Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Follow up question. Wix XP or RP? I change oil about every 6k miles and will be using pup
Either will.serve you well imo .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I thought they had the 66RFE & 68RFE

One is for the 6.4 and the other is for the Diesel.

That 66rfe is why I did not buy a 2500 again, that transmission is a disappointment to say the least imo.
The shifting is poor up and down, it is geared way to high even with 4:10s and the weight of the truck combined with that trans does not let it put down that extra15hp and 29lbs more torque that the 6.4 has.
if you read up in the Heavy duty section there is not very many people happy with it.
They need to beef up the 8sp and stick in it then that sucker would be a beast.

JMO

http://www.ramforum.com/f158/2015_2500_6_4_towing_trans_experience-98711/

http://www.ramforum.com/f158/66rfe_transmission_16_2500_driving_me_nuts-95833/

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Either will serve you well, but feel free to buy one of each and cut them open after a oci and let the forum know what you think.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Follow up question. Wix XP or RP? I change oil about every 6k miles and will be using pup

at that OCI, i would use a wix filter. this assumes approx 6 month time frame.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
WI: Either of those filters have the Capability/Efficiency/Design of easily staying in service for 12K miles.
Removing either filter and throwing it away is a total waste of $$$.

Just letting you know you can leave either of those filters in service for 2 OCIs with never an issue.
There are thousands of owners who change their own oil who use these filters who do this.
This is what these filters were designed to do.

You don't have to do this!
I was just sharing information that would save you some $$ & less maintenance labor.

I am 52 almost 53. My body is still firm/hard but it just don't want to bend/twist like it should or used to.
I don't enjoy changing this filter! So I use a Oil Filter that allows me to keep the same filter for 2 service intervals. My mind tells me this is a No Brainier!
With the Fumoto Drain Valve (No Wrenching) my OCI are fast & mess free & easy on my old abused body. Plus Very Easy to aquire samples for UOA.

SyN Disclaimer: Only my Simple Complex Thoughts & Opinions!
I'm not here to yell & scream Follow Me / Do as I Do!

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the first oil change on my truck Friday after work. Truck was 2897 miles.

I went with 4 quarts of PUP 5W20 and 3 quarts of 0W40 for an average viscosity of 3W29 (or 3W28.5).

I drove it around on the weekend a little and my oil pressure is up 2 psi (at oil temp of 215), which is nothing major IMO, at idle in drive I am 39 or 40 psi (was 37 on FF) and at 2000 rpm cruising it was 54 (was 52 on FF). The motor is quiet but it was also quiet before.

I used a mopar filter (because I felt better with it under warranty). The filter location is tight on my 2017 and I am not sure I can cram the larger filter in there.

I will be changing it again in 6000 miles, this will carry me into winter so we will see how it does.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the first oil change on my truck Friday after work. Truck was 2897 miles.

I went with 4 quarts of PUP 5W20 and 3 quarts of 0W40 for an average viscosity of 3W29 (or 3W28.5).

I drove it around on the weekend a little and my oil pressure is up 2 psi (at oil temp of 215), which is nothing major IMO, at idle in drive I am 39 or 40 psi (was 37 on FF) and at 2000 rpm cruising it was 54 (was 52 on FF). The motor is quiet but it was also quiet before.

I used a mopar filter (because I felt better with it under warranty). The filter location is tight on my 2017 and I am not sure I can cram the larger filter in there.

I will be changing it again in 6000 miles, this will carry me into winter so we will see how it does.
That's a good combo of oil imo , just so you know my psi's are 1 to 2 psi higher than your's and I'm currently running PUP 3.5 qts of 0W-40 mixed with 3.5qts of 5W-30 PUP and a RP 10-48 Filter .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is another way of say'n you used a Mopar filter, it would be that you used a cellulose filter. I have never heard of a manufacturer denying coverage for a oil brand, never the less an oil filter. In the end it's your truck, many guys choose to run cellulose, I wouldn't use fear of something that has never happened as justification for it. Do a little research, maybe you will still use a paper filter, dunno.
Machinelube on filters.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Decided to get rid of the factory fill at 2880 miles and replaced with PYB 5w-20 and a RP 10-48 filter. Did I ever mention that the filter location is a PITA? Even with the zip lock method I still manage to spill a bit... everytime lol.
Anywho, when I was dumping in the 5 quart container of oil, it looked a bit darker compared to the other two single quart containers, and then towards the end some whittish clumps came out and of course down the funnel into the engine. Did this oil partially separate? Wish I had a picture. Date on the bottom of the jug was January 7, 2017.
Also, my oil pressure in now higher than it was with the previous factory fill. Truck would previously idle around 35psi warm and around 50 psi driving. Now its around 45 psi warm and closer to 60 psi driving going just north of 70 psi when accelerating around 4-5k rpm.
Should I be worried? Guess I am a bit or I wouldn't be posting this.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Syn posted filter comparisons-youtube

