Replacing Lifters and Cam, stuck in process,tip or suggestion needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lesmir300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, currently replacing lifters and cam in 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, I'm needing help as I'm stuck in the middle of the process, looking for tips or suggestions as no posts, videos or research coves this step at all.

After setting the engine timing, and proceeding to torque the Cam Phaser bolt, how do you hold the engine from turning to allow you to torque the cam bolt to specs? Thanks!!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Remove the lower brace between the engine and transmission and put a prybar into the bellhousing to keep the flex plate from spinning. The torque spec is 72 ft/lbs

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Piston stop.Summit has them for either heads on or heads off applications.If the heads are on,an old school trick is to feed some nylon rope through the spark plug hole,and then turn the engine over till the rope binds between the piston and head

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put the timing chain on the phaser and crank, instal the tensioner and everything, don’t have to time the engine perfectly at the stage but doesn’t hurt to be close.

Zap the crank bolt with an impact since it’s spec is way higher, then just throw a wrench on the crank bolt to stop it spinning. You’ll get to 72 ft•lbs before the crank bolt loosens.

Mopartech

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, currently replacing lifters and cam in 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, I'm needing help as I'm stuck in the middle of the process, looking for tips or suggestions as no posts, videos or research coves this step at all.

After setting the engine timing, and proceeding to torque the Cam Phaser bolt, how do you hold the engine from turning to allow you to torque the cam bolt to specs? Thanks!!
DM me if you need help. I've done multiple lifter sets and cams, and I have access to the Mopar service library.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca