Something weird with turn signal

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Blue Chaos, Sep 11, 2015.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    318 Magnum
    This. I've had some insulation rub away on socket wires, and a little duct tape fixed that (electrical tape exposed to the elements rarely stays put). I also had to clean out a turn signal socket with some steel wool, to remove the corrosion, and make a good contact.

The front end of our RC's catch/caught a LOTTA salt in the face back in the day, so don't be surprised to find worn insulation and corroded sockets that will take a Dodge SHERLOCK to track down. My horn wiring is practically shot, and needs to be redone next.

2. Blue Chaos

Blue Chaos Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    Yeah my horn wiring is virtually non-existant. The turn/parking connectors are completely and utterly screwed. They are only half there. So I'll get ahold of my parts guy for some new

3. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    ya if the connectors are toast you are probably best to just remove them and connect new light sockets straight to the wiring an use some dual wall heat shrink tubing to seal it all up

4. Blue Chaos

Blue Chaos Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    Put in new sockets on all for corners. Fixed some of the problems. Traced the wires and found one of the grounds was broken. Fixed that and they all work perfectly now! I think I will write up a how to with pics. I took a lot lol

5. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    that is good to hear. a bad ground would have also cause the issue but not really as common to think of. usually it should have also cause other issues like the 1 headlight to be a bit dimmer or something since the headlights would share a ground with the turn signal but i guess the old sockets could have also been part of the issue.

6. Blue Chaos

Blue Chaos Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    Here is one of the sockets haha

Attached Files:

7. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    seen that before. my 91 was like that on all sockets. i don't think my 81 was that bad but i think i ended up replacing all the sockets on it just because they were not looking great.

8. Blue Chaos

Blue Chaos Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    My driver side front and rear looked like this but the passenger side wasn't bad but I replaced them anyways. This was the rear one lol the wings completely rusted off lol

Attached Files:

9. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    ya not too surprising. i think i actually have or had a light socket with less than less than that left of it. on my 91 the previous owner had just taped the sockets into the housing. also i don't know if you replaced the reverse light sockets or not but when i did i used turn signal sockets so that i would only have to keep 1157 bulbs on hand instead of having to keep a couple 1156 bulbs kicking around.

10. Blue Chaos

Blue Chaos Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    LA 318
    I thought about it. But I am out of cash lol. The three wire (1157) sockets were actually cheaper than the two wire (1156) sockets. I may go that route.