Recall No More - 5.7l Exhaust manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I know this has probably been asked before....but wouldn't ARP make a bolt to work with the stock manifold with out breaking?
They do, but its not a kit and its not intended for the Hemi. But you can get the correct length ARP bolts in 304SS and it will work with the stock manifold but you will loose the head shield. The issue is that when those thick A$$ manifolds warp they will snap any bolt you stick in there. Maybe if they used a larger M10 bolt but the M8 isn't that big and perhaps is the issue.

I just pulled my stock manifolds (no issues yet at only 9,600 miles) and as a preventative measure installed some ****** Blackheart shorty headers with ARP stainless bolts, I ceramic coated the headers before install and it took about 6hrs both sides with about 2hrs of cursing due to non header really related issues (think rusted completely exhaust clamp at the Ypipe and I had to cut it off). The snapping of the exhaust bolts should not be an issue now as the thinner header flange will not warp and cause the bolts to snap. I was in it about $450 for the headers (got rebates) and for the felpro stock exhaust gaskets and ARP Hemi Header Bolt kit. I ceramic coated them myself so no cost there. Drove the truck yesterday and she feels more alive, more power below 3k for sure!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Its a design flaw in the Hemi, nothing you can do about it. Stock manifold will warp and snap the bolts, even if you plane them after warping that should be about the best you can do to remedy the issue... not sure if that will keep them from warping again. But then again its also a design flaw in GM like stated... Ive had to weld nuts on 3 out of 5 5.3Ls that I got as donors for hod rods. They snap just the same (uses the same M8 bolt) but the manifold flanges are MUCH thinner compared to the HEMI. Either way its not fun to remove then even when the engine is on a stand and I can rotate it easily and have full access.

You only got 3 options:

1. Replace broken bolts only and wait for it to happen again
2. Plane flat the warped manifolds and replace bolts and hope that it warp more
3. Replace with aftermarket headers and bolts which should and usually always does fix the issue

3 is the most expensive but it does have side benefits at least. Finding someone to plane flat the manifolds might be hard to do depending on location. I get charged $160 to resurface a set of cylinder heads, the Dorman Hemi stock bolt kits are like $60 I think so figure you about have the cost of some shorties and you may or may not have fixed the issue.

Stevo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Broken bolts in the head are not a big deal if they are flush i take a welder glob up end of bolt so i have something to grab and twist it out with vice grips the heat from the welder helps bolt brake lose. Have the old manifolds shaved flat and they wont warp again thats what i did and i have never had a problem since.
One is flush, the other is not. Ive never tried extraction and scared i will mess it up worse. One major issue is i cant figure out how to reach the bolt at the bottom of the dipstick to move it out of the way. I'm reading all of the comments here trying to figure out the best plan. What does "shave the manifolds" mean and how would i do that? Thanks!

Stevo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If replacing the stock manifold with shorty headers is a legitimate solution, can someone tell me if this will require alterations to the exhaust system? It looks like (If i can figure out how to get the dipstick tube off) i could do this myself as long as there isn't anything else that would have to be done. Also, this truck has aftermarket flowmaster, and it's already loud, will headers make it louder? TIA.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If replacing the stock manifold with shorty headers is a legitimate solution, can someone tell me if this will require alterations to the exhaust system? It looks like (If i can figure out how to get the dipstick tube off) i could do this myself as long as there isn't anything else that would have to be done. Also, this truck has aftermarket flowmaster, and it's already loud, will headers make it louder? TIA.

i just carefully bent the dip stick out of the way a lil if you try to remove it you will probably brake it off in the block they get rusted in there pre good,.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm at 25k miles and had the truck in for the other warranty stuff a couple days ago. Asked them to take a look at the bolts because I have some ticking on cold starts. No broken bolts yet.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I think many who have broken bolts don't even know they are broken. Just assume it's the tick some 5.7s have. My 05 hemi was noticeable, but on my 13 smelled faint gas at start and odd initial idle, I didn't really hear a tick but had dealer check it due to warranty about to expire. Reason Ram doesn't care much about a redesign, they pay $200 for the work, same work would cost me $1,000. I think for diagnostics, replacing broken bolts on passenger side and replacing shift solenoid, total Ram paid dealer was $600(is what invoice Said for warranty work performed I had to sign). If Ram let me get the same price for labor $200, I wouldn't mind paying every 5-6 years to fix the broken bolt issue.

