Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Just a quick note for those with either a newer HD2500 or HD3500 4WD: get the proper fitting/tool & pump a good quality grease into your front drive shaft. The grease point is on the back rear knuckle joint. It is not your normal grease zerk fitting.

I did mine a couple weeks ago: Trying to get slowly prepared for the winter months.
Low & Behold the dam joint was bone dry!
New Amsoil red grease went in & the same new red grease came out the back!
SOB! I woke up from a dead sleep & began thinking I needed to check & grease this joint. Freaking Crazy!

A new Ram with 1 grease point & the freakin thing is not serviced with grease on the assembly line. What a Joke!

For those who have never greased this joint ya better think about doing it! There are reports that some Rams have this grease point and some don’t!
I have a small white sticker under the hood on the drivers side fender well. Somewhat half A$$ explaining where to find the grease point.

Good Luck!
I have the same sticker under the hood driver side. What type of greas fitting is it?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just a quick note for those with either a newer HD2500 or HD3500 4WD: get the proper fitting/tool & pump a good quality grease into your front drive shaft. The grease point is on the back rear knuckle joint. It is not your normal grease zerk fitting.

I did mine a couple weeks ago: Trying to get slowly prepared for the winter months.
Low & Behold the dam joint was bone dry! New Amsoil red grease went in & the same new red grease came out the back!
SOB! I woke up from a dead sleep & began thinking I needed to check & grease this joint. Freaking Crazy!

For those who have never greased this joint ya better think about doing it! There are reports that some Rams have this grease point and some don’t! I have a small white sticker under the hood on the drivers side fender well. Somewhat half A$$ explaining where to find the grease point.

Good Luck!

I do mine as the sticker says.

At every oil change. Though i just use plan old lithium grease. Here i am a syn oil thread guy for over 2years mow and im am bad about using top of the line grease.

I need to step up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anytime someone switches grease make sure about compatibility, I know Syn knows that but other folks be warned. The biggest problem with grease's is incompatibility, it is not like engine oil. From Amsoil,

COMPATIBILITY
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is compatible with many other types of greases. However, it is recommended that when changing greases, the equipment be cleaned of the old grease when possible or flushed with a liberal amount of Multi-Purpose Grease while the mechanism is in operation. Closely monitor the system for any inconsistencies. Grease compatibility questions should be referred to your AMSOIL representative or AMSOIL INC.

And redline's warning...

Although Red Line CV-2 is compatible with small amounts of many petroleum-based greases, it is always good lubrication practice to thoroughly clean out the old grease to eliminate abrasive particles and to minimize the possibility of grease incompatibility.

It is good that Amsoil and redline give a warning, I do wish they were a little more aggressive with it. The fact is you shouldn't mix greases, and when it is unavoidable I'd just use oem, and if that is not available you need to monitor it often for a while.

Avoiding Grease Incompatibility
Problems

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I keep both of my guns loaded with superlube where as I used to just keep them loaded with whatever M1, Valvoline, etc "Synthetic Grease" I could get on the cheap. Mainly started using it since my Chally has some delrin bushings which seem to really love the stuff(Has to be the PTFE), but so far its worked pretty good in everything. When moving older parts over to it I just pushed enough until the **** coming out of the joint/bushing looked close enough to what was going in then wiped off the excess and I haven't had any notable issues like grease running out or anything acting like its lost lubrication.

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ezp-49.html

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes,

AAM. To be honest when the situation was in front of me as i was talking to the guy and I had to pick between 4.56 gears made in AMERICAN or 4.88’s made in China or Japanese (or the like)

I wanted American!!!

There are tons of manufactures for 488‘s and even higher ratios but the ones that fit the newer diff in the front of my truck are all made out of the country.

I support America as best i can.

It is my understanding that there is really only a few manufacturers and they rebox them and sell as others. I don’t have a way to prove it! When getting my gears for last rebuild I did Yukon they failed to setup correctly and ended up swapping them for whatever Carquest sells. The Carquest ones worked great but I didn’t get to see where they were made. The Yukon’s were not the from the US if I recall they were China.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It is my understanding that there is really only a few manufacturers and they rebox them and sell as others. I don’t have a way to prove it! When getting my gears for last rebuild I did Yukon they failed to setup correctly and ended up swapping them for whatever Carquest sells. The Carquest ones worked great but I didn’t get to see where they were made. The Yukon’s were not the from the US if I recall they were China.

That is what i found too. A LOT of them are re-boxed and re-label

But not AAM[emoji16]

If it says AAM, its made by them. But AAM also sells their gears to companies that re-label them.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Anytime someone switches grease make sure about compatibility, I know Syn knows that but other folks be warned. The biggest problem with grease's is incompatibility, it is not like engine oil. From Amsoil,

COMPATIBILITY
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease is compatible with many other types of greases. However, it is recommended that when changing greases, the equipment be cleaned of the old grease when possible or flushed with a liberal amount of Multi-Purpose Grease while the mechanism is in operation. Closely monitor the system for any inconsistencies. Grease compatibility questions should be referred to your AMSOIL representative or AMSOIL INC.

And redline's warning...

Although Red Line CV-2 is compatible with small amounts of many petroleum-based greases, it is always good lubrication practice to thoroughly clean out the old grease to eliminate abrasive particles and to minimize the possibility of grease incompatibility.

It is good that Amsoil and redline give a warning, I do wish they were a little more aggressive with it. The fact is you shouldn't mix greases, and when it is unavoidable I'd just use oem, and if that is not available you need to monitor it often for a while.

Avoiding Grease Incompatibility
Problems
What happens when the grease is not compatible. Do the two separate and not lubricate or is there a chemical reaction

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Man that looks like it would take forever....

It only a pain in the ass the first time trying to find and figure it out. After that, it is a 10 minute job at most the subsequent times.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I do apologize I know my post had nothing to do with oil...
I only wanted those owners of the Rams that I mentioned to be aware: If you haven’t greased this joint yet?
There is a very good chance that this joint is bone dry!
Not good if you have used or use your 4WD often.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I only wanted those owners of the Rams that I mentioned to be aware: If you haven’t greased this joint yet?
No worries my friend , as you know oil is the main subject here but we go miles away from oil anytime someone says ""SQUIRREL !! ""

This is ( imho ) what makes this thread so great , we discuss lots about oil which I love , but we also cover a broad range of interesting subjects in depth .

Hell , I'm not telling you anything ( SyN ) LOL !!!! you were part of this thread LONG before I was [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I would hate to think Yukon is now a Chinese product.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No need to apologize this is great info! Can't believe they didn't grease that at the factory..........

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I would categorize that as a fail, I would keep looking for something that works. Now the dealer really wont help, lol. Next time go back to PUP and let it get louder and see if dealer will address it? Did they not want to fix it in the first place?

Dealers won't do anything. It's "normal" to them. Quiet, loud, it's normal, until it's not, which is when something fails. So I just wait for a lifter to fail.

Going to do an oil change soon, send a sample off to blackstone.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
What happens when the grease is not compatible. Do the two separate and not lubricate or is there a chemical reaction

I had this happen to me on my atv, 2 different grease types and they both got hard and looked all dried out and burnt the bearings out.
Wont do that again...lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another thing that happens is the grease turns to like water, just gets so thin it leaves the metal. Read the link that I posted.