Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
oil is oil gentlemen ,change your oil every 5000 miles ,follow your uncle Ram direction what to have that engine drink ,and forget about it :Rock on: lol.

Who is this guy? JK probably a little true but if you believe that run non detergent oil and let me know how it goes :). The difference is not just the base stock but the additive pack that makes the brand different from another.

$miley

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
oil is oil gentlemen ,change your oil every 5000 miles ,follow your uncle Ram direction what to have that engine drink ,and forget about it :Rock on: lol.

This is FAR FAR from the truth... what rock have you been hiding under?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I use Oil of Olay twice a day... my Hemi chatter is still going strong, but my skin is getting so smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I agree when MDS kicks in, it sounds like crap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I put tow/haul on in the city and put it in 5 on the highway. I haven't tried via the tuner yet. I hate the rattle trap.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI, there's an amazon promotion right now for royal purple. Buy either a 6pack of 1qt or a 5 qt jug - get a free oil filter. Better stock up boys!

Rickyg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone run zmax in their rams? Thoughts? Is it just "snake oil" or are there any benefits?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone run zmax in their rams? Thoughts? Is it just "snake oil" or are there any benefits?

I've heard it's mostly mineral oil. So basically yes, snake oil. The only additive I've put in my truck has been one of those Lucas fuel system treatment.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here is the msds on Zmax, looks like 99% mineral oil. So if I had Hemi tick and didn't feel like changing my oil to see if I can quiet it, I might drop this in just to see if it helps. My opinion is this wouldn't be harmful but also not very beneficial either. I haven't seen any VOA's on it, but there is a 40 page thread on it, search "zMAX® - Testing - FTC" and see Jonny's post if you want to learn more. If I used any oil additive for any length of time, you can bet for sure I would be running a couple UOA's on that oil from Blackstone.

Tone21g

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a newb to the RAM world but have been a long time car guy (mustangs mostly). After reading all 66 pages I can tell that there is a vast wealth of info among RAM owners.
I just purchased a 2014 RAM 1500 express with the HEMI and the 8 speed. I only have 300 miles on the truck now but Im trying to come up with a game plan as far as oil and intervals. What is the general consensus for the 1st oil change??
I was planning -
Mobil 1 and RP filter at 3k miles,
Probably will go Penzoil Ulta PP and RP filter every 5k after words.
My goal is really to extend the life of the engine as long as possible as I plan on keeping the truck as long as I can (250k miles ++)

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

C120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411219457.556680.jpg

A friend of mine works at lube tech so I had an UOA complete on my last oil change. It want the most official UOA because I didn't have a baseline sample of oil but the report came back pretty good.

The above UOA is for 5000 miles mixed highway and city driving. Mobile One 5w20 full synthetic with a wix filter.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
quick question for Burla...

i have been running synthetic for 15k miles..with one change at 10k.

can I go back to dino oil, or am i stuck with synthetic now?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You certainly can go back to dino anytime you wish and it wont hurt anything. Just stay with 5w20. It's not what I recommend, but you can surely do it.

StoneRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just went to amazon and got 2 RP oil filters and 8 quarts of Redline 5w-20. This thread has increased the cost of my oil changes but as I plan on keeping my new ram for a long time i am sure its worth it.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Was a Waste of My Time!

Last edited:

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Thinner oil flows quicker at cold start-up

The more free flowing thinner oil at cold start-up, is also much less likely to cause the oil filter bypass to open up, compared to thicker oil.

Thinner oil also flows more at normal operating temperatures. And oil FLOW is lubrication, but oil pressure is NOT lubrication. Oil pressure is only a measurement of resistance to flow.

Oil flow is what carries heat away from internal engine components. Those engine components are DIRECTLY oil cooled, but only INdirectly water cooled.

Thinner oil will typically increase HP because of less viscous drag and reduced pumping losses, compared to thicker oils.

Thicker oil DOES NOT automatically provide better wear protection than thinner oils.

BOTTOM LINE: Thinner oils are better for most engine lubrication needs.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Ah No! Didn't ya get that memo? Cliff died from Aids! Years ago.

This is Actual Testing! Not some Gomer Pile & his Cousin Goober working in the garage on the weekend. .

I'm interested why you picked fram as an oil filter, are there not equal or better filters available?

interesting read........my oil is up there and I change it regularly.........on a side note, when ya read the words oil and **** in the same posts , it's no wonder these threads are popular.:roflsquared:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Syn did you see that list? The first choice is

***** The Ranking List itself, begins here *****

1. Prolong Engine Treatment added to 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra,

Lol, Common man. Chlorinated Paraffins is what we are recommending as "first choice"? You been around enough to know better then that. Prolong is the joke that started jokes of oil additives and your list has it in the 3 top recommended oils. Read here before putting that garbage in your truck people. There are many helpful links in this entire thread which I would ask anyone considering an oil to read, but adding chlorinated parrifins is something I never recommend unless you are trying to make your engine fail early for some reason.

Reactions: SyN