everything on the internet.
Jay

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Most people that follow automotive forums have come to realize that there is a lot more bad things talked about than good things. You should always pick wisely what you believe or disbelieve. Common problems become pretty apparent. Remember, Abraham Lincoln said you should always believe everything on the internet.
Jay

He was very progressive

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What about lifter tap it's a 2013 ram 1500 at cold start it has it taking noise after it heats up it completely goes away would that be a sign of lifter top

Assuming it's the hemi. This can occur if you aren't running the correct oil filter.

Stevo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recently bought a 2011 Ram 4x4, and wish i had done a bit more research and i would have went with the Silverado that i was also looking at. The Ram has 130k miles, and when i test drove it, i didn't hear anything, and checked it out pretty thoroughly, but after a couple of weeks started noticing the ticking which i recognized as an exhaust leak. Having never owned a Dodge, i did a bit of research to make sure i could get to the manifold and that's when i found that this was a major problem with the Hemis. Still i didn't sweat it, i was pretty sure i could take care of it. Long story short, found 3 bolts on driver side broken, 2 on pass side. Put new bolts in except for 1 on each side that was broken off and will have to be extracted. Put it all back together. The driver side was awful because of the dipstick location and fact that i couldn't even get to the bolt to take it off. Right now still hear minor tick, but know at some point I'm gonna have to take it somewhere to have the bolts extracted, my concern is even once i pay an arm to have that done, how soon before it happens again? Reading this forum, it seems i might have to go to headers, which i also will have a hard time affording. Really frustrated with this issue and discouraged that unless i can sink a bunch of money into it, probably going to be an ongoing issue. This may end up being the first and last Dodge that i own.

Xsivvrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this has probably been asked before....but wouldn't ARP make a bolt to work with the stock manifold with out breaking?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Recently bought a 2011 Ram 4x4, and wish i had done a bit more research and i would have went with the Silverado that i was also looking at. The Ram has 130k miles, and when i test drove it, i didn't hear anything, and checked it out pretty thoroughly, but after a couple of weeks started noticing the ticking which i recognized as an exhaust leak. Having never owned a Dodge, i did a bit of research to make sure i could get to the manifold and that's when i found that this was a major problem with the Hemis. Still i didn't sweat it, i was pretty sure i could take care of it. Long story short, found 3 bolts on driver side broken, 2 on pass side. Put new bolts in except for 1 on each side that was broken off and will have to be extracted. Put it all back together. The driver side was awful because of the dipstick location and fact that i couldn't even get to the bolt to take it off. Right now still hear minor tick, but know at some point I'm gonna have to take it somewhere to have the bolts extracted, my concern is even once i pay an arm to have that done, how soon before it happens again? Reading this forum, it seems i might have to go to headers, which i also will have a hard time affording. Really frustrated with this issue and discouraged that unless i can sink a bunch of money into it, probably going to be an ongoing issue. This may end up being the first and last Dodge that i own.

Don't buy a GM then either,they also break manifold bolts. My company GM just came back from having the manifold bolts replaced,and I think mines the 4th one we've had done lately.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Broken bolts in the head are not a big deal if they are flush i take a welder glob up end of bolt so i have something to grab and twist it out with vice grips the heat from the welder helps bolt brake lose. Have the old manifolds shaved flat and they wont warp again thats what i did and i have never had a problem since.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is the typical symptom of broken manifold bolts as it goes away after warm up when everything expands.....