Slowest-selling vehicle in America is the Dodge Ram 2500 truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMG_2042.jpeg

Zach Shefska from online automotive marketplace CarEdge revealed a list of the five slowest-selling vehicles currently on the market. Notably, four of these vehicles are from Stellantis' Dodge brand and one from Ford. This trend might be due to several factors, such as consumers balking at 10% interest rates and near-record-high prices or a possible shift in consumer preferences away from some of these models.

According to Shefska, the slowest-selling vehicle in America is the Dodge Ram 2500 truck, with 784 days of supply.

#1 RAM 2500
784 days supply
$69,408 average listing price
1,602 actively listed for sale
92 have sold in the last 45 days
The 2500 was impacted by a stop-sale in December*

#2 Dodge Hornet
#3 Dodge Charger
#4 Dodge Challenger
#5 Ford Mustang Mach-E

Last edited by a moderator:

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No, initially it was the price difference between "building" a truck on the Ram website and "building" a truck on the Ford website and trying to keep them as close to the same specs as possible. I did go to the dealership a few days later though, and had him price out a Ram vs Ford, spec'd the same. He was surprised to find the same thing, that the Ram was $11,000 more money, even after factoring in available incentives at that time (before current incentives).

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We went to the International Auto Show in San Diego. There was very little interest in the Big Three trucks. I feel the days of driving a 3.5 ton vehicle around when you don't tow, use one to make a living or carry a cabover are about over.

Trucks are America's best selling vehicles by a wide margin. It isn't getting less, it's getting more.

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
All I can say is that in my local area Vacaville, CA I see more RAM’s around town than Chevy, Jimmy or Ford…admittedly I don’t pay much attention to the current Truck market, I’m just going by what I see on the street

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We went to the International Auto Show in San Diego. There was very little interest in the Big Three trucks. I feel the days of driving a 3.5 ton vehicle around when you don't tow, use one to make a living or carry a cabover are about over.

Like I’ve said many times this 3500 diesel truck would be the very last vehicle I’d own , if it wasn’t for the want of towing a big fifth wheel. What could be the reason for owning a truck other than mentioned above ? I can sure think of a lot more suitable vehicles for transportation or even travel for that matter .

Ynottirbo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The slow selling trucks worked in my favor. Over $15000 off the MSRP for a 23. I was not complaining at all. Stickered for $83265.00 There is still one or two at the dealership I purchased mine from.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
friend of mine just traded in his Ford 250 for a '24 Big Horn Black Widow. Awesome truck!!! He said he fell for the Rams after riding in my Limited, but, of course he had to go one better. loll

He said he's glad he went with a Ram over a Ford. I should get a kick back from Dodge for selling a truck for them. ha ha

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
The slow selling trucks worked in my favor. Over $15000 off the MSRP for a 23. I was not complaining at all. Stickered for $83265.00 There is still one or two at the dealership I purchased mine from.
Nearly identical story here except mine was a ‘24. $86355 MSRP. Got them down to $16k off of that and they gave me $8500 for my 2011 Tacoma with 213k miles. Figured I would refinance later this year when rates go down.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I bought my last 2 rams they were a lot cheaper than equivalent fords and gms. I Think last time it was 14k range difference on the half tons and 11k the time before, which is honestly the only reason I stayed ram after major reliability issues on my first ram a 3rd gen diesel. I just figured the cost savings would offset the extra maintenance costs. My second ram ended up being excellent so I was happy I stayed ram. My current one seems to have all the gremlins out now and seems pretty reliable finally after 6 years of fighting with it, but given the savings I'd do it again. Ask me a year ago and I would have answered different. To me overall cost of ownership is more important than brand between the big3 so if Ford or GM are cheaper I'd likely switch. They all ride and drive nice and have comfortable interiors nowadays. I suspect brand loyalty for ram will drop if they price over the competitors by more than a couple grand and they'll have a hard time getting the ford/gm guys to switch to ram and pay more.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love it when you see all these $15000 off MRSP. That can only mean in the real world that vehicle was origionally priced at about $30K over its value or more. And they think they are fooling you...well maybe some of you...LOL

MarkMac77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think there is more than a single factor affecting lethargic sales.

1 FACTOR:
A good portion of buyers *want* to look cool in the big truck or fast car… but don’t *need* it. If they needed to tow or haul, then they wouldn’t compromise the truck by lifting it or installing huge tires, or programming absurd tunes. How often do you see ANY trailer hitch in the receiver? Let alone one rated for more than 5,000 lbs in a truck rated to tow 18,000 lbs??

The economy has made it more costly for posers to roll around flexing fake *****. The whole reason I bought a new Cummins years back was because it was nigh impossible to find an unmolested used one. They were all “Bro-dozers”.

2 FACTOR:
Once you scare off the posers, you have the weekend warriors and the farmers/commercial users remaining. Undoubtedly, boat and RV sales have tapered off too, so the weekend warrior class probably isn’t buying HD pickups as much any more. Now you’re left with the farmers/commercial users, and they tend to drive their rigs until the wheels fall off.

