Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That Lucas additive also quiets that lifter tick. I am not big on adding stuff but it does work if you need it. I would not open it up for lifters unless there are other reasons based on it being so common.

$miley

Is there any negative effects of using Lucas oil additive? And is it really a full quart per oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't think there is a negative other than it may make extended drain and obviously the chemistry different.

$miley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I myself would not use a oil additive={Band Aid}-->Just Me!

Use a good Quality Oil be it dino or synthetic.

I would experiment with Viscosity rather then adding an oil additive--->Once again Just me!

So lifter tick is a good thing? Wouldn't it be better if the lifters were silenced by the Lucas stuff?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I don't think there is a negative other than it may make extended drain and obviously the chemistry different.

$miley

Thanks, I might try it. I've been using high quality synthetic oils and filters since buying my truck brand new. I change my oil every 6000km anyways, so no long change intervals.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They even have a synthetic one which is what I used when mine did it.
I prefer not to use them too but when you have something you are trying to correct it is worth it to me to try something rather than live with it.

$miley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
They even have a synthetic one which is what I used when mine did it.
I prefer not to use them too but when you have something you are trying to correct it is worth it to me to try something rather than live with it.

$miley

So if I'm hearing you correctly, did you use the Lucas stuff for just one oil change and you don't have to keep doing it every oil change?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I used the Lucas product religiously in my previous truck to combat a dry start situation. It did an excellent job on the truck. I also have a very good friend who uses it in his Peterbilt. He has over 1 million miles on the engine between rebuilt. The only reason I don't use it with my hemi is that I worry about it the effecting the MDS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
So if I'm hearing you correctly, did you use the Lucas stuff for just one oil change and you don't have to keep doing it every oil change?

I used the Lucas product religiously in my previous truck to combat a dry start situation. It did an excellent job on the truck. I also have a very good friend who uses it in his Peterbilt. He has over 1 million miles on the engine between rebuilt. The only reason I don't use it with my hemi is that I worry about it the effecting the MDS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

A couple nerves were hit here for me, I use Motorkote, (found in walmart,advanced,truck stops).
first it is a catalyst, meaning it uses the oil as ''vehicle'' to reach the metal in the motor that normally needs oil to keep running....It is NOT an additive.
Second it only is used once every 3rd oil change.
Third, You only use a few ounces per five quart application. So a quart of this stuff will last you a few years........It's been called snake oil, and miracle in a jug........but Thousands of truck drivers swear by the stuff, use it on EVERYTHING, Hinges, doors,anything that needs lubricity.:beatdeadhorse5:

I know I know, :rant over: sorry.:emotions133:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With all do respect to everyone's choices, I have been guilty plenty of times of doing similar stuff without researching it. Hype works, that is why it exists. Even the best of us fall to hype.

As for Lucas, it has been analyzed many times and is simply heavy mineral oil with no additives. So while it may have an effect on a tick or something else, all you are doing is adding viscosity to your oil while diluting the additives. Now, if you added some 20w50 with additives, you would be doing the same thing but you wouldn't be diluting your additives.

I explained motorkote back on page 21, again unless you know what is in the additive and understand the chemistry then why would you dump it in your truck? If your oil needs something for it to do it's job, find a different oil. If you are using a top shelf synthetic oil, even group 3's, an additive is likely going to make your lubrication worse not better. Maybe it will release some friction, but at what cost??? With all do respect to truck drivers as I was one for a decade, we are not scientists and most of us aren't educated past high school which is why we drive trucks in the first place. Wasn't til after I drove a truck that I was able to finish college. So saying truck drivers use something so it must work, doesn't past my muster.

Now, some additives like Prolong made a hit on the market place and those of us who used it where amazed. Prolong contains chlorinated paraffins which experts in the oil industry believe to be unstable and corrosive when exposed to heat. Many oil guys hypothesize that is what motorkote is, don't take my word for it google VOA and Motorkote and read all of the posts. If there is Chlorine of any kind you don't want to put that in your truck. Dump it in your swimming pool if you like, but not in your truck.

Last thought on additives, perhaps there is a place for some on the horizon for a very few applications and the hemi just might be one of them with all of the challenges we have with lubrication. But oil thickeners are not good because you can achieve the same thing without sacrificing additive dilution. And if an additive doesn't disclose what it is, why dump it in your truck? It could be a prolong clone, it will make your truck sound awesome and hyper clean your engine, but also can and will cause damage to your internals.

An example of an oil additive that would be beneficial would be something that doesn't corrode anything ever (so anything chlorine is out) and is oil soluble and reduces friction. However, oils already use such products and they are calcium, Zinc, Moly, phosphorus, boron, etc. And soon as another additive is developed to give benefit to an engine the oil industry will absolutely include it in it's formula as soon as they can.