DJ Otter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read this entire post, every entry.. Does anyone have the correct replacement bolts for this fix. I have searched for 3 days and found nothing. I don't want to put aftermarket shorty headers and ARP bolts etc.. Just want to put new manifolds and replace all bolts with new OEM style. I found a bolt kit that looks exactly the same as stock but every site says it is incompatible with the 5.7 motor. I have a 2013 1500 Laramie.

I have gaskets and manifolds just no bolts yet.. Frustrated..Help would be appreciated.

Here is what Ive found for bolts == upload_2019-9-25_9-31-23.png Part number 03218

I even called Dorman and they said they will not fit.. Do THEY?

Boott12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
He guys, I have two snapped off manifold bolts on the driver's side (2009, 35k miles) that I'm trying to tackle myself. I bought stainless bolts and a new gasket. Took the liner off and sprayed some Kroil oil onto the bolts. I have not been able to break any of the bolts loose. Broke off one. Any suggestions on how to get them to budge?

rewindgy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, also have gone thru 1 manifold on Drivers side and 2 on passenger side. And always changed out all bolts, manifolds and factory gaskets. Drivers side at 154,000 km first Passenger side at 186,000 km and second at 270,000 km. IMHO I think it's a gasket / heat shield issue which keeps too much heat at back of manifold. Solution - put a set of BBK shorties with Stage 8 bolts and Remflex gaskets. Fin pain in my ass to do, cost $600 plus my labor.
If I ever buy another 5.7 the first fin thing I would do is the Header thing!

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
He guys, I have two snapped off manifold bolts on the driver's side (2009, 35k miles) that I'm trying to tackle myself. I bought stainless bolts and a new gasket. Took the liner off and sprayed some Kroil oil onto the bolts. I have not been able to break any of the bolts loose. Broke off one. Any suggestions on how to get them to budge?
years ago, we would use heat on the bolts to loosen them up... be careful what heat source you use. I have not tackled the bolts on my truck yet... hopping to get another dealer change out first, then will swap out to headers.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
well they change bolts and one side was warped was replaced didn't even know they were doing it ! had a bad fuel inject was covered yaaa but the new california emissions I m just not sure about yet old tuner wont work and dialogo isn't trying to up date mine thats sad right 10 years old still works but not on my updates ! dialobo shame !

Banjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read that if you get the manifold machined after it's been warped it won't warp anymore and that will be a permanent fix.

Jeffrey A Hayden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5..7L Hemi
Amanda @ RAMCARE referred me to NHTSA to file a complaint. She said she wished there was something more she could do, and so I asked her to transfer me to (+1) forr Nicholas??? and she said she didn't know who he was...

Complaint filed, COMPLAINT # 11418093

I might trade my truck infor one of them new Ford F-150 Lightning...

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read that if you get the manifold machined after it's been warped it won't warp anymore and that will be a permanent fix.

The permanent fix is Headers. Last thing I would do is put factory crap back in,

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amanda @ RAMCARE referred me to NHTSA to file a complaint. She said she wished there was something more she could do, and so I asked her to transfer me to (+1) forr Nicholas??? and she said she didn't know who he was...

You are going to trade your truck in for a Ford because you have an exhaust leak? What happens when your tires wear out? It's basically a do it once or twice in the life of the truck issue. No that big of a deal.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

:popcorn:

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2 posts and joined today. Sounds like a Ford owner just stirring the pot and trolling.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
You are going to trade your truck in for a Ford because you have an exhaust leak? What happens when your tires wear out? It's basically a do it once or twice in the life of the truck issue. No that big of a deal.
Oh sure... exhaust manifolds bolts breaking off is not exactly a maintenance item like tires and brakes. Come on. I think we have all had many different autos, never had to swap out the exhaust manifold bolts ever 40-60k miles.