3 FACTOR:
Diesels have become overly complex, difficult and costly to repair. I’d sure prefer NOT to deal with DEF and assorted emissions garbage. I have a 2018, but would trade for brand new 2001 in a heartbeat. In fact, I have a 2001 half-ton and prefer to drive it over my Cummins. Now there is this recall thing with the EPA Cummins lawsuit too..

4 FACTOR:
Ram doesn’t get much in the way of government contracts. Ford HDs may be taking a similar hit, but various states and counties seem to buy fleets of Ford, exclusively, which likely masks their own poor sales to a large extent. Police departments alone kept Ford making the Crown Victoria for years after it was obsolete.

5 FACTOR:
The HD trucks are just too damn big, too damn powerful, too high strung, too damn expensive to buy, too expensive to insure, and too expensive to leave parked in public.

I’m way too young to sound so old, but a modern HD truck is comparable to an overly bred race horse. I don’t want a $100,000 race horse with brittle hooves, expensive shoes, overstressed tendons, special feed & supplement requirements, constant vet checks, and neurosis that renders it unrideable outside a racetrack. I’m happier with a good reliable ranch horse.

Similarly, I don’t want 1200 ft*lbs of torque, wrapped in a $100,000 package, waiting to get door dinged before the first payment clears OR dropping into limp mode because it didn’t like the fuel it got. The typical driver is no more competent to pull 30,000 lbs than to ride the aforementioned race horse.

There are other factors too, but I’m out of wind. ;-)

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with a used Ram as I have had excellent service out of my last 3 Rams. I had a ‘15 Silverado on its 4th tranny with less than 35,000 miles. Fortunately all under warranty. I had loaners longer than my own truck. Ford dealers are so proud of their product that they wouldn’t even return my phone calls or emails. I stopped at the dealer in town, the sales folks were too busy playing cornhole in the showroom to help me out. I am after all replacing a ‘01 Ford after all. And only because I need the room of Crew Cab vs Extended Cab. Where I adopted my Ram treated me and my wife right. I am no expert, and my only data is what I alone experience. So far Ram and Dodge products are fastest selling, longer lasting vehicles on the road. Fords and Foreign Jobs next. And GM trailing as the slowest selling crap on the road today.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I just noticed how 20% off right now at my local dealer for new equates to finance managers sitting in their offices laughing at the end of the sale with their evil fingers about how the average Joe didn't catch that the starting price was just bumped up to make up for that 20% people think they're getting. Numbers shift one way or another and the house usually wins. That is, unless you are well prepared to go into it knowing exactly how the numbers work, having a bottom line for your trade, a number you're willing to put down and a maximum you're willing to spend for the truck keeping in my mind interest rates. You can't be swindled or taken advantage of if you know all that up front and don't buy on emotion. Gotta have a plan and stick to it. Read everything carefully and take your time.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Being that all the RAM HD's are made in Mexico does not help with Government contracts. Ford and GM have at least some USA manufacturing presence for their HD models.
You can blame NAFTA for that... another "great idea" from the government...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
5 FACTOR:
The HD trucks are just too damn big, too damn powerful, too high strung, too damn expensive to buy, too expensive to insure, and too expensive to leave parked in public.
Vehicle insurance is a funny thing, out of our fleet, 2015 3500, 2022 1500, and a 2013 Equinox, the Equinox was always the most expensive vehicle to insure and the 3500 was always the least expensive to insure. Now that the 2013 Equniox was recently replaced by a 2024 Bronce, my 2022 1500 has moved into the most expensive to insure.

This made little sense until I talked with my agent, the cost to insure a vehicle is based on like vehicles cost to the insurance provider. The Equinox is a popular vehicle and because it is it is exposed to more accidents and a higher cost to the insurance provider, the cost to insure is higher.

This may vary across the country, I can only compare my results in Michigan. When I talk about costing less to insure, the dollars are only 20 to 30 dollars less or more on a 6-month policy.

Bonnie Blue Flag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Liter
Just bought a RAM 2500 Laramie today!

MSRP was $81K

They knocked $20K off of it as they offered an $11.5 K discount and an $8.1 K rebate. $61K out the door, prior to taxes and fees.

What an upgrade over my previous 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn.

I would have never bought a $81 thousand truck, but this deal was too good to pass on.

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 10

skates15

Reaction score
I thought the largest cost associated to a vehicle was the warranty. That was many years ago,.so maybe doesn't apply any longer.

aatk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't had a truck for almost 2 years - I swapped my 1500 Limited for a Grand Wagoneer, a vehicle that has to rank up as one of the worse POS's that anyone ever foisted on the car buying public. But I digress...

When I was shopping - so for a 22 - the Ram 2500 had the singular (among 2500 trucks) bonus of requiring a WDH for tongue weights over #500. As did the 3500.

What's. The. Point...

As long as that's still required then I may as well go get a new Chevy or GMC. The price is just as unpleasant and they have a bigger screen.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
The quality of the entire line must improve. RAM is cream of the corp. crop and they still have not addressed the manifold problem, nor the tick. Perhaps the Hurricane engine is well sorted. The cars are not up to industry standards. Ask any good mechanic and they will tell you.
I'm with you on this. However, I still believe they are competitive with Phord and Chebbie who have their own issues, but disappointed after all these years they haven't corrected the lifter issue! This has to be costing them huge money.