burla's comparison wix xp vs rp

Well I took a lot of flack for not comparing a wix xp to a RP that was a canister. So is it just me, or does this show the same exact thing? The napa platinum/wix xp appears tight thin pleats when compared to Royal Purple/Amsoil? I'm not necessarily saying which one is better for any giving person, just that it is a fact there is more thicker substantial media around the RP/Amsoil filter. Is that what you guys are seeing? Sorry for bringing up my mug again, but I thought this debate would add value.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Chunks would never be good in oil, but if it was a danger it would already likely be in the filter. Maybe calcium, dunno? If you were worried and you already drove, it's too late. You could cut open your filter and replace if you are worried, anything below 20 microns is already in your filter and wont leave it.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided to get rid of the factory fill at 2880 miles and replaced with PYB 5w-20 and a RP 10-48 filter. Did I ever mention that the filter location is a PITA? Even with the zip lock method I still manage to spill a bit... everytime lol.
Anywho, when I was dumping in the 5 quart container of oil, it looked a bit darker compared to the other two single quart containers, and then towards the end some whittish clumps came out and of course down the funnel into the engine. Did this oil partially separate? Wish I had a picture. Date on the bottom of the jug was January 7, 2017.
Also, my oil pressure in now higher than it was with the previous factory fill. Truck would previously idle around 35psi warm and around 50 psi driving. Now its around 45 psi warm and closer to 60 psi driving going just north of 70 psi when accelerating around 4-5k rpm.

I would be worried, that's a 10 psi jump at idle running the same viscosity of oil. Seems odd to me. Your only change here is the filter and the RP 10-48 is a top notch filter. I will eventually run one myself. The only thing that stopped me was FCA has made a couple of peoples lives difficult on the Wrangler forum I am on for not running an OEM filter under warranty.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

just wondering, did you check the cap on the jug to make sure there wasn't any tampering?

i would return everything to stock.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

White clumps??? Could be wax, but that's just my guess. I would change the oil and filter just for peace of mind.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
just wondering, did you check the cap on the jug to make sure there wasn't any tampering?

i would return everything to stock.

Jug was sealed. Pretty weird when the oil came out darker than the previous two single quart containers. Should of been the sign to stop.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My UOA just showed up!
Disappointed in the TBN!
I don't know if I can run PUP for 8K miles. 6K might be my ideal OCI.
My miles are 3/4 highway with very little idle or city driving.

I will share after I figure out how to black out my personal info.

4K miles on OCI & TBN - 2.8

Last edited:

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
White clumps??? Could be wax, but that's just my guess. I would change the oil and filter just for peace of mind.

That was my thoughts as well. Perhaps the wax settled out and that's why the oil looked darker? Seems very weird that could happen. I was only planning on using this oil for a couple thousand miles and then change out to PUP 0W-40/5W-20 mixture like grizzstang when winter comes along. Guess I may do this sooner than later lol.

On another note, the oil pressure seems to be more in line with the FF. Still a bit higher but definitely not as high as this morning. The oil never did quite get up to the 218 degrees that it normally does on my morning commute to work.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bummer Syn.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nobody would choose to add wax to their oil these days, but wax has a low melting point as well, and when going throughout engine wouldn't have a negative effect as some carbon. A little wax can be found in any conventional oil. One thing for sure if you don't want the possibility of a tiny amount of wax or impurities, buy synthetic oil. The entire point of this thread.

Penzoil co on wax.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Figured it out I think!
Your thoughts on the condition of my 5.7L @ 25K miles & PUP 5W-30. ?

This is 6Qts 5W-30 & 1Qt SRT 0W-40!

Ug this forum annoys the living hell out of me some of the time. I have to figure this out!

Last edited: