Spark Plug Change DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Have a safe trip home. I enjoyed my tours in Japan and found it a little hard when I finally left.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Have a safe trip home. I enjoyed my tours in Japan and found it a little hard when I finally left.

Now that you mention it....there's a lot of ''little hard'' in Japan from what I've heard,lol.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Started changing my plugs, got to number 5 on the passenger side and it's stuck. Buddy of mine suggested using "PB blaster " anyone every used that?

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, ya say to drop the socket in first, well when coming back out after replacing plug, I know ya can knock the plug socket off the extension with a flathead, but then how do ya get the socket back out! Thanks.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
You can buy one of these at the local parts store and is all I use to remove and replace all of my spark plugs

opy6.jpg

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Started changing my plugs, got to number 5 on the passenger side and it's stuck. Buddy of mine suggested using "PB blaster " anyone every used that?

Yes spray some penetrating fluid down the spark plug hole and let it sit overnight if possible. It should come right out

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7

yep, lotta 3 valve furd owners swear by it......squirt it in and walk away for an hour........should work fine.:buffer:

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Also, ya say to drop the socket in first, well when coming back out after replacing plug, I know ya can knock the plug socket off the extension with a flathead, but then how do ya get the socket back out! Thanks.

I used the small extention.........snapped it in an took it out. But what I did, was loosen the plug but still in the threads....then just removed the socket without the plug.....The plug I grabbed with a cut garden hose.....installed the same way.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the small extention.........snapped it in an took it out. But what I did, was loosen the plug but still in the threads....then just removed the socket without the plug.....The plug I grabbed with a cut garden hose.....installed the same way.
So ya tightened it up with a garden hose? That's pretty neat. Never seen that. I'm not too awfully gifted when it comes to being a mechanic. Most I can do is plugs (with some helpful advise) alternator, oil, and reg maintenance stuff.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
So ya tightened it up with a garden hose? That's pretty neat. Never seen that. I'm not too awfully gifted when it comes to being a mechanic. Most I can do is plugs (with some helpful advise) alternator, oil, and reg maintenance stuff.

just to finger tight, ya work in the socket for the 1/4 turn tight....hard to get a torque spec on the rear driver side plugs....but after ya tighten the other 12 ya sorta get a feel for the last 4.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just to finger tight, ya work in the socket for the 1/4 turn tight....hard to get a torque spec on the rear driver side plugs....but after ya tighten the other 12 ya sorta get a feel for the last 4.
Ah Gotcha. Thanks for the help

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok guys. Got all my plugs changed, except for the stuck one, used liquid wrench and pb blaster, no luck. Even tried a cheater bar on the ratchet, still no luck. Guess it's seized up. All 15 other plugs came out very easily. And this thread helped me a ton with the back plugs. Thanks for the help. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the seized up plug, I guess see how much a mechanic would charge, but it's it's a lot I won't mess with it until I need too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
makes me think that one plug is from the factory....never changed...ya could try heat......but that's risky.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
makes me think that one plug is from the factory....never changed...ya could try heat......but that's risky.
I tried getting it at slightly less that norm op temp. No luck.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
A friend of mine just had this problem on a chevy at his shop and actually broke the top of the plug off at the threads. Unfortunately he has to take the head off to fix. With the hemi I would soak it steadily for a couple days with PB or other rust penetrator. Let it soak thoroughly. And then try to remove the plug. If the plug breaks off the core will probably come out with the top piece and there will be a hole allowing air to past. The head will need to come off at that point. Good luck.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat