Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those wondering how much room is around the bigger filters on 2013+ trucks:7fec6836ee6023a64c5383fb3e8ddf50.jpg86fec7f5bc1dfdf8562b0fce186b4f7a.jpg
Plenty of room to get it on & off imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Reguarding BURLA's post about TBN and TAN.

They mentioned Polaris labs. Anyone here ever used them?

Thoughts?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reguarding BURLA's post about TBN and TAN.

They mentioned Polaris labs. Anyone here ever used them?

Thoughts?
They would be my second choice over Blackstone. Oil Analyzers concerns me a bit due to their ties with Amsoil...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I personally have had great luck with blackstone. Their reports are great and can upload w/o name, pretty cool. The find stuff you forgot you put in your truck.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same here. Blackstone has always been good and their communication is great.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep., I think Blackstone is spot on !
So far so good for me .

The only negative report I've seen was a speculation of SyN .

I HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR SyN , but I've never had an issue with Blackstone labs and I've sent then 7 ea UOA'S & 1ea VOA .

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^^My speculation was wrong.
My report was spot on...
My first report with wear #s was incredibly low for those low of miles on Mr. VooDoo.

I was just extremely disappointed in the horribly low TBN only after 4K miles.
The oil even resisted shearing fairly decently: I was impressed.

I'm really curious on my current OCI: Even though no Towing will be done...
As much as I bragged this Oil up it best not disappoint...

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^My speculation was wrong.
My report was spot on...
My first report with wear #s was incredibly low for those low of miles on Mr. VooDoo.

I was just extremely disappointed in the horribly low TBN only after 4K miles.
The oil even resisted shearing fairly decently: I was impressed.

LOL Mr VooDoo. Love it:favorites13:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
RLK they say when tbn meets tan is an appropriate time to change oil and that is around 3. It says until the tbn gets down to 5 the Tan literally doesn't rise. I don't think it would take that much calcium to boost tbn to extend a drain interval. Cheap security imo if you are running an expensive oil, but if your running costco deal m1, I would change it every 6 mos.

What they are saying truly does make a lot of sense. When the protector (TBN) is still reasonable BUT low enough that a also reasonable amount of TAN can slowly overpower it.... its time to change or add you calcium because a storm is abrewin. The corrosive abilities may be very low but its starting to progress. Ive never liked the though of running an oil down to 1 or 2 TBN anyway. Thats is JMO though. I dont like to cut it that close when you truly don't know if you current OCI will last as long as the last one that you took down to 1 TBN. Its a guessing game when you get that close IMO.

Piece of mind is changeing just a little early knowing you were full well protected the entire OCI.

Of course..... this is all speculation though. Mine at that.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking a TBN of 55-60 % Of an oils VOA is when it's time to drain or add Calcium ...?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this thread is dedicated to syn oil, moly, and cam/lifter issues however has anyone taken into account what the engines that have had cam/lifter failure been through? It's easy to say I had a failure and I was running brand X oil, but what wasn't said was that it had made 100 quarter miles runs sprayin a double shot ( just forgot that part). It's just like the guy that was on here a couple f months ago whining because his transmission blew. A couple of posts later he said I was just doing doughnuts in the parking lot, had to be the transmissions fault. I respect all you're research and dedication, hell, you guys have convinced me to take my first oil sample ever just to see how my oi is doing. I think it also needs to be considered what the truck has been through before making a judgment call on brand X,Y,or Z oil.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I've wondered about that too.

And Manifold bolts. I swear if you get to reading here, you'd think every single truck had issues, but I've talked to MANY dozens of owners in the last year who have never heard of an issue.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

And Manifold bolts. I swear if you get to reading here, you'd think every single truck had issues, but I've talked to MANY dozens of owners in the last year who have never heard of an issue.

Just for some perspective,

10 years ago I knew nothing about Redline, oil analysis, and/or the additives in the oils.

I ran mobil 1 in everything because I thought it was the best thing available. Never had one thought in my mind about what oil could or could not be doing to my engine.

