Switching to a Chevy or Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess if I was looking to switch makes, I'd lean towards a Chevy/GMC. GMC would probably have a nicer interior. But that's just cause I've traditionally had great luck with GM trucks ....and I like the GM service managers at a couple shops around here. And they probably have more GM dealers in his area. I think the OP's long gone from this forum now though (??).

I'd probably *look* at the competition to see what's new/good with other makes. ...I might even give Nissan a hard look. Nissan also builds a nice product. Might get a super deal on one. The magazines don't give them their due b/c they're more worried about which truck has the biggest LCD, best software interface and gee-whiz blinky-blinky LED's. Not number of cross members, frame size, gussets for strength, and drivetrain longevity details. The dealer network in his area might be weak on Nissan's though. Just thinking out loud here ...

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I like my dealer but am pretty soured on the quality of FCA vehicles. My 2014 Ram has had two tranny failures and a blown engine all before 120K. Thankfully, I've got a Lifetime MaxCare Warranty. My company has a Jeep Cherokee and the tranny on that thing is about to take a crap as well. It keeps slipping/clunking, etc. but when I take it to the dealer it magically fixes itself. I'm not brand loyal at all and have owned pretty much all of them in the past (Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan) and my Ram is by far the most problematic.

The truck right before my Ram was a 2006 (pre DPF) Duramax and that was a great truck. To be fair, my Ram was several thousand cheaper than a comparable Ford or Chevy when I bought back in 2014 so I used the savings and bought the warranty. Pretty happy with my purchase.... just not impressed with Ram quality/reliability.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I like my dealer but am pretty soured on the quality of FCA vehicles. My 2014 Ram has had two tranny failures and a blown engine all before 120K. Thankfully, I've got a Lifetime MaxCare Warranty. My company has a Jeep Cherokee and the tranny on that thing is about to take a crap as well. It keeps slipping/clunking, etc. but when I take it to the dealer it magically fixes itself. I'm not brand loyal at all and have owned pretty much all of them in the past (Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan) and my Ram is by far the most problematic.

The truck right before my Ram was a 2006 (pre DPF) Duramax and that was a great truck. To be fair, my Ram was several thousand cheaper than a comparable Ford or Chevy when I bought back in 2014 so I used the savings and bought the warranty. Pretty happy with my purchase.... just not impressed with Ram quality/reliability.
Understood. But I've read a number of posts saying just the opposite, that folks had all kinds of issues with Ford/GM trucks and were very happy with the reliability of their Ram's. I figure dumb luck is a large factor there.

I've had good luck with GM and Ram HD trucks. I had to lemon law my last Ford HD, but I don't hold a grudge about it. Is what it is.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Understood. But I've read a number of posts saying just the opposite, that folks had all kinds of issues with Ford/GM trucks and were very happy with the reliability of their Ram's. I figure dumb luck is a large factor there.

I've had good luck with GM and Ram HD trucks. I had to lemon law my last Ford HD, but I don't hold a grudge about it. Is what it is.

I'm one of those - but my 2017 was later in the Ram model cycle, so some of the bad problems were already fixed.

I believe I've read they got the valve lifter and cam failure rate down by that time. Not eliminated, though. I left GM (Chevy) when my anemic 5.3L engine, which I was assured would be 'fine", could barely tow a modest load without screaming through the hood, and started pumping oil around 40,000 miles.

These engines had AFM, GM's version of 4 cylinder cutout, and pumped oil like crazy after a number of miles. Synthetic oil kept the pumping from starting for a longer time, but it still happened. As far as I researched, 100% of 5.3L AFM engines were impacted.

GM tried all sorts of band aid fixes, but it turns out the culprit was their own cheapened power cylinder design with sloppier piston clearance and lower ring tension for 0.0000001% more mpg. Sound familiar? They wouldn't offer the excellent 6.2L engine in the 1500, so I tossed some oil cleaner in the crank, got the pumping down, and dumped the truck for a Ram.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Dumb luck along with Dumb design.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I guess if I was looking to switch makes, I'd lean towards a Chevy/GMC. GMC would probably have a nicer interior. But that's just cause I've traditionally had great luck with GM trucks
I wish I could say I had great luck with GM vehicles. I had to lemon law a 2003 Yukon XL, and horrible issues with a 2008 Tahoe LTZ, you name it, it broke. In contrast, I've had no issues with RAM trucks, now on my 3rd one and currently own 2 RAMs.

GM finally stepped up their interiors, not to RAM's level but close enough to get me to look at them. If I was going to replace my 2015 Cummins, I think I would take a close look at a GMC dirtymax. The RAM MSRPs have skyrocketed, a good 10K over a GM offering. 10K is a lot of bucks for a retiree.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess if I was looking to switch makes, I'd lean towards a Chevy/GMC. GMC would probably have a nicer interior. But that's just cause I've traditionally had great luck with GM trucks ....and I like the GM service managers at a couple shops around here. And they probably have more GM dealers in his area. I think the OP's long gone from this forum now though (??).

I'd probably *look* at the competition to see what's new/good with other makes. ...I might even give Nissan a hard look. Nissan also builds a nice product. Might get a super deal on one. The magazines don't give them their due b/c they're more worried about which truck has the biggest LCD, best software interface and gee-whiz blinky-blinky LED's. Not number of cross members, frame size, gussets for strength, and drivetrain longevity details. The dealer network in his area might be weak on Nissan's though. Just thinking out loud here ...
I looked at the new Tundra with the 1794 edition, nice, but too expensive (and not a fan of V6 dual turbos). Chevy dealer had a nice 2022 Sierra that was really nice and the AFM is disabled, only way I would look at a 5.3L Eco Tech. But they want 63K, wants to screw me over on trade, ahhhhh, no, (I told him what I was willing to do and he wanted me to put too much down and get a 6 year note when I have a paid off truck (RAM), really Chevy dealer, I's an older BOIRD, not my first rodeo), but it had a lot of nice bling. (Sales guy shows me under the seat, says look at storage and fancy tailgate, like that would make me buy a truck). I also tried to look for a Hydro Blue 1500 RAM in area. My Dealer only has a Laramie, and it has Quad lighting and too expensive (BOIRD will not do ne thing but LED lighting now). Guess BOIRD stay with his early DT RAM, lol.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I wish I could say I had great luck with GM vehicles. I had to lemon law a 2003 Yukon XL, and horrible issues with a 2008 Tahoe LTZ, you name it, it broke. In contrast, I've had no issues with RAM trucks, now on my 3rd one and currently own 2 RAMs.

GM finally stepped up their interiors, not to RAM's level but close enough to get me to look at them. If I was going to replace my 2015 Cummins, I think I would take a close look at a GMC dirtymax. The RAM MSRPs have skyrocketed, a good 10K over a GM offering. 10K is a lot of bucks for a retiree.
Same here. I have a '24 Dmax on order, and will post up good or bad.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
(Sales guy shows me under the seat, says look at storage and fancy tailgate, like that would make me buy a truck).

C'mon! You could fold the upper part of the tailgate into a laptop work station ...like they show on TV, or eat a fast-food meal off it, standing up. Isn't there a cup holder ring on it too? LOL

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
C'mon! You could fold the upper part of the tailgate into a laptop work station ...like they show on TV, or eat a fast-food meal off it, standing up. Isn't there a cup holder ring on it too? LOL
LOL I ordered mine specifically without the brokeback tailgate, and took the $450 credit.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Remember when Ram priced $10k under GM? Now they got market share and a French & Italian owner.

I been thinking about 3.0 Duramax Gen 2 (LZO). Claim it won't get all boogered up with shorter trips, I think it was @ramffml said his buds are having clog issues, though. I won't get another 5.3L V8 if they paid me. I left GM because of that POS.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Remember when Ram priced $10k under GM? Now they got market share and a French & Italian owner.

I been thinking about 3.0 Duramax Gen 2 (LZO). Claim it won't get all boogered up with shorter trips, I think it was @ramffml said his buds are having clog issues, though. I won't get another 5.3L V8 if they paid me. I left GM because of that POS.

Wasn't me, my understanding of it is that it's a pretty solid drive train to date.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I Luv tongue in cheek humor, roflmao. It gets too hot in TX, I be easting in the cab ne way, lol.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which one? 3.0 LZO (uprated Gen 2) or 6.6?
Watched a video the other day on a review of a Chevy with the big motor, what a bow wow, LMAO. Just IMHO.....

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Watched a video the other day on a review of a Chevy with the big motor, what a bow wow, LMAO. Just IMHO.....

Reminds of 454 quadrabog. BWOAHHHHHHH !!!! when the Rochester secondaries kicked in - twice the gas for 2 percent torque. What a mutt.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I test drove a '23, and it would absolutely run circles around my 2019 Cummins HO. I am a Cummins guy at heart, but the other guys have totally caught up to the Cummins in grunt to the ground. Ram's torque management completely blunts the Cummins, and the stumblebum Aisin only makes it worse. I am done making excuses for their failure to keep up.

I am not saying the Duramax is king of the hill. It's not. But Ford still runs the CP4, plus I have a longstanding grudge with Ford, so they were not even a consideration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500