Sad Day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackmomba12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So yesterday my wife calls me and tells me my engine light came on. So when I got home I took it for a test drive and sure enough, it was running a little rough. So I called the dealer and made an appointment to take it in. I've had the truck for a little over a month and figured the warranty would cover it. Well I took it in today and they tell me it might not be covered. They think it is the spark plugs and that is under normal wear and tear. Not cool. So I called the guy who sold me the truck and he says he would have to wait until Monday to call the warranty people and see what they could do. This is going to set me back about $300. Oh that hurts. I was going to do some work on my other car but now I have to wait. :wtf2:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That sucks how many miles does the truck have on it? I know until you get into the late 13's-14s ram used 30k miles plugs

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry but when you start off with sad day, I was expecting much worse. You can always put the plugs in yourself. They're cheap for your truck.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Sorry but when you start off with sad day, I was expecting much worse. You can always put the plugs in yourself. They're cheap for your truck.

Lol exactly geez drama queen I thought your engine caved! Go spend $30 on plugs n a 6 pack and take the hour to change em urself!

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep, cost me $306 to have them changed in my 07. I would have done it myself, but the 1 or 2 on the drivers side by the firewall I couldn't get at, not sure about the 4th gen. :banghead:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Plugs? That's all?

Man, do them yourself if you are able. It may take you longer than a dealer would take but it's a damn sight cheaper!

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yep, cost me $306 to have them changed in my 07. I would have done it myself, but the 1 or 2 on the drivers side by the firewall I couldn't get at, not sure about the 4th gen. :banghead:

same as these. its really not so bad, just takes patience and a few short socket extensions. i dropped the socket down in the hole, then one extension and clicked it into the socket, then another extension, then my ratchet. pulled it out the reverse.

only trouble i had was my spark plug socket boot decided to stay on the plug on the rear most drivers bank plug. that took some cursing. still happier with my $300 tho.

OP: clean ur TB while ur at it

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
Plugs? That's all?

Man, do them yourself if you are able. It may take you longer than a dealer would take but it's a damn sight cheaper!

This is the first project I tackled when I bought my 2005 5.7, mainly because dealer quoted me $350! It took me a while but as otheres have said, I'm happier knowing that I have an extra $300 I can spend on mods...almost the cost of a Diablo Intune.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
First thing I'd do is ask the dealer what the code,, or codes were, then do a a little searching here and on google. Or do it yourself. I have my own scanner, but most Advance and AutoZone parts stores will usually scan for free. IMHO, that would be the best starting point. Shoot, a bad tank of gas could cause those symptoms, doesn't happen very often anymore, but I've seen it as recently as two weeks ago in my son's motorcycle.

OP
OP
Blackmomba12

Blackmomba12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I understand what all of you are saying but I've only had the truck for a little over a month. There is no way I need spark plugs already. And if it does, they should take care of it. I am spending $30,000 on a vehicle and it is through a reputable car dealer.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's not new they are supposed to be changed at 30k. It's not a warranty item.it's a ware out item. If you spent 30k on a 12, I think you over paid.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You didn't mention how many miles are on the truck, but unless the plugs were damaged by something covered under warranty, the plugs are normally not covered cause they are a wear item. If you have 30k then it is recommended anyway.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spent 27,000 on a 12 yes I over paid but that's what they are selling for. I've got 5,000 miles to go. My question is can the light be reset without a visit to dealer/scanner ?

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
unhook ur battery for 10 mins or so

wait, which light?

Last edited:

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
unhook ur battery for 10 mins or so

wait, which light?

OP said engine light came on because it needed spark plugs. So if I change my own plugs does it come on @ 30,000? And how do I shut it off / reset?
PM if you don't want to clutter thread.
Thanks

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I understand what all of you are saying but I've only had the truck for a little over a month. There is no way I need spark plugs already. And if it does, they should take care of it. I am spending $30,000 on a vehicle and it is through a reputable car dealer.
Wait, why do you think the spark plugs should be covered? Because you've only owned it a month? How old is the truck? 3 years right? Not a month...

OP
OP
Blackmomba12

Blackmomba12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It has 91,000 miles on it. They said something about it maybe covered by the power train warranty but they are not sure. My thing is who would buy a car no matter how much you pay and have to take it back a month and half later. I have a brother in law who told me today that he would not pay for the work and he is the service supervisor for a reputable car dealer. He said he would make it right with the customer. They need to consider the length of time I've had the truck. That is not good business. If they did a complete bumper to bumper check like they said, I shouldn't have this issue. There shouldn't be nothing wrong with this car. I mean really.

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
IDK... if I bought a newer "pre-owned" vehicle from a dealer and it needed a tune up after a month, I'd probably be pissed too.

The dealers here advertise a very thorough inspection on their "pre-owned" vehicles before selling them.