Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A guy at my work with a 2003 ram 3500 with the cummins just told me his current OCI is 20,000 on Rotella 15w40 .... thats CONVENTIONAL!!!

wow!
Sounds crazy ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Is there room for something like this

Filter Wrenches

I don't know how similar your guys trucks it is to my truck but I would say no problem with the bigger filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Something that has always troubled me is the difference between what the labs say and what machinelube says as far as oil change intervals. I wonder if towards the end of a run should we all be adding a calcium supplement to keep Tan low. I leave it to your judgement, here is the paper. This may be something I do when I finish my seven year redline test, start adding calcium or change the oil sooner, even though my numbers are good, they are right at the limit. Another example of how someone like shoottokill has a valid point of a lower oci. The days of the long interval are over, for both diesel and gas, for many reasons to list. The gov't has been attacking oil and gas formulations like nothing seen before. Protect your equipment, learn, listen, adapt. What was fact ten or twenty years ago is not our reality today.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there room for something like this

Filter Wrenches

I don't know how similar your guys trucks it is to my truck but I would say no problem with the bigger filter.
This is what I use. Plenty of room for this!

I'll get a pic later on today of the filter

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something that has always troubled me is the difference between what the labs say and what machinelube says as far as oil change intervals. I wonder if towards the end of a run should we all be adding a calcium supplement to keep Tan low. I leave it to your judgement, here is the paper. This may be something I do when I finish my seven year redline test, start adding calcium or change the oil sooner, even though my numbers are good, they are right at the limit. Another example of how someone like shoottokill has a valid point of a lower oci. The days of the long interval are over, for both diesel and gas, for many reasons to list. The gov't has been attacking oil and gas formulations like nothing seen before. Protect your equipment, learn, listen, adapt. What was fact ten or twenty years ago is not our reality today.
Very interesting in deed !

So as a rule of thumb if a VOA resulted in a TBN of 10 of a given oil then @ a TBN rating of 4 - 5 of this oil would be a good time to drain ?

I have to say that is higher than I would expect ...
By adding a calcium supplement to the oil @ 4k - 5k one should be able to extend the drain interval significantly ...as the calcium increases the TBN , therefore keeping it above the TAN increase %.

How much calcium is the $$$ question

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
A guy at my work with a 2003 ram 3500 with the cummins just told me his current OCI is 20,000 on Rotella 15w40 .... thats CONVENTIONAL!!!

wow!

We have truck drivers load NH3 in our plant everyday!
Most have specialized filtering kits installed on their engines that keep the oil super clean (Filtered) down to a really small micron rating. Similar to Amsoils dual by-pass kit.

These drivers change the filters every 10K miles.
Most run Rotella or Delo 15W-40.
They also run samples every so often!
BUT!

They change their oil every 40K-50K miles.
Granted very little stop/go driving -- Mostly highway / Interstate driving as well as idling.

The oil Never wears out only the additive package gets depleted .
Most of those additives are replaced with makeup Oil.

I do know many of these truck drivers fairly personally and I do talk to them quite rarely about oil as you could imagine.
There are many who visit our plant that have well over 1,000,000 miles some close to 2 million with no major rebuilds in the past using this method so there's no use disputing it works.
If you do attempt to you really make yourself look foolish.

Though these over the road rigs driving habits a far different then your daily driver.

Filtering oil I feel is far more important then most might consider.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been trying to remember where I have seen SyN's avatar pic before. It just dawned on me it is a David Lee Roth album cover. What do I win?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have been trying to remember where I have seen SyN's avatar pic before. It just dawned on me it is a David Lee Roth album cover. What do I win?

A Glazed Donut!

It's funny I still have the whole Van Halen CD collection as well as with Sammy. My kids are both 21 and 20 and they love the old Van Halen and new Van Halen.

Van Halen diver down was my first concert that I will never forget. Always will be my favorite group diamond Dave was by far the most awesome entertainer I have ever witnessed.
Though his antics today I guess that's what happens when you get old you get kind of crazy and senile

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Going on a 500 mile trip on Friday with the family. Good opportunity for the voodoo juice moly to plate[emoji16]

Be careful plating that molly...It's been known to have serious side effects on your brain...It makes some people continuously post nonsense in Synthetic Oil threads all over the internet...lol...

Attachments

• slide_4.jpg
    slide_4.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 24

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RLK they say when tbn meets tan is an appropriate time to change oil and that is around 3. It says until the tbn gets down to 5 the Tan literally doesn't rise. I don't think it would take that much calcium to boost tbn to extend a drain interval. Cheap security imo if you are running an expensive oil, but if your running costco deal m1, I would change it every 6 mos.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
5w20? Misprint? What was the last oil you used?

I used 5w-20 as first batch of pennzoil program that was this sample. The first sample was redline. I am going to try really hard to only use ultra this oil change even if I have to add makeup so I can get a true reading. This current run is 5W-30 pup sample will be around 8-10k depending on what I get done.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Everything seems to look good on it. Can i ask why you tried the Lucas oil stabilizer?

I had some from a couple years back and I was seeing oil usage so I threw that in and a can of JB oil stuff. I guess both thickened it up to about a 40W. I would not recommend the Lucas stuff by any means. It is just oil from my understanding and waste of money but I wasted that money before I knew!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
70bf871f5800b5e7311c6040518be7be.jpg

The latest oil sample.

It would seem wear did decrease using PUP vs Redline but hard to say since I had to add crap to make it to the oil change and the OCI WAS NOT the same.

Last edited:

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I need a high molybdenum oil additive I can add to my wife's 4.7. We will be traveling around 3,000 miles. Something I can purchase at an Auto parts store

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi