Switching to a Chevy or Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Neighbor here has a fairly new duramax 3.0 in a 4dr 1500 (square fender body style, not the newest GM). He gets great fuel economy, I forgot what he told me. Says it pulls a trailer with a small tractor on it "like it's not back there" (his words). Most of the countryside around here is pretty flat, bear in mind. IDK about trailer towing ...but he let me drive it, and he says "Stomp on it!" ...which I then did. It seemed to get up and move around pretty well. Not really any turbo lag like I figured there might be.

I wouldn't say it has more power or get-up-and-go than my Hemi, but performance-wise for normal driving, it wasn't too far away. So for a 3.0 it does pretty well, with the added benefit of decent fuel economy. You have to factor in the added cost of the engine. Plus the fuel (here) is running ~90 cents more per gallon and resale of a diesel. It has it's place. But anyway, it ran out pretty well.

Edit: I wasn't all that impressed with his truck's interior, and it seemed to be a little noisier than I thought it should be. Which is one reason I went with a Ram at the time. But I think the new GM trucks look nicer (to me) and have a little better interiors (the one's I've sat in).

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Neighbor here has a fairly new duramax 3.0 in a 4dr 1500 (square fender body style, not the newest GM). He gets great fuel economy, I forgot what he told me. Says it pulls a trailer with a small tractor on it "like it's not back there" (his words). Most of the countryside around here is pretty flat, bear in mind. IDK about trailer towing ...but he let me drive it, and he says "Stomp on it!" ...which I then did. It seemed to get around pretty well. Not really any turbo lag like I figured there might be. I wouldn't say it has more power than my Hemi, but performance-wise for normal driving it wasn't too far away. So for a 3.0 it does pretty well, with the added benefit of decent fuel economy. Then you have to factor in the added cost of the engine. Plus the fuel (here) is running ~90 cents more per gallon. It has it's place.

I was more worried about reliability and durability of all the exhaust crap if not used for long trips often.
That's been the downfall of diesels since EPA Tier 4 emissions regulations went into effect 2007.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IDK. I drove diesel Jetta's for work for years. I put on a lot of miles. Not all highway. Did all my own maintenance. I even bought a new turbo after 250k miles on one car ...since I was working in the area. Figured after 250k the turbo had to be getting worn.

Guess what, there wasn't any more 'freeplay' in the bearings than the brand new Garret had. And the vains were clean and free. Over the years I've had to do turbo pipe pressure checks and all that for troubleshooting purposes (which the problems weren't turbo related). So.... to me, Turbo's are pretty straight forward (the old-school non-electric type) and some other ones I've worked on were pretty easy to debug.

A lot of time a mechanic forgets to tighten a turbo hose clamp (say he needed to remove for access to something) which can result in a drop of pressure or blow-off, or a plastic turbo 'pipe' cracks. A turbo actuator vacuum hose get heat embrittled and breaks ....Or another plactic part in the turbo 'system' cracks. Diesel's run 'dry' which helps keep turbo's from gumming up. I personally don't have too many longevity worries about turbo's. There's not that much mystery to them anymore. But anytime you add more 'stuff' to an engine it can increase failure. But on Gas engines that run 'moist' ...there's where I have concerns keeping them from gumming up.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
IDK. I drove diesel Jetta's for work for years. I put on a lot of miles. Not all highway. Did all my own maintenance. I even bought a new turbo after 250k miles on one car ...since I was working in the area. Figured after 250k the turbo had to be getting worn.

Guess what, there wasn't any more 'freeplay' in the bearings than the brand new Garret had. And the vains were clean and free. Over the years I've had to do turbo pipe pressure checks and all that for troubleshooting purposes (which the problems weren't turbo related). So.... to me, Turbo's are pretty straight forward (the old-school non-electric type) and some other ones I've worked on were pretty easy to debug.

A lot of time a mechanic forgets to tighten a turbo hose clamp (say he needed to remove for access to something) which can result in a drop of pressure or blow-off, or a plastic turbo 'pipe' cracks. A turbo actuator vacuum hose get heat embrittled and breaks ....Or another plactic part in the turbo 'system' cracks. Diesel's run 'dry' which helps keep turbo's from gumming up. I personally don't have too many longevity worries about turbo's. There's not that much mystery to them anymore. But anytime you add more 'stuff' to an engine it can increase failure. But on Gas engines that run 'moist' ...there's where I have concerns keeping them from gumming up.

Did they have diesel oxidation catalyst, regenerative particulate oxidizing filter, selective catalytic reduction NOx converter with diesel exhaust fluid tank and all the sensors and control software?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL ...no.

That's another layer (or two) as you correctly point out! :banghead:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
And that's why your diesels lasted.

It's a brave new world, where we're all driving EV's, if only we could find enough raw battery material and electric charging capacity.

In the meantime, it's back to bicycles and horses.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yer right!

I've been 'toying' with the idea of getting an F350 and building up a 'new' snow plow vehicle. If I do, I'd probably go backward to an 03-07. Less to fail. Most surviving 6.0's have been "bullet-proofed" by now (or I can do it), or a 7.3. And a 4x4 lever on the floor. Like you say, keep it simple, and I agree with that! :waytogo:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reminds of 454 quadrabog. BWOAHHHHHHH !!!! when the Rochester secondaries kicked in - twice the gas for 2 percent torque. What a mutt.
But it sounded cool, especially when U bolt on the top of the air-clearer lid upside down, lol.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1794 edition, does it have a front hitch for horses?
:D
Bout every piece of bling out there they put in/on trucks. Pretty as heck, but the sticker was almost in the Limited Range.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I looked at the new Tundra with the 1794 edition, nice, but too expensive (and not a fan of V6 dual turbos). Chevy dealer had a nice 2022 Sierra that was really nice and the AFM is disabled, only way I would look at a 5.3L Eco Tech. But they want 63K, wants to screw me over on trade, ahhhhh, no, (I told him what I was willing to do and he wanted me to put too much down and get a 6 year note when I have a paid off truck (RAM), really Chevy dealer, I's an older BOIRD, not my first rodeo), but it had a lot of nice bling. (Sales guy shows me under the seat, says look at storage and fancy tailgate, like that would make me buy a truck). I also tried to look for a Hydro Blue 1500 RAM in area. My Dealer only has a Laramie, and it has Quad lighting and too expensive (BOIRD will not do ne thing but LED lighting now). Guess BOIRD stay with his early DT RAM, lol.

So, why would you want to trade off your RAM?

You have stated it is low mileage and a "driveway queen/Princess" ...

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, why would you want to trade off your RAM?

You have stated it is low mileage and a "driveway queen/Princess" ...
Who said I was trading, just a looking around. Now I would do a newer RAM, but alas, not 2023, no E Torque, but then again, always nice to look at other stuff sometimes, for a lil entertainment.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
I taught high school for over 30 years. Never found anyone who detested me that was not a piece of work themselves.