This thread is Very educational whether you have problems or not.
Again just perspective. Not an argument :happy107:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Just a matter of time on them. Maybe it is worse up here since it gets very cold I am not sure but had nothing but problems on that front.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just a matter of time on them. Maybe it is worse up here since it gets very cold I am not sure but had nothing but problems on that front.

Did you fix your manifold problem? If so what was your fix or did you replace with OEM parts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
From my personal view, we have uncovered something because we were lucky enough (ha) to have a control group of trucks that had hemi tick, to actually see what one lubricant formula can do against the field, and I blown away with the results. Minimizing the results because of my or the groups fallibility or poking holes is certainly a valid thing to do. I feel many guys have taking an agenda too far, but then again maybe some of us have went a little far as well, certainly I would be the most culpable. It is human nature if you figure something out and it helped you, that you would want to help the next guy. A better man would have walked on egg shells when he shoulda, but I'm old and grumpy and to be honest it aint my style. I'm sure if we could have the last 5 years back we would have done things different. But it is hard to first find twenty guys to try something, and have them to bother to do it rigidly when most of them could give two ***** about oil. The fact that most of them have moved on from any discussion just reveals that this was a small event in their general lives. Cool my tick is fixed, now back to work and back to raising my kids and playing ball or whatever, and I would argue that is how it should be. Or the other few, damn I got suckered into a 80 dollar oil change and my stuff is still broke.

I'm proud of what we did, I'm proud of the extensive testing and reporting some guys did, and I'm glad for every person who tried anything. It certainly wont make any science journal, but it is there for the world to see, maybe someone will read what we've done and do a better more scientific method. One would hope manufacturers would address weakness at a production level, but clearly that does not happen at our pace, and consumers are left to make the best of it. The fact so many guys complain in the forum of tick, seemingly a weekly event, there is definitely is something that has a decent success rate if nothing else you can say about the PAO-Ester high moly based formula. It would be to each individual person to decide whether or not this formula would be worthwhile in a smooth running hemi. I would think you have to be crazy not to try it in a ticking hemi with all of the information in this forum, but that is also a matter of choice and there is no guarantees. My work comes in spurts, I will be busy every spare moment til winter, I will try and be available for pm's if some guys have some q's, but might not be that day.

Hopefully all points of view can have respect, but if you want me to respond with respect, don't have an opinion what we have done has a lack of importance for the guys who fixed their stuff. It is rather funny to hear guys who don't have hemi tick minimize what that is like for the guys who have it. And as it turns out it may be as simple as an oil change to fix. What is often viewed as a loss of objectivity because these guys get stuck on one brand, in reality is a loss of objectivity from the person who for whatever reason is standing against the results and making it personal. Like somehow so many guys are happy with results is an attack on them, and this is not an attack on one person, seams like we have seen it over and over. Hopefully we get a better understanding of both the success rates and maybe why we are getting them, or maybe even that the reported success rates were an anomaly. Whatever, I take the results as they come. Keep on testing and talking, BBB out til winter.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well said BBB !

Hope you have a productive fall my friend .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When I started this thread I would say no chance an oil can fix a problem, and maybe a big part of me still believes that, but I would say some applications have "needs" more then other applications, and most oils don't meet those needs. Most oils are made for the general market, but if you are a person in the "other" then general market, you should search for your own answers. IMO hemi's are not general market engines, they are not only prone to the host of problems we are getting but they are prone to heavy wear. Hopefully we will get a bigger group of guys to further what we have done these 5 years. So that is my plea to ram forum, let's take this further. Record, Report, and test things you feel would work to solve our applications weaknesses.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
When we established more proof showing what a formulation like redline will do for the hemi's I think it would be very valuable to contact a company like machine lube with our findings and let them take it further if they wish. We cannot do it too soon otherwise it will be brushed off. But..... if done correctly it could go a long way. As I said before I will be another test subject at my next oil change. but not for the tic just generally loud engine noise. Will be using redline.

EDIT: obviously the information that we would gather is the most valuable part....But! It is key that if we do present it to anybody that could take this further than a forum than it needs to be presented properly or it will be looked at as a joke. ( this is all info for way out into the future)

Last edited: