Switch-Pros install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the process of adding some front and rear LED lighting to my truck and I chose to install a Switch-Pros SP8100 panel power system to control the lights. I looked at using the Carling switches, but I just couldn't come up with a mounting solution that I liked. I found the Switch-Pros unit and was impressed by its capabilities.

It has 8 switched outputs, 7 rated at 18A and 1 at 30A. The switches can all be individually programmed for On/Off, momentary, ignition or battery powered. Additionally, they can also flash or strobe and it has a low voltage disconnect. The control module is all solid state and very small.

I mounted it using an A pillar mount for an Edge tuner. Although they advertise these pillar mounts for 2500/3500 trucks, it fit my 1500 just fine. I did have to trim it a little to get it to fit the way I wanted, but I think that was more of a part variance than anything else.

The A pillar mount puts the switches within easy reach and they are highly visible without looking down. The switches are back lit and auto dim when the trucks lights come on. While the system is pricey, I think that what it brings to the table (no relays, all solid state, very small controller and all the added features that just a switch can't provide) makes it worth while. The strobe function is very cool (should be neat to try on tailgaters).

It's definitely worth looking into for those of you looking for switches. Personally, I think this makes for a very clean set up and didn't require any visible modifications.

-- and as a side note, yes, I left the little mounting tabs on the switch housing for now. I wanted to make sure this is how I wanted it set up before I think about grinding them off. Without the tabs I can flush mount it in the A pillar pod, but if I take them off there's no going back and using the supplied mount.

DSCF0418.JPG

DSCF0419.JPG

DSCF0420.JPG

DSCF0429.JPG

DSCF0418.JPG

DSCF0419.JPG

DSCF0420.JPG

DSCF0429.JPG

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Very cool. Cost? Do you have links to what you purchased?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

laffs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's pretty sweet. Would have loved a setup like that when I used to plow. Good for folks with heated seats and stuff that takes the place of the factory upfitter switch bank.

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very cool. Cost? Do you have links to what you purchased?

Switch Pros - Home

I paid $383 through AutoAnything during a 20% off sale. Expensive, yes, but worth it to me for the features, simplicity and the look. Simple 4 wire hook up (power, ground, ignition and truck lights) plus wiring your accessories.

I also got the pillar pod from them, Edge Dash Pod #38405. $65

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks...this is very clean, custom, and scalable. I like it and had no idea it existed until your post!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So for relays, what will/have you done as far as mounting?

Or are they not necessary? I didn't look to see what the switch panel is rated for (amps)..

Edit: 8 Outputs, 7 rated @ 18A, 1 rated @ 30A

So I would imagine anything over 200watts would need a relay...

IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So for relays, what will/have you done as far as mounting?

Or are they not necessary? I didn't look to see what the switch panel is rated for (amps)..

Edit: 8 Outputs, 7 rated @ 18A, 1 rated @ 30A

So I would imagine anything over 200watts would need a relay...

IMO

No relays necessary for the stuff I've added so far. If it exceeds the rating for the 7 normal switches you can use the higher output 8th switch. If you have a lot of high amp stuff then, yeah, you'd need to add a relay. I'm just running LED's (54w x 2 up front and 18w x 2 in the back) and it's no problem. I'm only pulling 9 amps and 3 amps.

I've had some time to play with this and the strobe function is very attention getting. I shouldn't have to worry about tailgaters ever again. The self dimming panel is great, just wish you could choose the color.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This has a built in strobe?

If you want to change the panel colors, check out a company called Lamin-X. I've had good results using it on top of and underneath lighted fixtures.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is very cool especially since I've found it difficult on our trucks to find a ergonomic as well as nice looking location for multiple switches. I may just look into this

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think for me, the spod would be a better option, since I need multiple relays.. It comes with 6 fused relays and the switch pod for the cab at $500..

If I got the switch pros pod $383 (if I get the same deal).. I would still need to get the spod "source" at around $400.

So thats right at $700 .. For $750 at spod I get that setup with a digital touch screen switch pod. Lol.. The options...

Not thread jacking, just thinking...

IMO

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's also the option of a Ride Controlled and use your phone/iPad as your switch

OP
OP
swine

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has a built in strobe?

If you want to change the panel colors, check out a company called Lamin-X. I've had good results using it on top of and underneath lighted fixtures.

Yep, the strobe is built in. It can also flash the lights. Very versatile, all the switches are programmable.

Not sure anything can be done about the panel lights, they're not exposed or accessible. It just wouldn't be my first choice in colors. I can live with it.