I keep an open mind, but you have to convince me with science not hype. I'm past that. I promise ya'll I will be the first to say I'm wrong if you convince me with science, not only tests but tell me what the product is so I know it is not a chlorinated paraffin. There is a reason that no oil company adds that crap to any of it's oils.

Hemi tick is a *****, makes you want to dump anything down there to see if it helps, I am so guilty of this myself! But treating sticky lifters and the expense of your internal bearings isn't worth it. I don't think having a little thicker oil is a bad strategy, I would mess with that right up to the point you get a CEL. Maybe add 5 qrts 5w20 and 2 5w30 or something like that. That would be the same thing as adding lucas but without the foam.

Research what ya'll are promoting and then let's have a conversation about it.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
well put burla, but again, it is not an additive, it doesn't thicken the oil, nor does it change the viscosity or heat shear ......of course you are spot on, it was the hype an nothing but the hype that drew me to this product, but when I witness, large fleet companies, buy this product by the barrel as in 55 gallons! When all I use is a few ounces...........I'm pretty sure I'm not ruining my motor. I will try an get the science side of this product, they do not shy away from questions on this subject. Mebbe post on another thread, so as not to deter from the op's original post.

Thanks,
no hate, no sarcasm.
Bill

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
well put burla, but again, it is not an additive, it doesn't thicken the oil, nor does it change the viscosity or heat shear ......of course you are spot on, it was the hype an nothing but the hype that drew me to this product, but when I witness, large fleet companies, buy this product by the barrel as in 55 gallons! When all I use is a few ounces...........I'm pretty sure I'm not ruining my motor. I will try an get the science side of this product, they do not shy away from questions on this subject. Mebbe post on another thread, so as not to deter from the op's original post.

Thanks,
no hate, no sarcasm.
Bill

No hate but anything you add has to be an additive. I don't like additives but I think they have there place in certain circumstances. I too would rather use an oil I do not need the additive with. Something I use on regular basis is limited slip additive because without it my Auburn chatters just an example.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401473150.247948.jpg

$miley

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
No hate but anything you add has to be an additive. I don't like additives but I think they have there place in certain circumstances. I too would rather use an oil I do not need the additive with. Something I use on regular basis is limited slip additive because without it my Auburn chatters just an example.
View attachment 29560

$miley
ya see here's the catch that everybody seems to be missing, It doesn't change the properties. So by definition it is NOT an additive. It by definition is a hyper lubricant that reduces friction. It uses the oil in the motor as a catalyst nothing more, while using the oil to get to the metal and on a molecular level, thereby reducing friction it does not mix with the oil nor does it change anything to said oil..........I heard of z max, an slick 50.......although their claims are similar, ya don't see fleet managers going out of their way to buy that stuff,......but they do buy motorkote. Not to mention all the truckers that use it, independant drivers that own a hell of a lot more motor than you or I and they swear by it.........I'm just saying if motorkote were crap it would of been called out a long time ago.:emotions133:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I keep an open mind, when they want to tell me what's in it, I am all ears. I will say this, using Lucas would be a lot less risk then using any chlorine product. Here is one post about motorkote and there are many more, not too hard to find. MUST READ THIS AS WELL.

AMSOIL recently had an independent lab test Dura Lube Engine Treatment Booster, Motorkote Hyper Lubricant/Engine Treatment, Motorkote MK Million Mile Formula and Prolong Engine Treatment. They found that each contained significant quantities of chlorinated paraffins. The findings were published in a recent technical service bulletin:

This guy below posted test results and is suing MK if you believe him.

Turtle268

I had a massive Cummins engine failure due to Motorkote oil additive. Warrantee relief was denied by Cummins and Amsoil. In depth tests confirmed an additive, Motorkote. It is a CHLORINE based additive that is extremely harmful to an engine. A separate test (Chlorine content, bomb method, ASTM D808) done on a ****** sample of Motorkote confirmed over 28% CHLORINE content!!!!!

I have proof of tests upon request with return email address.

I have four positive lab results, very expensive and detailed reports, which confirms it is indeed Motorkote in the engine oil. The oil I was using at the time was Amsoil synthetic. Amsoil also confirmed in their own (two independent) detailed tests that Motorkote was the culprit and causitive factor in my major Cummins engine failure. Cummins sent me a 19 page report also confirming same. Another independet lab did a very expensive and extensive advanced chlorine test on a ****** sample of Motorkote and confirmed that it is in fact over 28% CHLORINE!!!! I still have samples of the oil I used in question and I also have the failed engine in my shop, to be used for future litigation against Motorkote.

I challenge Motorkote to deny my accusations!!

Users beware!

Sorry for the long post but this was the report, and again this is not only one report but again what many oil guys "think" is what is going on with MK. And new information just like what all us oil guys think Amsoil actually has proof that MK uses what prolong uses, don't use that chit fella's until they prove it's safe

ANALYSIS REPORT

MOTORKOTE - New (Unused) Oil
Unit Make : {n/a} Date Rec'd : Dec 7, 2009 Sample Date : Dec 6, 2009
Unit Model : {n/a} Serial No: : {n/a} Time on Unit : 0 cyc
Comp Make : {n/a} Cust. Ref No. : {n/a} Time on Oil : 0 cyc
Comp Model : {n/a} Stub No. : WC-806723 Time on Filter : 0 cyc
RECOMMENDATION

This is a baseline read-out on the submitted sample.

Sample Date Current UOM
Time on Unit 0 cyc
Time on Oil 0 cyc
Time on Fltr 0 cyc
Oil Maint. n/a ---
Filter Maint. n/a ---

CONTAMINATION

{not applicable}

Sample Date Current Abn
Silicon --- ---
Potassium --- ---
Water (%) <0.1
>4µm(c) --- 5000
>6µm(c) --- 1300
>14µm(c) --- 160
>21µm(c) ---
>38µm(c) ---
>70µm(c) ---
ISO 4406(c) 19/17/14
OIL CONDITION
Total Chlorine content (ASTM D808): 28.37% (283,700 ppm). holy wtf? :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Sample Date Current Abn
Iron --- 20
Nickel --- 20
Chromium --- 20
Titanium --- ---
Copper --- 20
Aluminum --- 20
Tin --- 20
Lead --- 20
Silver --- ---

Report ID - WES660GUE [WCAMIS] 01577737 - Pg. 1 © 1996-2000 WearCheck Canada Inc. - All Rights Reserved. WCCF1160

If you have any questions concerning this sample report (work order no 01577737 ) please call 1-800-268-2131.
The leader in oil analysis

WearCheck International
Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America ATTN: ED WESSELIUS
ED WESSELIUS
[email protected]
FAX ()-
Report ID - WES660GUE [WCAMIS] 01577737 - Pg. 2 © 1996-2000 WearCheck Canada Inc. - All Rights Reserved. WCCF1160

So bottom line with the many posts about MK out in the internet land, why not find out for yourself before running it in your $30k truck.

MUST READ THIS, AMSOIL RESEARCH ON MOTORKOTE AND OTHERS.

USE THAT CRAP AT UR OWN RISK,

BUT DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED BY BIG BAD BUUUUURLA :)

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Didn't mean to dress you or your additive or "none-additive" down Rocket. I have no horse in the race, just trying to get all of you guys thinking before you drop this stuff in your engine. Like I said I used a similar product and again it was great, but when you see the damage it does you can't use that ****. It will turn your oil into acid, period bro.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If it does not mix with oil isn't that more scary? I also have no reason to care if it is good or bad other than I feel most stuff you can buy in that whole isle at any store is pretty much just snake oil. The only reason it exists is because it does not change things enough to cause a ton of failures but does help the mind feel better about it. The only thing you need to add to a healthy engine is more oil on long change intervals. I like many here I am sure have never had an engine failure so until I do I thinking I am doing what works.

Burla, I love that you look stuff up to support your thoughts I should do that more :)

Btw I got annoyed by MDS one day so I turned it off via tuner and I can't believe how nice the engine runs without it.

$miley

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tell us how easy was it to disengage your mds? Which tuner? how user friendly was it? BTW, did you get the trans tune as well for shift points. I think it is ok to discuss here because mds off is related to the thread. thanks pard

btw, is SyN's sig stretching the forum's page? lol

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree when MDS kicks in, it sounds like crap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
superchip has the mds off on I believe.........looks like I'm up for an oil change quicker than I expected....thanks for the heads up, burla,& company.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tell us how easy was it to disengage your mds? Which tuner? how user friendly was it? BTW, did you get the trans tune as well for shift points. I think it is ok to discuss here because mds off is related to the thread. thanks pard

btw, is SyN's sig stretching the forum's page? lol

I had the Superchips tuner sold it as I was not impressed. I have the Hypertech I used to use on my Durango. It also does not impress me from a tuning standpoint as canned tunes are pretty lame to me. It does work great to adjust tire size, MDS and top speed limiter.

MDS off is so nice when you are on the highway or really anywhere where it used to be engaged and you need to punch it. No delay just goes. I think the fuel savings is not too noticeable while I cannot believe how smooth she drives without MDS.

$miley