Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.7%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 997 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 663 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You are "afraid" and "really afraid" of Redline oil, I hope you don't get nightmares over it. If so you might have to change your avatar. If it ever "really really really" makes you afraid, I think you should get a restraining order against that chit :)

Anyhow, Amsoil is great stuff and it sounds like it is a good fit for you, give it a shot. It has worked to quiet some of the Rams it was used in.

lol nice response... im just saying from the premature wear on the local guys motors im afraid to run it in my truck as i plan to keep it for a very long time.. however this was a few years ago and somthing could have changed with redline... I was just curious if amsoil was stopping the engine noises like redline was, thats all..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
lol nice response... im just saying from the premature wear on the local guys motors im afraid to run it in my truck as i plan to keep it for a very long time.. however this was a few years ago and somthing could have changed with redline... I was just curious if amsoil was stopping the engine noises like redline was, thats all..

Another afraid? To blame any oil for "premature" wear with a dragster is kinds silly IMO. To even suggest that there is a such thing as "premature" wear on a dragster is also funny. That is a sport dedicated to pushing engines to the brink, not for driving miss fawking daisy. I find the entire post shaddy.

Go tell Doug Kalitta of the NHRA that you are "afraid" to use Redline because it causes "premature" wear in dragsters, lol. He needs a good laugh. I got my laugh so thanks, catch ya later.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, smooth running is just one of a list of benefits of running group 5. But, we have also been getting not so impressive wear numbers from guys running it as well. It is possible that these are because the engines are new, or it could be because 20 weight oil in any brand is going to cause higher wear. So this thread is just beginning to pay dividends as far as information. The next two or so years of different oil choices and UOA's will give us all answers on what is going on with our unique engines. So we need guys running many different oils, not just running and testing one.

Can you tell us what is the "not so impressive wear numbers" that you speak of? as you know more burla we both don't drive our trucks that far so I'm only averaging about 8k miles a year. I want to make sure I can go a full year without changing it or any cause of concern with using a group 5 oil like redline.

Also, is a catch can that important when using any type of synthetic oil? I still haven't gotten one yet and I'm at almost 17k miles.

Last but not least, my last question is for the newer 6.4 hemi engines..they use 0w.40 oil and not alot of places make that oil, so any suggestions for people that have that engine?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
arod

I think the catch can "possibly can" be important in keeping your oil a little cleaner. Whatever you burn ends up in your exhaust and your oil, so perhaps not sending that garbage bac=k through your engine might keep it cleaner.

For the 6.4 I only recommend Ultra at this time, it is the only one that meets the spec that I know of. When an oil says "meets or exceeds" I believe that is all you need, but from what I've seen no oil company other then penzoil has met that spec. redline has a 0w40 but I wouldn't use it in an SRT until they said "meets and exceeds" that new srt spec. I'm pretty sure Redline and most other oils will meet that spec, but until they advertise that they do, you kinda should use what does. Redline 0w40 meets MS-10725 the older Chrysler spec and probably meets the new spec as well, but they don't say it yet.

So any oil worth running in your car/truck says what specs it satisfies. Look up your oil and look for spec MS 12633. Until it shows up your better off using Ultra. It seams like Ram might be monkeying around with that spec and the oil industry. Maybe penzoil is giving them some payola or something. So an example is this go down to specs and approvals, if you look at the specs for Mobil 1 0w40, this spec is not there. Means they have NOT tested for that spec yet, not that is doesn't meet it.

From my information, most of the UOA's have been coming up with high numbers with the 5w20's in any Hemi, especially copper. Just like everyone else here, I'm still trying to find a solution if it exists. It wouldn't matter though, the oil is still good for a year as mine still looked brand new on paper, there are just higher wear numbers. So changing your oil early wouldn't accomplish anything, your engine will still be wearing at a high rate with used or new oil. It is a product of hemi versus 5w20, and so far I do not have an answer. I encourage you to look up "uoa 5w20 and hemi" and read up. I also encourage you to look up 5w20 and wear.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The problem with that spec stuff is they are in bed with Shell so they make a spec and then have others on outside looking in. My guess of course not scientific is any group 3 or higher will work for that as long as it is 0W-40. Could be a lot like the Dexos rating by GM another way to get money to put it on the bottle.

$miley

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
GF-6 is going to bring a well deserved new set of standards to the world of motor oils.

http://www.gf-6.com/sites/default/files/02-ILSAC_gf-6a_2-13-14_draft_rev_5.pdf

350xNxchart1.png.pagespeed.ic.MO0BuKVemj.jpg

GF-6 Specification Details | GF-6 | Lubrizol

But lets not get too excited yet, they dont project having GF-6 oil on store shelves before 01/01/2017

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Did I Amsoil change before heading out here. Not noticing any big change over RP, the motor sounds just as smooth. It's great stuff.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
SO, Got my tests back from Oil Analyzers Inc.

had just at 10,000 miles on the oil. this was the FIRST time I had ever run amsoil in it. previously was most likely dealership dino oil. Vehicle had 73000 on it when I bought it. It has 88000 on it currently. any ideas what these mean?

Amsoil Signature series 5w20.

Capture-2.jpg

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looks great! A tiny bit of iron and copper, but nothing to worry about, seems typical for these engines. And a nice solid base number after 10k. You can safely run 10k oil changes. You could probably push it to 12 or 13k if you want to run another analyisis after and see from there. What was the duration of the 10k (months)?

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I vote royal purple. I have used royal purple in all of my performance engines. I seen a show one time some years back that they switched the engine oil trans fluid and diff fluid with Rp and they gained 12 hp

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hemiaustin. Duration was 3months I believe. Looking at baseline VOA #s there is alot of additives left too. I'm.pleased. amsoil rep is going to go over it with me tomorrow. Goal for me is 14k to make it cost effective as the castrol syntek and Lucas i ran in my tundra. I need 200k miles more out of this hemi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Looks real good pickupman, I would say you can go 15k on that oil with that tbn still protecting, that is why your acid number is blank. I would make sure if you choose a longer oil change interval that you use a synthetic filter like RP and maybe even just change the filter and top off at the half way mark at 7500 miles. That is easily a 15k oil in your truck if you change the filter 1/2 way! I might even go to 18k and change the filter at 9k. Because you add a qrt at that point you will raise the tbn again. Copper and iron are coming up in everyone's, nothing you can do about that. I wouldn't sweat the boron, it is actually probably an additive to that oil. Your calcium and zinc are perfect even though it is 10k. Your wear numbers are similar to others, but a little better. I believe it is because of the miles and the good oil. Your engine is well broken in. A real impressive number is the moly at 160ppm. Very Good results

I just looked up a VOA of that oil 5w20, and the boron was BORON 253, so they flagged the boron but again that means nothing. It is not a big deal at all, and in fact your is lower then the VOA which means it is probably disappearing and being used up as you are driving. Just another lubricity additive, it just isn't as popular or effective as zinc or moly because it doesn't react with metal the same way. It is in suspension which means your filter could have collected it up as well.

I would say that is as good as it gets for a uoa considering it is of 5w20 ay 10k miles.

Last edited:

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks burla. I'm using the amsoil 25k mile filter on it. I really appreciate your insight. From reading. The boron is an additive like the Moly etc...

This truck sees just over 100 highway miles daily for work. I drive over monteagle too so alot of uphill load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, if you are doing all those miles especially in under 6 months, perhaps that filter is all you need. But don't take my word for it, cut it open and see if it is stiff. if it is stiff, it is no good, if it is pliable and no holes, it is still filtering.

hanginlooseinaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oil

aka. first time poster.. long time wrencher..

just went and bought 7 qts of Redline 5-20. for the 5.7 MDS hemi.....
going to run a 20-820 royal purp filter.
has 56k miles on it and it got a 'lifter' tick....NOT the exhaust tick.
replacing the lifters now, 900 dollars in parts, will let you know how the oil does.
all new lifters, gaskets, 1 gallon antifreeze, oil, and filter.. wow.. yea..
but.. except for the fk'n tick at 56k.. truck is fk'n solid..

burla.....
didn't feel like looking for an older post........but....
i added seafoam and the tick got a tad lighter but didn't go away. taking your advice and putting in the redline...
will let you know how it goes...... that fk'n connector on the back of the intake manifold is a ***** to get at.. No love there.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
aka. first time poster.. long time wrencher..

just went and bought 7 qts of Redline 5-20. for the 5.7 MDS hemi.....
going to run a 20-820 royal purp filter.
has 56k miles on it and it got a 'lifter' tick....NOT the exhaust tick.
replacing the lifters now, 900 dollars in parts, will let you know how the oil does.
all new lifters, gaskets, 1 gallon antifreeze, oil, and filter.. wow.. yea..
but.. except for the fk'n tick at 56k.. truck is fk'n solid..

thats a lot of work for a symptom that has no known ill effect on the operation of the motor. 'cept for the noticeable tick part........ya might of been able to just use the redline ......couple people say it quieted their motors.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That Lucas additive also quiets that lifter tick. I am not big on adding stuff but it does work if you need it. I would not open it up for lifters unless there are other reasons based on it being so common.

$miley